Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Nissan 350Z

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Porsche Boxster

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
5L swap would also be cool, and much less expensive.

The 5L is an iron block so I’d guess the weight increase would be greater.

5L is a straight up swap w. brackets and minimal bay mods. Knew a chic on MTBR with one. Used it for autocross.

Finally got to doing some work on the car.

Used a Motive pressure bleeder to put in fresh brake fluid and changed over to some new shoes.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was worried about putting the car on stands but it was fairly painless and did the job well.

My VW Golf R was literally able to hold the 8 tires for the solstice (four on rims) for the tire swap. Great car :).
attachment.php

The Solstice is done.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Both cars.
attachment.php

Cheeers

@demonpig

Did you ever end up getting a car?

I know the target was an early 2k car in decent shape for $10k etc.

I went older as most know and very happy with the result.

There are some other MGs and MX5 that have V6 & V8 conversions and can be obtained for a decent price. The market is divided on them. The purist hate them and you have to make sure the conversion was a quality job.

Now that I’m getting to know the MGBs a little more, they are pretty reliable. And parts are plentiful for any stuff you might need to do.

If it’s modern amenities, stick with a early 2k car.

But if you shift your preferences a bit, you might find something of interest.

Btw, the MG fits in the garage very nicely. I’ve put over 2000 kms on it just in local drives.

Somethings to consider for comfort and believe it’s pretty universal to most.

A wind blocker behind the seats.

Shoot for a lighter colour interior if you can. Top down, black, it’s hot.

I’ve still got room in the garage

Hagarty’s guarantee replacement at $13,500 with a couple of current pics, is $18 for the year. Total annual premium is $248. $2 million liability and the rest.

I did go for historical plates. Hagarty doesn’t care one way or the other. Just as long as 10,000 kms or less annual driving and pleasure use. Can’t be a primary car in the household.

The MTO does care. Stipulation of only driving for club events, parades, test drives or showing to potential buyers.

Let’s just say, if ever pulled over, I’m test driving the car. $18 for annual sticker.

Driving through Lindsay may get pulled over by the OPP. With the aggressive stance on riders with helmets, apparently, they are the same with drivers and historical plates. Otherwise, an enjoyable experience.

There is no comparison. This MG reminds you it’s not a modern vehicle. No A/C, crank windows, no power steering etc.

But, it is a pleasure to drive in the open road. The clutch is light, the shifting is very nice. The steering accurate. And it’s easy to operate.

It’s not a Mazda. But, I knew that going in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm old enough to know exactly which vehicle you are talking about, and know a couple people who had one, once upon a time.

And on that same note ... MR2. If you can find one that hasn't returned to the earth ...

Watch the snap over steer on the MR2. Great car otherwise.

2M4.

via Tapatalk

My best friend had an 86 2M6 and it was a blast.

I really couldn’t get into a 4 banger.

If I could find a clean GT from 1988 at a reasonable price and colour I like, I’d probably be all over if.

but when things go wrong.....my god they are a pain to work on.

Loved the upgraded interior with speakers in the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nakkers - yes, I got a 2000 Z3 for $6,350. ~155K on it when I got it. Not perfect but pretty good overall. Have a slight power steering leak to fix still. Replaced the rear shocks and some small cosmetic parts. Would like to brace the rear end and maybe replace the bushings as it does dance a bit if the road is uneven while cornering. Overall, great fun with this car. Takes up little space in the garage and while it's not fast, it's zippy enough.
Insurance is $288 a year for me. Regular plates.
Average around 10l/100km.

I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap roadster. I'm sure it would be even more lively with the 2.8 or 3.0 motor but I couldn't find one for a decent price in a decent shape so stuck with the 2.5 which is really not too bad anyhow.

Last edited:
Watch the snap over steer on the MR2. Great car otherwise.

I got to try one of these when it was near new. right off I realized it had almost zero flywheel; and needed to be revved like a bike. Was a giant go cart. for the 2 hour drive I took it was way more car than this driver lol.

I’v been scoping the used toy market and it’s the same as bikes. There is the price it’s listed for and then the price it sells for. Many ads have been sitting for awhile. Taken down, reposted, price changed. Or they just don’t sell.

The S2000 is a sweet ride. But, it’s still a mechanical machine that needs parts and maintenance. I don’t know for sure but, I’m going to assume there are some things that are a PITA to source when needed. It’s not a Civic with a huge supply at the ready.

As they age, they break. Simple as that. A/C compressor? Suspension bushings etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looked on kijiji and at $25-30,000 for a clean one just seems silly for what it is and the age.
the great thing is, when you are done with it, you can sell it for what you paid for if not more.
I'm gonna side with Sunny on this one.
My BIL brought one up from the states, drove it as a pleasure vehicle for a few years and made a few bucks when he sold it.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

We had a Sky redline for a few years then sold it for more than we paid this year. Not bad for a toy and way better than any motorcycle i have owned.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

^---- This. I had collector car insurance on my VW and it was 18 years old at the time of purchase.
Ghia, Thing or Corrado(sp?)?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom