Bike safety inspection, they take it for a test drive? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike safety inspection, they take it for a test drive?

HonDerpa500r

Just got off the phone with CT and when I asked if they do motorcycle safety inspections, there was a long pause and then a “Uhh yeah, I think we should beable to do that. We have a guy here who can do it. You just need a nice day so he can take it out.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they take the bike out for a test drive during a safety inspection. I especially don’t want them taking it out since it’s not registered or insured right now.

Technically they are supposed to get up to speed to check the braking. Can be done within private property. so licensing isn't an issue. Insurance might be covered under mechanic insurance.

Just got off the phone with CT and when I asked if they do motorcycle safety inspections, there was a long pause and then a “Uhh yeah, I think we should beable to do that. We have a guy here who can do it. You just need a nice day so he can take it out.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they take the bike out for a test drive during a safety inspection. I especially don’t want them taking it out since it’s not registered or insured right now.
They are supposed to, but some mechanics don't. YMMV depending on the garage.

I'm pretty sure on both of my bikes they did not even leave the garage to inspect. They just got the bike moving a bit with their feet and slammed the brakes to check the fronts, then repeat for the rear.
This was when *I* was the buyer after saying I had been riding a couple days on the Temp permit already. (insurance was active too, don't worry)

Then for my wife's bike, when I said we were doing a safety because we were selling it to someone, he took it around the block for 5 mins after doing the in-garage inspection first.
It had sat in the garage for a couple months before we found a buyer.

It could very well be circumstantial like that. Pretty much every bike in Ontario at this time of year will have been sitting around for a few months, possibly even outdoors.
I would definitely take it around the block if I were a mechanic doing an inspection.

Curious , if its not licenced or registered or insured, how are you getting it to CTC for the check?

The book says a motorcycle must be ridden up to a speed of 30KMH and the brakes tested.

Technically they are supposed to get up to speed to check the braking. Can be done within private property. so licensing isn't an issue. Insurance might be covered under mechanic insurance.

The book says a motorcycle must be ridden up to a speed of 30KMH and the brakes tested.

x2 both of the above.

If the shop isn't doing this, then they're not doing the safety correctly by the book.

So yes, a test ride is actually necessary. Personally, I'd want at least someone with an M licence doing so, not someone who's never sat on a MC before, much less ridden one, so the fact that some shops without such a qualified mechanic refuse to do safeties accordingly is actually a positive thing.

I do my own safety when buying. One time I took it in for the official one afterwards, they adjusted the chain.....and didn't tighten the adjuster lock nut properly....lost it on the way home. I do my own work, cause I don't trust anyone else to do it right.

Back
Top Bottom