Fuel Tank Dent (Need Help) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fuel Tank Dent (Need Help)

faivious

I dropped my bike for the first time in the most uneventful way possible...
Was moving my bike around and parked it near my staircase and in hindsight I probably shouldn't have because the ground is uneven but that's neither here nor there.

So the bike toppled over and the tank landed on the edge of the concrete stairs leaving a sharp dent. Dent itself is caved sharp inwards but not deep and there is a small spot where the paint chipped off and bare metal is exposed.

Any recommendations on products to ensure it doesn't rust up?

It's a ninja 300.

I would try your dealer for touch up paint. I think you can get a small nail polish type bottle.

edit - a small dab of vaseline will help hold off rust forming in the meantime? a stitch in time saves nine...

Last edited:
I feel so bad for you.
I think it is steel and a magnet would check that real quick, rust is oxidation and the basic concept is to keep the oxygen away from exposed metal, bad news is there is also a dent on the inside. If the dent on the inside is below fuel level and not regularly exposed to condensation it will probably never rust, if the outside crease is sealed from air and water with paint or epoxy then that part of the tank will be as safe as any other part
man that suks I feel so bad for you.

I feel so bad for you.
I think it is steel and a magnet would check that real quick, rust is oxidation and the basic concept is to keep the oxygen away from exposed metal, bad news is there is also a dent on the inside. If the dent on the inside is below fuel level and not regularly exposed to condensation it will probably never rust, if the outside crease is sealed from air and water with paint or epoxy then that part of the tank will be as safe as any other part
man that suks I feel so bad for you.

The dent is mid-tank level and is definitely below line of average fuel capacity.
What can happen if the rust starts to form on the inside and outside?
Is it better for me to just dish out $300-500 on a new tank?

The dent is mid-tank level and is definitely below line of average fuel capacity.
What can happen if the rust starts to form on the inside and outside?
Is it better for me to just dish out $300-500 on a new tank?

nah, just use some touch up paint, it will work. I think trials is saying your tank inside will be ok, keeping the tank full over the winter is a good idea anyway.

I had a bike fall over on my trailer the first day I owned it :| huge crease down the tank, it never rusted through to the point of leaking but I was pizz'd off at myself every time I looked at it. I keep my bikes for a long time so I wish I had bought a new tank way back when it happened. If you do chose to replace it consider it purely for the aesthetics.

..... If you do chose to replace it consider it purely for the aesthetics.

And to avoid the questions about what happened to your tank!!

Bummer. I know nothing about repairing this type of dent, but you may want cruise YouTube to see if there is an easy way to fix this. If it can't be easily repaired I'd monitor KIJIJI and other similar forums for a replacement tank off of an accidented or parts bike if possible.

Ahhhhh! Damn! Crap! that's a bad one :| feel bad for you, is going to drive you crazy every time you look at it unless you replace it.
... what are your long term plans for the bike? Might make a difference.

after taking care of the rust issue
cosmetically you can get a tank cover
much less money than replacing it
and you won't have to look at that dent anymore
I've seen some nice carbon fibre looking ones

Going to be keeping it around for at least 3-6 years.
Honestly I don't mind looking at the dent, alls I care about is the rust spreading :(

The ColorRite comes with:
Touch-up Pen, Clearcoat, Primer, 3 Prep-wipes, 3M sandpaper combo pack, tack cloth for cleaning, masking tape, light cup polishing compound

Will this get the job done?

after taking care of the rust issue
cosmetically you can get a tank cover
much less money than replacing it
and you won't have to look at that dent anymore
I've seen some nice carbon fibre looking ones

great idea; maybe a tank bra? maybe the vinyl/leather/cloth type?

Mask off the tank with tape and paper. Sand down the cracked paint to bare metal, feather it to the surrounding paint then immediately spray on some auto-grade sealer/primer. If you don't really care about the dent consider just slapping a vinyl sticker or something over the "repair".

That cover looks like a great solution for the cosmetics...but yes, do seal up the exposed metal, even if the results are not pretty, assuming you're going to hide it with a cover.

That tank will never look good again, unless you bring it to a professional.
go to the dealer and buy a new tank.
Problem solved, bike looks good again.

Or, live with the battle scars by putting some ugly sticker on the dent.

That tank will never look good again, unless you bring it to a professional.
go to the dealer and buy a new tank.
Problem solved, bike looks good again.

Or, live with the battle scars by putting some ugly sticker on the dent.

I better start coming up with a good story of how it happened instead of saying it fell on my stairs.. lmao!

Back
Top Bottom