Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Nissan 350Z

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Porsche Boxster

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
Do you know offhand if they included any requirement on the size of the screen? One of my parents previous vehicles (a Pilot IIRC) had a tiny screen (~2") built into the rearview mirror (behind the reflective surface). Not great to see but you should be able to identify the presence of an obstacle and you don't have a giant turd stuck to the dash.

I'm sure the regulations do cover the size of the screen but I have no idea what that minimum size would be. That Pilot would have been built before the regulation took effect, so it wouldn't have been called upon to meet the new regulations.

My van has Chrysler Uconnect 5" and it's built into the dash, doesn't look tacked-on. The tacked-on look is a deliberate design choice that someone made, because it doesn't have to be that way.

Have you looked the the BMW 1 series? 128 M-Sport is a nice ride.

Would a Chrysler Crossfire fit your needs? Don't know much about them but always thought they were handsome convertables. Would fit your budget.

I drove one during an event chrysler had at the hershey centre. What a disappointing turd. I was looking forward to the drive but the transmission killed every ounce of fun in that car. It was automatic with manual mode. In manual it was ~3 seconds between the time you hit the shifter and the time it bothered to change. IIRC it would also change up automatically at redline. Useless.

The Crossfire was a reworked/restyled Mercedes of some sort ... don't recall which one. Mercedes isn't known for "fun to drive" and this wasn't an exception.

I did some digging into Porsches of the vintage mentioned. Do Not Buy. Reason: IMS bearing.

The Crossfire was a reworked/restyled Mercedes of some sort ... don't recall which one. Mercedes isn't known for "fun to drive" and this wasn't an exception.

I did some digging into Porsches of the vintage mentioned. Do Not Buy. Reason: IMS bearing.

I think it was the previous gen SLK. I never drove it in SLK form (hopefully a manual was available).

I think for 10k you'd be having a hard time to find anything other than a Z3 or Miata. I wouldn't touch a 10k Boxster, S2000s are very expensive even with higher kms, the 350z coupe was about 12k when i was looking last year so i think the softtop would probably be more but not too sure tbh.

Really, I'd check out Miata/MX5 and Solstice if I wanted a 2seater in decent shape for 10k. With everything else, I think you'd be gambling. I'm not even sure you can get any of the others you listed at the 10k price point, and definitely not after plates/taxes.

I've seen every single car I posted in my price range. It is definitely true that many of them would have higher mileage or are possibly quite beat up, both of which I'm trying to avoid. And you are right - Z3 and Miata seem to be the most affordable.
That's why Z3 was my top choice. Could find one with the 6cyl engine for ~ $7000 + tax. Seems to be a fairly reliable car. Had that rivet issue in the rear but that was mostly for the M and 3.0 models.

Not interested in Miata at all, I added it to the poll because I know that it's usually the number one rated roadster everywhere and everyone would just bug me about not listing it, a bit surprised that most people here prefer the S2000.

Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice are too new to be insured with Hagerty.

For 10 grand on that list I'd go with either a 6 cylinder BMW or 6 speed/225hp TT. I base this pretty much off of fun to drive and driving feel. A Miata would be cool if you wanted to do some track days.

My favourites to drive on the list would be either the S2000 or Boxster if it's an S but I couldn't recommend someone buy a cheapish Boxster and any S2000 you find for $10,000 will be beat.

A 6cyl BMW is what I'm currently leaning towards, unless I find some seriously disqualifying data. I understand that they are more pricey to maintain than Japanese/American cars but these particular models (Z3/Z4) seem to have few issues.

I know the Miata has a reputation as a chick's car but it is the best of the bunch that you've listed, taking into account being able to find one.

S2000, good luck finding one that hasn't been thrashed, and I still don't think it's as good as a Miata and certainly won't be as cheap for a good one.

Forget the Porsche. Google "Porsche IMS" and you'll see why. I know the Porsche addicts will all start screaming "it didn't affect all years" and "not all of them did it" but the horror stories, and the failure of the manufacturer to provide any support, all add up to RUN AWAY.

The Mercedes is not a sporty car despite its appearance. Neither is the Audi TT (front wheel drive). Yes, the Audiphiles will scream "all wheel drive". No, it's front wheel drive with a little bit of help from the back. Transverse engine. It's a VW Golf - which is not a bad car, but I don't think it's really what you are looking for.

