Honda NSR250R and Suzuki RGV250, Are these legal in Ontario? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda NSR250R and Suzuki RGV250, Are these legal in Ontario?

Hey guys, I am just wondering if there are any complications with registering and/or riding these bikes in Ontario? the NSR250R is my favourite bike of all time. TIA guys.
I would suggest calling insurance companies and/or brokers to make sure. Insurers keep changing their policies every year in the GTA. And they don't always make sense. Who knows, the NSR could be blacklisted for whatever reason.

Transport Canada approval may be another hurdle
if they were never registered as an approved vehicle for Canadian standards
you will never get a registration in any province

edit: I stand corrected on the 15 year exemption for TC approval

Last edited:
Yes but it is hard to get insurance for several reasons.

As far as I know the NSR has to be imported so for one some companies won't even quote you until AFTER it's imported and the VIN is in the MTO system. Second some are blacklisted (but they won't tell you that until after you buy). Third, these are older models and many companies won't touch them for that reason as well.

I think I've seen RGV250s for sale in Ontario so some of the import issues might not apply.

Otherwise I'm sure you could get one plated if you can find insurance.

I thought about importing an Aprilia RS250 but the only person I know of that has one (who is on this forum) said getting insurance was a pain and wouldn't tell me what he was paying on it so I gave up and just went with an RS125 that was already plated here.

Also looked into buying an older Honda CBR250RR. Even though it's "just a 250" it was blacklisted by my company as a supersport.

Transport Canada approval may be another hurdle
if they were never registered as an approved vehicle for Canadian standards
you will never get a registration in any province
Does the collector vehicle thing not apply to motorcycles? I was under the impression almost anything over 15 years old can be imported legally regardless.

I have always wanted an FZR250, I get a laugh every time I watch this video![video=youtube;E0KphKB95Qg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0KphKB95Qg[/video]

Thanks for all of the replies guys, so it seems that it's only worth it to purchase one from an individual that has the bike plated and insured here.

These seem about the same--20 seconds to 300 km/h

[video=youtube;YKaLAz8-qjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKaLAz8-qjU[/video]

I imported a 1992 TZR250RSp in 1995 and had street title , only one in province at the time. Insurance was available then and I am sure you can import any 15 year old bike without any issues from transport canada.

I just rode an 1992 RGV250 and it is a dog compared to today's four strokes except for weight

But, a current Kawasaki 400 ( 2018) is a way better bike in every area.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-Ninja-400-ABS

First current 400 size four stroke in a very long time.

BB

Last edited:
What, are all those speedos screwed up? Talk about being optimistic.

My old CBX 250 was blacklisted, so not surprised at what else is.

But that one has an engine almost 6x bigger.

But my CBX1000 isn't, lol.

CBX250? Wasn't that a putt-putt single?

I don't think it's in the same class as an NSR, RGV or FZ - they are all race inspired bikes (maybe an early CBR250RR?).

These seem about the same--20 seconds to 300 km/h

[video=youtube;YKaLAz8-qjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKaLAz8-qjU[/video]

I imported a 1992 TZR250RSp in 1995 and had street title , only one in province at the time. Insurance was available then and I am sure you can import any 15 year old bike without any issues from transport canada.

I just rode an 1992 RGV250 and it is a dog compared to today's four strokes except for weight

BB
The RGV are tough to ride on the street, they make power between 8500RPM and off at 11000RPM. The later V motors were a bit better but maintaining them was crazy expensive.

I like the new Ninja 400, it pretty much blows away the 300 crowd - reviews and dyno results show it's spanking KTM's 390. Will be interesting to see how insurance companies view it.

The RGV are tough to ride on the street, they make power between 8500RPM and off at 11000RPM. The later V motors were a bit better but maintaining them was crazy expensive.

I like the new Ninja 400, it pretty much blows away the 300 crowd - reviews and dyno results show it's spanking KTM's 390. Will be interesting to see how insurance companies view it.
Did they redesign the 400 or is it still just a 650 with smaller pistons?

Did they redesign the 400 or is it still just a 650 with smaller pistons?

The new 400 is more like a bored-out-again 300 (even though few parts are in common), and has no relation to the 650.

I'm aware of a FZR250 in Ontario somewhere ... a member of this forum had one for a while but sold it last year. Very neat bike. It was originally imported from Japan.

You can import anything more than 15 years old without going through the Transport Canada hurdles. Whether you can get insurance for it at a non-extravagant rate, is quite another matter. If you break a part that is specific to the bike, replacement parts will be a challenge. A tip-over can be heartbreaking.

The bikes listed by the original poster are both two-strokes. I know some people are two-stroke fanatics but personally ... (I've never owned one, although I've ridden a few) ... I don't get the appeal. They run rough. They stink. They don't last very long. They're finicky. They suck fuel. They're prone to fouling spark plugs on a whim. They seize. Few people know how to fix them or tune them.

BB

Curious, do you mean the 92 RGV250 is a dog compared to today's Ninja3/r3/ktm rc90?
And would you say the 92 TZR is also a dog, same as the RGV250?

The bikes listed by the original poster are both two-strokes. I know some people are two-stroke fanatics but personally ... (I've never owned one, although I've ridden a few) ... I don't get the appeal. They run rough. They stink. They don't last very long. They're finicky. They suck fuel. They're prone to fouling spark plugs on a whim. They seize. Few people know how to fix them or tune them.
They are more tunable and in the old days packed more punch than 4 strokes. 20 years ago a street RGV 250 made 50+HP in it's power-band, almost impossible on a 4 stroke.

This made them good for the track. Small displacement 2 strokes don't make good street bikes for all the reasons you mentioned.

I think the end was around 1990 for street 2 strokes. Honda an Yamaha brought out some sizziling 250 4cyl 4strokes. The 2 strokes made 40+HP from 8.5-11K RPM, the 4 strokes made 40HP from 12-20Krpm. 4 strokes were cleaner, easier to ride, and more dependable for the street.

Curious, do you mean the 92 RGV250 is a dog compared to today's Ninja3/r3/ktm rc90?
And would you say the 92 TZR is also a dog, same as the RGV250?
The old bikes are more race oriented, on the track they will eat a modern 250/300. On the street, things might be a lot closer. A new Ninja 400 probably beats them all.

The new 400 is more like a bored-out-again 300 (even though few parts are in common), and has no relation to the 650.

I'm aware of a FZR250 in Ontario somewhere ... a member of this forum had one for a while but sold it last year. Very neat bike. It was originally imported from Japan.

You can import anything more than 15 years old without going through the Transport Canada hurdles. Whether you can get insurance for it at a non-extravagant rate, is quite another matter. If you break a part that is specific to the bike, replacement parts will be a challenge. A tip-over can be heartbreaking.

Except the Forks, triples, and swing arm. :)

Back
Top Bottom