Fuel Tank Dent (Need Help) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fuel Tank Dent (Need Help)

Going to be keeping it around for at least 3-6 years.
Honestly I don't mind looking at the dent, alls I care about is the rust spreading :(

The ColorRite comes with:
Touch-up Pen, Clearcoat, Primer, 3 Prep-wipes, 3M sandpaper combo pack, tack cloth for cleaning, masking tape, light cup polishing compound

Will this get the job done?

If you can get a new tank for $400 and sell your dented one for $200 you're out $200. Divide by 3-6 years. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

When you sell the bike the tank may be a $$$ factor.

I would go with the new tank and be done with it.

If you can get a new tank for $400 and sell your dented one for $200 you're out $200. Divide by 3-6 years. Only you can decide if it's worth it.

When you sell the bike the tank may be a $$$ factor.

I would go with the new tank and be done with it.

Maybe but you'll be sitting on that $200 for a while and looking for that $400 good condition, same colour tank for probably longer, if you want local. People part these bikes out when they're wrecked and the tank is usually part of that mess.

This is the only good black one on eBay sub-$400.
$350 + shipping + import fees
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2014-Kawasa...ash=item51dde00891:g:sgYAAOSwNyFWcdZQ&vxp=mtr

EDIT: or this one
$325 + $70 shipping to Niagara, New York. Probably want over $100 to ship to Ontario + any extra fees to get it over the boarder depending on who they ship with.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/KAWASAKI-EX...ash=item58e23ae2a4:g:2EsAAOSwdIFXxHMt&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Color Rite seems to have the right touch up pen and some extras that come with it (primer, cleancoat, polishing compound).
But it's $50 + $70 shipping, and that's USD...
Is this worth doing? I don't think I can drop $400+ on a new tank, at least not now..

Color Rite seems to have the right touch up pen and some extras that come with it (primer, cleancoat, polishing compound).
But it's $50 + $70 shipping, and that's USD...
Is this worth doing? I don't think I can drop $400+ on a new tank, at least not now..

Not to me. You could buy good quality rattle can paint, some bondo, sand papper, clear coat and the rest of the stuff locally for less....and learn how to repair it expecting DIY first time results. If you're only worried about rust, just sand/paint around the damaged area, then hit it with some regular rattle can.

If you don't like looking at that, buy the carbon tank cover or any other tank cover on eBay that matches the rest of your paint scheme.

Java posted the direct link. I posted the eBay link.

And here I was about to buy a bike with 2 dents in the fuel tank thinking I could fix them

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

And here I was about to buy a bike with 2 dents in the fuel tank thinking I could fix them

Dents are easily fixable. The Op's dent is tougher than most because it travels through a bend or crease, very hard to make that look perfect.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Opinion on these dents

4e3d2c614b4df0fd30e8e7324a33478e.jpg
34bf4dd6f6166d877450ef1d7fc93917.jpg

The dent is mid-tank level and is definitely below line of average fuel capacity.
What can happen if the rust starts to form on the inside and outside?
Is it better for me to just dish out $300-500 on a new tank?

I bought a used bike once that had not been properly stored over the winter. The previous owner never filled the tank with gas before winter storage, so the top half of the tank on the inside was rusted. I kept that bike for 10 years and I thought at some point the fuel filter would get clogged with rust, but the rust was just surface rust (not flaking off), so it had no effect on the running of the bike and never clogged the fuel filter. So, no worries.

Aside from used tanks I looked up Partsfish cost and was surprised to see a new tank is about US $620, way higher than I expected it to be.

Have you thought about paintless dent removal. I've had this done on 2 different vehicles ($100 and $150) and they removed about 5 - 6 ugly parking lot dings each. Even on my dark grey Accord the repaired areas were invisible, as if dents never happened. Obviously your paint has to be repaired but they might be able to remove the dent and then you just have to touch up.

^ ones on the right look they'd come out simply - auto body shop
left side has a nasty crease

don't look like dents from falling over
what happened to the bike?

It doesn't look like any paint has cracked off the tank. If there isn't any bare metal to start rusting...why not just ride it as is?

you can get the dents fixed. dollars time. but you will have to paint - isn't going to be a perfect match. money time. do you get the whole bike painted? money time. I'd rather ride....

food for thought

They look like the handlebars hit the tank, not sure how.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

They seem pretty minor but I'm not sure if I'll be able to live with them long term

Will check out the bike in person and report back

And sorry to OP if I detailed the thread

A number of old threads reference going to a PDR (paintless dent repair) shop setup for autos. Guess they can all do tanks? Makes sense despite the thicker gauge steel found on tanks vs cars. Anyone have any positive referrals for work done please?

Back
Top Bottom