• Porsche Boxster

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

DemonPig

Do not cast your pearls before swine
Site Supporter
Considering an affordable (~10K) roadster.

Never had a convertible, nor a 2 seater. Another reason is limited garage space, the car has to be tiny.

Front runners at this point are Z3 (weak rear suspension) and Z4 (a bit pricey). I prefer RWD and has to be manual transmission.

Looking mainly at 1998-2004 time period as these cars are fairly modern, easy to find with low mileage and insurable with Hagerty (lower premiums for occasionally driven classic/exotic/rare cars).

What is your favorite roadster and why?

Last edited:
IMO, I was looking around that generation and went with a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP.

The Solstice GXP is a very strong/quick high performance car and a good street ride. It's won the SCCA national AX championship and is a two time winner of SCCA T2 production road racing class. Against all those cars and more. I have a friend who regularly wins open CASC ON AX events with his GXP.

Near-50/50 weight distribution and four-wheel control-arm independent suspension. It's a better suspension than the corvette and more adjustable too.
2.0 twinscroll turbo I4, 260 hp / 260 lb-ft tq stock, 280 whp / 340 lb-ft tq with a basic tune (that tq is available at 1800 rpm)
RWD
MT
LSD
Available loaded or with minimal options

They are very reliable if not seriously modded or abused. Great engine and reliability. Cheap parts and maintenance. And they get a lot of interest. I've had the GXP for over ten years and it's been perfectly reliable. With a bit of searching low mileage mint beauty queens are out there.

Negatives are a cheap interior compared to competition and not as refined as it could have been.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Audi TT, BMW Z3, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxster are pricey to buy, own and maintain, and all too are too slow/poser unless you get the S or M models which adds more cost.
Honda S2000, great but does not take to even basic mods well and need to rev the crap out of it to really get to power. Hard to find clean.
Mazda MX-5, too feminine and slow / low hp.
Mercedes SLK, auto only, also expensive to buy, own and maintain.
Nissan 350Z, seriously considered, but heavy, not mod friendly, and a surprising amount of platform issues.

Last edited:
Could always take a look at Volvo C30, they at least have a rear seat, cheaper to maintain than the Germans.

Honda S2000, hard to find one that hasn't been messed around with.

Older Corvette?? For me i'd love a 68-73, almost bought a 1970 454 4 speed when i was in my teens, always wonder how much that car would be worth today.

I think for 10k you'd be having a hard time to find anything other than a Z3 or Miata. I wouldn't touch a 10k Boxster, S2000s are very expensive even with higher kms, the 350z coupe was about 12k when i was looking last year so i think the softtop would probably be more but not too sure tbh.

Really, I'd check out Miata/MX5 and Solstice if I wanted a 2seater in decent shape for 10k. With everything else, I think you'd be gambling. I'm not even sure you can get any of the others you listed at the 10k price point, and definitely not after plates/taxes.

For 10 grand on that list I'd go with either a 6 cylinder BMW or 6 speed/225hp TT. I base this pretty much off of fun to drive and driving feel. A Miata would be cool if you wanted to do some track days.

My favourites to drive on the list would be either the S2000 or Boxster if it's an S but I couldn't recommend someone buy a cheapish Boxster and any S2000 you find for $10,000 will be beat.

Gulp! I’ve bounced this one around myself. Going from American V8 Mustang for V8 sound track, plenty of options, nice touring and cruising to a MX5 for sweet shifting, light maintenance, and to Hell with others thinking it’s a chick car. Lol.

I like the Pontiac/Saturn twins. The gear box wasn’t impressive when I test drove one a couple of years ago. Could have been the car itself.

Why I can put up with a notchy V8 compared to the cable shifts of the GMs, I’m not sure. Maybe the sound of the V8 makes me forgive it more?

