Stuck Oil Filters - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck Oil Filters

Re: Stuck Oil Filters

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I think that depends alot on where you grab the filter.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    Hasn't been a problem the last 4 times i did this.
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

Quote Originally Posted by Evoex View Post
    Hasn't been a problem the last 4 times i did this.
    Lol sometimes it's not us. Sometimes it really is the filter.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    I've got to stop saying "how stupid can you be?", too many people take it as a challenge!

Mine was stuck, screwdriver through it trick did it..but then got some oil on the pipes... ugh
    " Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else. "

2013 Honda CB500XA - Black beauty
    2012 Volkswagen Sportwagon - White ***** with a booty

Quote Originally Posted by LePhillou View Post
    Mine was stuck, screwdriver through it trick did it..but then got some oil on the pipes... ugh
    I get oil on the pipes every time I change the filter on my ST. It's located on the side of the engine, directly above the left side pipes. As soon as you loosen the filter the oil runs down the side of the engine case and onto the pipes. Great design! It still beats my old FJ600 with the aftermarket 4-into-1 Wolf exhaust, which I had to remove every time in order to get at the filter housing.

Malks
    1997 ST1100

I put an old foil pie tin under the filter to catch drips. Had the same issue with my old FJ6 with a Yosh. lol

punch it with a flat head screw driver. problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMech View Post
    punch it with a flat head screw driver. problem solved.
    One can tell you didn't bother to read much of this thread
    17' FZ09 Intensity White
    "Don't confuse my attitude with my personality. My personality is who i am, my attitude depends on who you are."

Quote Originally Posted by Malks View Post
    I get oil on the pipes every time I change the filter on my ST. It's located on the side of the engine, directly above the left side pipes. As soon as you loosen the filter the oil runs down the side of the engine case and onto the pipes. Great design! It still beats my old FJ600 with the aftermarket 4-into-1 Wolf exhaust, which I had to remove every time in order to get at the filter housing.
    I shape a tinfoil spillway over the pipes (or fairings) to keep draining oil from slopping on them -- works like a charm!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Present: FJR 1300, GSXR1300, XV920R, GL1000, TR25W
    Past: M50, EX250R, GL1500, XV250, TS200R, TW200, XV1100, CB750SS, H2 MIV, Rupp Roadster, MX125, MX250, DT400

I also had a stubborn oil filter once. Tried strap wrench, not enough clearance for the chain wrench, screw driver procedure seemed too brutal to consider yet... Finally just took a strip of sand paper, folded it lengthwise (rough sides out), placed it between filter and steel strap wrench and it rotated enough too remove with just my hand. A trick I will never forget.
    Happy Apexes.

If you grab the filter can at the top or bottom you stand a much better chance of not mangling it. Think about how easy it is to crush a pop can in its middle compared to its ends...
    2011 Yamaha FZS800
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    If you grab the filter can at the top or bottom you stand a much better chance of not mangling it. Think about how easy it is to crush a pop can in its middle compared to its ends...
    Imagine my surprise when the bottom/sidewall caved.
    17' FZ09 Intensity White

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
    Once had a stuck filter I was removing for someone....grabbed tightly at the top and the middle twisted. Better to grab it from the base.

And anyone attach magnets to their filter?
    Last edited by Riceburner; Yesterday at 01:43 PM.