Action camera? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Action camera?

CHRIS63

I want to purchase an action camera to use as a dashcam and maybe start a motorcycle vlog channel. I have looked at the Xiamoi Yi and obviously know about GoPro, but I do not know which one would be better.

Hopefully some of you could steer me in the right direction here, thanks.

I want to purchase an action camera to use as a dashcam and maybe start a motorcycle vlog channel. I have looked at the Xiamoi Yi and obviously know about GoPro, but I do not know which one would be better.

Hopefully some of you could steer me in the right direction here, thanks.
Caution with action cameras for dashcam.. They may not record footage during the event of an accident. Cameras buffer data and write to the memory card. Often this could be more than 10 seconds worth. A large knock on tge camera coukd dislodge the battery and it wont have written the footage out. Saw this happen to a friend's gopro in an accident. Dash cams are designed to save veey quickly to the memory card to avoid this problem.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

What Kiwi said. Get a dedicated Dashcam if you`re using it for evidence in an accident.

I had the Drift Ghost S action cam until recently. While i enjoyed the profile for the side of the helmet, i've decided to mount it on my chin and sprung for a Xiamoi Yi. No reason to splurge on a GoPro unless you need 4k recording, even then i believe Xiamoi has a few products for that.

For reference my gf has a Hero 4 and side by side footage with the Yi looks almost identical. If i had to name something the GoPro is maybe a hair smoother but i'm using this for accident events/weird events, not recording myself being a bad *** so i dont care.

Any cheap gimbals/dampers for these things yet for use on a bike? I still have vibration issues with my cams no matter where I put them on the bike.

Any cheap gimbals/dampers for these things yet for use on a bike? I still have vibration issues with my cams no matter where I put them on the bike.

you have to mount on your body/helmet to avoid excessive vibration.

I have a Yi 4k+. The included electronic image stabilization smoothes out all shaking. Almost as good as the Hero 6 but more than sufficient for road riding. No bumps at all even on the lovely Toronto streets when head mounted. If you are going to bike mount the camera, then the hero 6 with Optical image stabilization may be needed as you don't have the aid of the human neck and head to stabilize the worst of bumps. Only downside is the Yi 4k+ EIS doesnt work when it is upside down, which is a problem for the motovlogger view of dash and grips with a helmet mount.

[video=youtube_share;xAIle5aOsuI]https://youtu.be/xAIle5aOsuI[/video]

Last edited:
[video=youtube;Ur5gshof3to]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=Ur5gshof3to[/video]

good demo of how effective stabilization is

and a guide to it

https://actioncamguides.com/types-of-stabilization-in-action-cameras

I don't think mechanical attempts are worthwhile

That looks like it still might be body or head mounted. I’ve got image stabilization on my Garmin cams but it doesn’t cope with the strong harmonic stuff from the bike well. I was thinking an oil damped mount would work but I don’t think those are small and unobtrusive.

Well the vibration visible in the first one and the tilting of the bike as he slows for the fork in the road says handlebar.

Well the vibration visible in the first one and the tilting of the bike as he slows for the fork in the road says handlebar.

yeah definitely handlebar. but its also only a bicycle. would be way worse on a motorbike. EIS isn't enough to counter that. head or chest mount is the way to go if you want smooth video (with stabilization)

Back
Top Bottom