vehicle title transfer - what should be done? | GTAMotorcycle.com

vehicle title transfer - what should be done?

slogan

I have a question. If one decided to transfer a vehicle title to a different person with no charge (not a sale), because the original person doesn't need it anymore, what should be done in that situation?
Is the safety required? or just give the vehicle part and the second person registers it under his name??

Thanks for info.

You can transfer it tax-free. Details here:

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/how-do-i-transfer-ownership-vehicle-family-member

The recipient can either look after the safety and e-test (e-test may not be required, it's not always for ownership transfers anymore, the laws changed recently in that regard), or one can do them ahead of time if they want. Either works, but a safety will need to be done in your situation - the ONLY exemption where it can be transferred without a safety is spouse to spouse - again, details in the link above.

Would still need to provide a safety and etest.

You don't have to do either when selling a vehicle to anyone. The only legal requirement (and even that isn't really enforced) is that the seller is supposed to provide the buyer the UVIP before the sale is completed. That's it.

from Service Ontario:

[FONT=&quot]You can transfer ownership without paying the retail sales tax when receiving a vehicle from a:[/FONT]

• spouse
  • parent or step-parent
  • grandparent or step-grandparent
  • son or step-son
  • daughter or step-daughter
  • grandson or step-grandson
  • granddaughter or step-granddaughter
  • son-in-law
  • daughter-in-law
  • father-in-law
  • mother-in-law
  • sibling
  • half siblings (siblings with a common parent)
  • adopted siblings (siblings with a common parent through adoption)

So, then his father in-law transfers it to him, unfit and unplated, and he transfers it to his mother, and she safeties it.

Just one extra step.

^ good idea
but the caveat is the vehicle can only have that done once in a 12 month period
I know more about this than should be necessary
don't ask me why, plz

Yes. I saw this as well. The family member transfer can be done only once in 12 month.

The trick is that all happens in a middle of the week... and apperantly he wants to pick up his new car tomorrow...

If he takes off the licence plate, is there any option to get a temporary one so I could drive it to safety check on Monday?

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

You can transfer it tax-free. Details here:

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/how-do-i-transfer-ownership-vehicle-family-member

The recipient can either look after the safety and e-test (e-test may not be required, it's not always for ownership transfers anymore, the laws changed recently in that regard), or one can do them ahead of time if they want. Either works, but a safety will need to be done in your situation - the ONLY exemption where it can be transferred without a safety is spouse to spouse - again, details in the link above.

You don't have to do either when selling a vehicle to anyone. The only legal requirement (and even that isn't really enforced) is that the seller is supposed to provide the buyer the UVIP before the sale is completed. That's it.

He asked originally if he just provides the person the ownership and they get it registered.

You (the buyer) would still need to provide a valid safety to register it into your name.

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my orig post

If he takes off the licence plate, is there any option to get a temporary one so I could drive it to safety check on Monday?

As long as it's still registered in the existing owners name (IE, "FIT" on the ownership), yes, he can get a temp plate/sticker.

If he transfers it into his/her name before there's a safety cert for it a new ownership will be issued stating "UNFIT", and at that point there is no way at all to get a temp plate/sticker as it's not considered roadworthy anymore.

As long as it's still registered in the existing owners name (IE, "FIT" on the ownership), yes, he can get a temp plate/sticker.

If he transfers it into his/her name before there's a safety cert for it a new ownership will be issued stating "UNFIT", and at that point there is no way at all to get a temp plate/sticker as it's not considered roadworthy anymore.

Thanks alot for information. I guess we solved the issue, I could agree with my father in law that he keeps the old licence plate on the old car, and gets a new one for the new car he got. So, we can transfer the ownership with no rush. I assume the ownership and the licence plate can be both sold together...

Plates are not transferrable. They stay with the original plate owner and can either be re-used on a different/new vehicle (that's why the seller always keeps them, along with the plate portion of the ownership) when selling a vehicle, or you can turn them in at any Service Ontario and get refunded the balance of the plate sticker (if there's still a valid sticker) if you want.

The new owner will get issued a new set of plates along with the temp sticker when he/she goes to get it. There's no more paper temps anymore, just a real plate (which will become the permanent plate once the car is certified) but with a "T" sticker on it vs an actual traditional date sticker.

Although this is a family transfer situation, NEVER give your plates to anyone when selling a vehicle. They can't use them, so who knows where they'll end up - unscrupulous people have been known to use them, but since they're permanently in the name of the original owner, you end up liable for a lot of things like red light camera tickets, 407 Tolls, etc etc.

Last edited:
Believe there is also a notarized document that needs to be presented and both parties need to be present when doing changeover with current licence documents. Easier to sell it for a few bucks and then bill of sale it with Uvip and safety.

Believe there is also a notarized document that needs to be presented and both parties need to be present when doing changeover with current licence documents. Easier to sell it for a few bucks and then bill of sale it.

I think most people would rather transfer it tax free when possible, the little bit of hassle can save you hundreds to thousands of dollars in taxes.

Thought the parties weren't related according to the Ministry guidelines?

Father in law is on the list.

And I'm pretty sure the statement is actually sworn at the Service Ontario centres themselves - I know for a fact I listened and watch something be sworn at the one in Bowmanville a few years ago. 10 seconds and it was done.

I often wonder if this system is abused to get transfers completed free of taxes between friends and such. I'm not sure how much actual fact-checking goes on with regards to the claims of who's who, lets put it that way...and a lot of unscrupulous people would have zero issue lying on a sworn statement.

father in law is on the list
but from FIL to OP's mother is out of bounds
owner is not the recipient's FIL
document needs to be sworn at, and sealed by, a Notary Public
then presented at Service Ontario

father in law is on the list
but from FIL to OP's mother is out of bounds
owner is not the recipient's FIL

Hmm...yeah, I missed the extra step in the family tree there. Indeed it's probably not legit.

document needs to be sworn at, and sealed by, a Notary Public
then presented at Service Ontario

I did some more digging on that. Doesn't need to be a notary public, the docs state that a "Commissioner" is all that's needed, and yes indeed, some Service Ontario's do have them on staff, which explains what I witnessed.

Back
Top Bottom