Stuck Oil Filters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Oil Filters

Unhappy Stuck Oil Filters

Spent about 3 hours doing an oil change on the FZ, my god what a nightmare.

I should preface that i've done oil changes on bikes in the past without any issues.

Anyways, no idea what the hell the dealer did to torque this thing on..i guess they did it in spite as i had them roll the 1st service into the purchase.

1. Could not get it to turn by hand, tried rubber gloves and paper.
    2. Broke out the filter pliers and on the initial grab one side of the filter folded in like a wet noodle. I literally sat there looking at it with my mouth dropped.
    3. Resorted to pounding a screwdriver through it in a few places to try and leverage it open. Only result was tearing the thing to pieces.
    4. Broke out some blankets laid the bike down on her side so i could get at the now shredded filter better.
    5. Ended up using needle nose pliers in the circular vents with wrench pliers clamped on to rotate the damn thing off the threads. I swear the needle nose were going to snap before the thing would rotate.

What a whole bunch of drama.
    Last edited by Evoex; 04-05-2018 at 07:27 PM.
    14' GROM - Stretched & slammed beast
    17' FZ09 - Totaled by a left turner
    15' R3 - Sold but missed.
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

Re: Stuck Oil Filters

Hand tight, and not even that hand tight if you're overly burly. The pressure sucks them tight. I am sure you also know to lube up the gasket ring on the filter before turning it on.

Also, start using either the K&N filters with welded on socket OR, use stock filters and purchase the Channel Lock oil filter pliers. I bought mine at Canadian Tire.

Quote Originally Posted by TK4 View Post
    Yes, but none of those worked for me too - which forced me to purchase my lovely pliers by Channel Lock.

I said wrench pliers but they are filter pliers.

Yep, hand tight with some oil on the seal. Don't expect any issues when this one is due.
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

princess auto and maybe CTC have various sizes of cap style, they are molded plastic and fit like a little hat, sort of a socket set for a filter. They are almost impossible to mess up. Pretty handy because sometimes they are just wound on beyond belief.

strap wrench
    or decent pair of slip jaw pliers
    or hammer and chisel and the real nasty ones

I'd put money on the possibility that the oil change monkey at the dealership probably didn't lube the o-ring before spinning on the new filter.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

Quote Originally Posted by caboose56 View Post
    No one wants you here.

Can you please leave?

The '05 VFR I bought (and sold shortly thereafter) had an oil filter that was stuck on. Couldn't find my Honda oil filter cap tool and I was already halfway through the oil change. Filter was stuck on there crazy tight. CT oil filter wrench I had was too old and wouldn't tighten enough.
    Tried the screwdriver technique and same result. Shredded the oil filter.

I got it off somehow, but I don't remember how. I think I repressed the memory.

I've done countless oil changes, never had this issue before. Must have been left on too long or as others mentioned, the previous person over tightened and/or didn't lube the o-ring on the filter.
    -Matt
    2000 VFR800 INTERCEPTOR

2005 VFR800 Interceptor (sold)
    1997 VFR750F (SMIDSY victim)
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 VF500F Honda Interceptor (sold)

Glad to hear you won the battle!

I think most of us who do our own oil changes have come across this at least once. Usually it happens on a vehicle you have just purchased so you have no idea who did the last oil/filter change. The main reason for a stuck filter in my opinion is the lack of lubrication on the rubber seal before installing the filter.

Always have a good filter wrench. Those plastic ones at CTC are crap, get one made of steel. I have a strap wrench as a back-up and if all else fails then you're on to the screwdriver through the filter and so on.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

As has been said no lube on the o ring upon install and/or severe overtightening probably caused this nightmare.

I've used wrench similar to image (my is 12 points vs. 6) to remove filters for 15+ years on my ST and it has worked well.

I usually change the oil/filter without full removal of the lower fairing and due to very tight access for my hand I use the same wrench to tighten the filter about a quarter turn after just snugging it up a bit by hand.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

Ran into that once on my BMW K75. The oil filter is up inside the sump, accessed by removing a little cover. Never had a problem using OEM BMW filters, but the first time I cheaped-out and used an aftermarket ( Fram ) filter, it became the nightmare from hell. On top of that, I had ridden the bike to the cottage, so tool availability was an issue. Had to get real creative, but three hours and a lot of sweat and cussing later, success! Won't do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by justmike View Post
    Ran into that once on my BMW K75. The oil filter is up inside the sump, accessed by removing a little cover. Never had a problem using OEM BMW filters, but the first time I cheaped-out and used an aftermarket ( Fram ) filter, it became the nightmare from hell. On top of that, I had ridden the bike to the cottage, so tool availability was an issue. Had to get real creative, but three hours and a lot of sweat and cussing later, success! Won't do that again.
    I have a metal oil filter wrench (socket) specifically for that bike. I didn't want the hassle of a filter stuck up in there.

The only time they are tough to get off is when they are overtightened.Easy to fix.Finger tight and a 1/4 turn and then safety wire to gear clamp.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

2009 Ducati MTS 1100S
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

^ agree with this
    the oil on the seal thing is to lubricate it when tightening
    if they're hard to get off, it's because someone has gorilla'd it on there

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I have a metal oil filter wrench (socket) specifically for that bike. I didn't want the hassle of a filter stuck up in there.
    Yes, I have a nice heavy duty sandcast aluminum ofw that fits the OEM filters perfectly - it's at least 25 years old and works like a charm.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.o...BoC-eAQAvD_BwE

Never have to think about changing the oil again

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.o...BoC-eAQAvD_BwE

Never have to think about changing the oil again
    That's pretty much exactly what i used and it crushed the filter on first contact.

I hate strap wrenches but they seem to work well for some people. At a garage sale my dad found this weird socketed jaw thing that you can put on a ratchet and it clamps harder on the filter with more torque being applied. It works amazing and I'm going to steal it when he's not looking
    2006 Honda CB919
    "Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Evoex View Post
    That's pretty much exactly what i used and it crushed the filter on first contact.
    I think that depends alot on where you grab the filter.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    I've got to stop saying "how stupid can you be?", too many people take it as a challenge!