In any case, the safe bet is a Mazda. If you wear sunglasses and a ball cap, it doesn’t matter if others kick sand at you. It’s a nice drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of that list I'd pick the TT
only because I think they look neat

agree with the Miata
not a performance car
but lots of fun
and for 10K you'd prolly get one
with much more life left in it

I know the Miata has a reputation as a chick's car but it is the best of the bunch that you've listed, taking into account being able to find one.

S2000, good luck finding one that hasn't been thrashed, and I still don't think it's as good as a Miata and certainly won't be as cheap for a good one.

Forget the Porsche. Google "Porsche IMS" and you'll see why. I know the Porsche addicts will all start screaming "it didn't affect all years" and "not all of them did it" but the horror stories, and the failure of the manufacturer to provide any support, all add up to RUN AWAY.

The Mercedes is not a sporty car despite its appearance. Neither is the Audi TT (front wheel drive). Yes, the Audiphiles will scream "all wheel drive". No, it's front wheel drive with a little bit of help from the back. Transverse engine. It's a VW Golf - which is not a bad car, but I don't think it's really what you are looking for.

I don't know much about the BMWs.

And now, I have an off the wall suggestion.

Go to your local Chrysler dealer and test-drive a Fiat 124.

Yes, I know it is the same underneath as the new Miata. That is not a bad thing. Yes, I know the journalists rag on the 1.4 turbo engine. They're full of it. Yes, I know the dealers are having trouble selling them. Means you can probably argue with them about the price tag ... and you'll get a new car with a warranty and minimal headaches and probably 0% financing. For all those worrying about "Fix It Again Tony" ... remember, this car is a Mazda. The only thing Fiat is the engine and the badge, and the engine is good.

Go drive one.

You're not finding a decent S2000 for less than $20k. Upside is they're unlikely to depreciate, if not appreciate in value, so your actual cost of ownership is going to be minimal.

Your not getting a 124 for anywhere near the OP's 10k benchmark. But brianP did say his idea was off the wall.
I drove a TT for three yrs, it was an outstanding handling car, light and quick. I have friends with boxsters, they seem like a 10k yacht, easy to buy and keeping it afloat is really pricey, unless your doing "toy" mileage then its not such a concern.
We had a first gen Miata, I should have just put it in a shed and kept it. They are fun enough, cheap to keep and there are thousands of aftermarket bits, and lots enthusiasts.
I'd buy another MX in a heartbeat.

I can't wait to be able to afford one of those new Mazda's as a toy car...love the look of them and they look stupid fun. Not sure it makes much financial sense to buy one now though :(

As for the others....I've driven the S2000 a few times and stupid fun, but you really need to wind it in order to make it dance...fun shifter though. First car I ever drove with a Start button....guy traded it in on a Jag when I was working at a dealership years ago.

Never seen that Fiat but it's a nice little car....should be fun to boot around and I'm sure that turbo can be increased.

Keep in mind that a cheap used German car usually ends up being really, really expensive.

Somewhere I remember reading that an LS swap into a Miata isn’t that difficult.

That poll looks like a list of cars for my wife. How about the gender-M roadsters? Vipers, Corvettes, F-types, Mustang GTs, 911's?

Mustangs in OP's year range and most corvettes don't fit his size limit... However if you go a few years back from the year range, that changes on the Mustang. Could go with a 5 liter fox body convertible. Fun, easy to maintain, easy to modify.

Wouldn't that completely ruin the car? The weight and balance should be all messed up. I'd rather have a mustang.

^ probably eh?
would be a beast on the dragstrip
but road driving would be ruined

Surprisingly the weight only increases by 200ish lbs. 2350>2550lbs. The weight bias changes by less than 1.5%. The aluminum block LS is remarkably light.

And 400+ hp in a Miata. Close to 600 if you wanted to use a 6.3L.

Derp.

Hot rod shop near me built a Miata / mustang 5L drivetrain. They did all the suspension to make it drive right, sort of an AC cobra deal. It sounds frightening just idling.

5L swap would also be cool, and much less expensive.

The 5L is an iron block so I’d guess the weight increase would be greater.

Back
Top Bottom