I don't know much about the BMWs.

And now, I have an off the wall suggestion.

Go to your local Chrysler dealer and test-drive a Fiat 124.

Yes, I know it is the same underneath as the new Miata. That is not a bad thing. Yes, I know the journalists rag on the 1.4 turbo engine. They're full of it. Yes, I know the dealers are having trouble selling them. Means you can probably argue with them about the price tag ... and you'll get a new car with a warranty and minimal headaches and probably 0% financing. For all those worrying about "Fix It Again Tony" ... remember, this car is a Mazda. The only thing Fiat is the engine and the badge, and the engine is good.

Go drive one.

Yes, I can't really afford to be fixing a Porsche, and I've only seen one for less than $10,000 (which mysteriously disappeared off kijiji even though the owner assured me that it was still for sale despite the ad being taken off (?)).

Don't have much interest in Japanese 2 seaters at this time. Threw them out there because I like to read people's opinions.

As for Mercedes, I don't like the SLK much anyhow. Love the SL500 (R129) but they never came with a stick shift unfortunately and are a bit porky.

Audi TT - you are right, I already have a Golf. :)

... And I appreciate the off the wall but I'm still paying off my 2016 VW so don't want to be financing 2 vehicles (Fiat's rates are crap btw). Base Spider is around $35,000 all in. Plus trying to keep insurance in check by going with the "classic car" route.

Last edited:
That poll looks like a list of cars for my wife. How about the gender-M roadsters? Vipers, Corvettes, F-types, Mustang GTs, 911's?

How about you send me a cheque? ;)

On a serious note, looking for a cheap(er), small vehicle.
It has to share a one car garage with 2 (occasionaly more) motorcycles.

I don't car much for Vipers, Corvettes, F-Types and Mustang GTs to be honest. 911 is one of my dream cars though.

Last edited:
I picked up a beautiful 2004 Z4 with only 20k on it last year for my wife.Never seen snow or rain, had never been out in the sun for more than 4 hours.Bought it from one of my customers who bought it for his wife. I paid $15,000 which is on the high side but it was in perfect condition.In your price range I think you should be able to find a decent Z3. Tons of them down in the states where they don’t rust.Miatas are nice but a little on the small side for long road trips which we do a lot of.

Have you ever tested the 2.5 vs 3.0? I could find a good 2.5 for around 12K.

last comment on the touch screen thing

I get that it's a great way to organize/control many tasks
in a small piece of real estate
Nav, climate, radio, vehicle info etc
and embedded in the dash is fine
what I really don't like is how it's made to look like a tablet stuck on the dash
but I get it, marketing interfering with design
millennials might get interested if they make it look like an i-gadget
they won't even open the hood....they'll see that thing and it's game over

sorry OP
back to your regularly scheduled programming

It's alright man, they piss me off too. Mostly the location and flimsy look to them. I feel like I would accidentally break the damn thing off one day. As long as I have old school controls for temperature and audio volume I can put up with this foolishness though.

Last edited:
Would a Chrysler Crossfire fit your needs? Don't know much about them but always thought they were handsome convertables. Would fit your budget.

It probably would, thanks for reminding me of its existence. Many people didn't consider them attractive but I much prefer the looks to those of the SLK, on which it is based.

Coupes are dirt cheap, finding a manual convertible is a bit difficult for a good price.

Have you ever tested the 2.5 vs 3.0? I could find a good 2.5 for around 12K.
Mine is the 2.5 with auto trans.Horsepower is adequate for fun driving and would be even better with a stick.Ive never driven a 3.0 but I’m sure you would be paying a premium for that.Long story short I’m sure you would be happy with a 2.5 manual.I would be more concerned with the condition of the car,mileage and whether is been winter driven.If a 3.0 comes along,great.Keep looking,there are lots of gently driven garage queens out there, you just have to be patient.I was fortunate,mine literally fell into my lap, I wasn’t looking for a Z4 but I just couldn’t turn it down.

Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder?

I'm old enough to know exactly which vehicle you are talking about, and know a couple people who had one, once upon a time.

And on that same note ... MR2. If you can find one that hasn't returned to the earth ...

Back
Top Bottom