Wind and motorcycles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wind and motorcycles

My bike weighs just under 400lbs and has not been tipped over from wind gusts. From what I remember, I've probably parked outside when it was somewhere between 60-80km/h gusts when parked outside..

That being said, it really depends on where/how you park you bike, which direction the wind is blowing, and how much wind it catches. (Bike covers outside on a super windy day is a bad idea)

Our ex neighbor was crossing Saskatchewan when winds estimated at 80kms blew him off the rural rd. He didn't survive.
I saw a trampoline in the middle of Tremaine rd this aft. That was weird.

I'd think that with winds like today I'd be paranoid with anything in the sub 300 pound category - small CC cruisers, and 500 and below sport bikes.

But how you park actually plays a factor as well - parking into the wind is going to be safer than parking broadside to it, obviously...or look for a sheltered area, better yet.

Now, as for actually being blown around while riding, my couch is in the 800-900# range (before I even get on it) and it has a lot of frontal and side real-estate... and I've been blown around in my lane (almost out of it before on one memorable trip in some nasty winds coming across the lakeshore between Kingston and home last summer) so one always needs to use a lot of caution there.

was in a hotel lobby once with a group of friends as we checked in for the night
one guy had parked his V-Strom on a grade
left side facing uphill
we watched it blow over
didn't hurt anything

was in a hotel lobby once with a group of friends as we checked in for the night
one guy had parked his V-Strom on a grade
left side facing uphill
we watched it blow over
didn't hurt anything
Except maybe his feelings? :(

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I've had my bike get blown over from the left side leaning downhill....so about as far over as it could go.

Never had it blown over parked, but I have had strong enough wind to shake the bike and set off the tilt sensor alarm. Taking off the top box helps.

Riding home yesterday I had a wind coming off an apartment shift me over about 2 feet across a streetcar track. Glad it didn't push me into the next lane. That's on a 500 lb sport tourer.

Now, as for actually being blown around while riding, my couch is in the 800-900# range (before I even get on it) and it has a lot of frontal and side real-estate... and I've been blown around in my lane (almost out of it before on one memorable trip in some nasty winds coming across the lakeshore between Kingston and home last summer) so one always needs to use a lot of caution there.

Right, I think at some point there is a threshold where you would have to park and wait it out, moreso if it's also raining. I remember being up in Algonquin area once where riding became dangerous just from all the branches being blown across the road. I have been blown out of my lane before on the Skyway, fortunately it was pretty empty and also people generally space themselves out when it's that gusty (partly due to not wanting to wind up underneath a truck)

Riding in Kansas during a storm was an adventure. Felt like I was riding at 45 degrees. Had a semi pull up alongside and that cut the wind blast...till he had to pass to let other traffic thru. Then I realized how strong the wind really was.....the trailer was at an angle in front of me and I was riding at an angle. Pulled off at the next motel for the night...one of the few times I didn't camp when touring.

Riding out east on a straight stretch of road, I popped out from behind some trees and got blasted by a crosswind off the ocean. I was dragging my left feeler to continue going straight. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

As far as tipping over a bike on its side stand, it doesn't take much force to knock it over to the right. Always park so the wind pushes it onto the stand.

I had a rented lowered road king , parked on a slight hill,side stand on the uphill side and it blew over the stand side, winds were no where near yesterday,, I rode home from PD13 where winds were very strong and all bikes in group were leaning about 30 Deg into wind,, and a couple of us felt the gust blow the front wheel sideways ,, probably only half inch ,, but felt like a mile ... I think yesterday wind was stronger

The wind tipped over my 467lbs FZ6R the other day in the parking lot. My nose was in the wind but didnt have the afterthought to remove the cover which acted as a sail or hide in a better less windy spot. Scratched right fairing, dented brake pedal, cracked throttle tube(lever and bar end guards werent installed on the right side), risers whacked out of alignment so right grip hits tank now. :crybaby:Held off on getting sliders since I was thinking I would never drop the bike. :dontknow:

Back
Top Bottom