Stuck Oil Filters | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stuck Oil Filters

I think that depends alot on where you grab the filter.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hasn't been a problem the last 4 times i did this. :(

Hasn't been a problem the last 4 times i did this. :(
Lol sometimes it's not us. Sometimes it really is the filter.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Mine was stuck, screwdriver through it trick did it..but then got some oil on the pipes... ugh

Mine was stuck, screwdriver through it trick did it..but then got some oil on the pipes... ugh

I get oil on the pipes every time I change the filter on my ST. It's located on the side of the engine, directly above the left side pipes. As soon as you loosen the filter the oil runs down the side of the engine case and onto the pipes. Great design! It still beats my old FJ600 with the aftermarket 4-into-1 Wolf exhaust, which I had to remove every time in order to get at the filter housing.

I put an old foil pie tin under the filter to catch drips. Had the same issue with my old FJ6 with a Yosh. lol

I get oil on the pipes every time I change the filter on my ST. It's located on the side of the engine, directly above the left side pipes. As soon as you loosen the filter the oil runs down the side of the engine case and onto the pipes. Great design! It still beats my old FJ600 with the aftermarket 4-into-1 Wolf exhaust, which I had to remove every time in order to get at the filter housing.
I shape a tinfoil spillway over the pipes (or fairings) to keep draining oil from slopping on them -- works like a charm!

I also had a stubborn oil filter once. Tried strap wrench, not enough clearance for the chain wrench, screw driver procedure seemed too brutal to consider yet... Finally just took a strip of sand paper, folded it lengthwise (rough sides out), placed it between filter and steel strap wrench and it rotated enough too remove with just my hand. A trick I will never forget.
Happy Apexes.

If you grab the filter can at the top or bottom you stand a much better chance of not mangling it. Think about how easy it is to crush a pop can in its middle compared to its ends...

If you grab the filter can at the top or bottom you stand a much better chance of not mangling it. Think about how easy it is to crush a pop can in its middle compared to its ends...

Imagine my surprise when the bottom/sidewall caved.

Once had a stuck filter I was removing for someone....grabbed tightly at the top and the middle twisted. Better to grab it from the base.

And anyone attach magnets to their filter?

Last edited:
I too have an FZ1 and use the K&N oil filters with the nut on the end.
Never had an issue.

Attachments

• KN-204.jpg
    KN-204.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 11
I too have an FZ1 and use the K&N oil filters with the nut on the end.
Never had an issue.

Had one blow an O-ring on me. OEM only for me now and I’ve only ever had one problematic filter which was from the factory on a new bike.

Vacuum pressure...

A vacuum is a vacuum, no “pressure” involved in it.

Pressure is a positive force.

A vacuum is a negative force.

I've had my share of "filter change issues" at times but your experience tops anything I have ever confronted. I have no sure-fire solution suggestions for you but you have my sincere sympathy; that's for sure!!

Back
Top Bottom