Torque wrench sale | GTAMotorcycle.com

Torque wrench sale

nobbie48

Site Supporter
PartSource has DeWalt torque wrenches on sale at half price. 3/8 and 1/2 $169.99 and 179.99 regular price.

I don't know if this is any better overall that PA but if you want a brand name check it out.

I think these are basically the old Mastercraft Maximum wrenches (which were good) but they still don't have the lifetime warranty. I think they're on sale at CT as well

I am a crap, but very enthusiastic, amateur mechanic and these things should be a must have for any bike owner. You only need to strip one oil pan bolt to understand why.

Just make sure to check calibration. My Mastercraft Maximum was out by ~30% (100 ft-lb indicated was ~70 ft-lb). In that condition, you would get closer with torque by feel than trusting the tool. After calibrating it (and checking it yearly) it hasn't needed another adjustment. I'm not sure if they missed factory cal or if there was an assembly error that caused it to change state after calibration.

These things you need to set them back to zero when done or they will lose calibration.

These things you need to set them back to zero when done or they will lose calibration.

I always store the wrench backed off (not all the way as that can cause it's own issues, normally ~30 lb-ft). That wasn't the problem in my particular case.

"Although considered by some to be good practice, extensive testing has clearly shown that unwinding a Norbar torque wrench to its minimum setting, hence relaxing the spring between uses, has no effect upon the wrench calibration. However, if left for a long period of time without use, it is desirable to reduce the setting to the minimum scale value (often 20% of the maximum). The tool should never be adjusted to zero because this can adversely affect the calibration of the wrench"

Last edited:
I set mines to zero. I will calibrate & see

How do you calibrate torque wrenches?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Socket in vice. Torque wrench horizontal. Known weight hanging on handle at known distance. See what torque wrench clicks at. IIRC I am using 40lbs at 2' for 80 ft-lb cal. I think I can get the weight out a bit farther (28" or so) to get another cal point.

You could clamp the drive directly in the vice but this will mess it up over time so i just use a tired impact socket. They are softer so the teeth can bite in.

I always store the wrench backed off (not all the way as that can cause it's own issues, normally ~30 lb-ft). That wasn't the problem in my particular case.

"Although considered by some to be good practice, extensive testing has clearly shown that unwinding a Norbar torque wrench to its minimum setting, hence relaxing the spring between uses, has no effect upon the wrench calibration. However, if left for a long period of time without use, it is desirable to reduce the setting to the minimum scale value (often 20% of the maximum). The tool should never be adjusted to zero because this can adversely affect the calibration of the wrench"

If you back the wrench off too far a part in the mechanism drops out. Affecting calibration is an understatement. It becomes a power bar.

Just like a unit of measurement, it is plain old English. Pound force inch. Probably means torque of 40 lbs at 1 foot. But what do I know?

Back
Top Bottom