Second year riding, thinking of heading to Florida in May. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Second year riding, thinking of heading to Florida in May.

Coming back,
Baltimore to Scranton, PA
Scranton to Toronto

The best roads you'll hit on the routes you've listed are between Scranton and the north east part of Pennsylvania. That's assuming you don't take the highways until you're near Hwy 219.

When you look at the "wild lands" of P.A., the big chunks with no highways, all green and no towns, those are the best roads. I regularly hit that area when I only have Friday after work and have to be home late Sunday night. If I have 4 days off, I'll keep going through Virginia in to the Carolina's.

You can do both city/party and rural/camping in the same long trip. You just need to be strategic and I think that budget will have to increase a bit for 20 days. Or perhaps look in to couch surfing?

Even camping is $40 a night for a site. Super cheap if you're splitting it but adds up when you're alone. Stealth camping is also a possibility but then you're opening up another can of worms if this is your first longer bike trip.

I really would rethink what you are trying to accomplish. Going for a bike trip or going for a party trip. If you are convinced you have to go to the big cities make sure you understand what that means, traffic,traffic,and more traffic. Also if you are primarily going to ride interstates get another bike. A 300 isn’t enough bike to be out playing with the semis. The interstates are jammed with tractor trailer rigs going 80 mph all the time, a 300 will be screaming and all the wind buffeting from the trucks will make things pretty interesting on a light small bike. It won’t be very relaxing. I’ve had trucks run right up my *** going downhill, I’m doing 140k on my 1300 and I’m still in their way. They want to keep their speed up for the inevitable uphill. It is possible to enjoy the ride and have a social life though. Think about hitting the college towns that are all around the Appalachian mountains. Go to State College in PA. lots of clubs and easy fun riding on 2 lane roads. Charlottesville in VA.,right by the Blue Ridge Parkway, huge university and college nightlife, Asheville NC. great small city with tons of nightlife, you get the idea. You can ride twisty fun more appropriate for a 300 roads and hit lots of places with great club action without going to the big cities and all the challenges they present. But it’s a free country, good luck.

Ashville, North Carolina for nightlife? He's 21 not 51 lol.

You make a decent point about heavy vehicles while on a CBR300 but it's still doable if you're comfortable with it. He won't be the first one to trot around on a small bike. It's only a few pounds lighter than the bikes I have traveled on, but also light on the power.

People scream about naked bikes being awful for touring but they have worked find for me...while carrying a 20-25lb backpack all day.

I'd strongly suggest a 3 day test run to Renovo PA...see how you do and have some fun on 144

This ^^^^

Did I read this right…it’s a 300 bike?
I mean that’s awful small for a trip like this but ok
I agree with everyone else…I see no reason at all to go to any of these big city’s but…to each his own.
When I travel I bank on $200 a day for gas food and lodging.
I don’t factor in the USA exchange until I get home and credit card most of the trip
$100 for the room…2 tanks of gas will run you $35 and say $30 or $40 for food
Couple of Bud Lights and well…you get the picture.
(yes you can easily get cheaper rooms and easily stay under the $200)
That being said I’ve done the Myrtle Beach up to Virginia Beach and it’s a great ride with some wonderful small towns like Kitty Hawk and Corolla.
I guess the only added advice I can give you is do lots or research online for accommodations and take advantage of Hotel Coupons that you can find at interstate rest stops.
Take lots of pics and be safe man.

IMG_20171007_115924.jpg

I'd strongly suggest a 3 day test run to Renovo PA...see how you do and have some fun on 144

Probably the best advice in the thread.

Traveling long distances by motorcycle, especially as a new rider, is not for everyone. Doing a 3-4 day trial closer to home to see if you actually enjoy it (and you are properly equipped, and you actually find the bike comfortable for long-ish days riding) is wise.

Florida in May is always a crap shoot as well. It’s a flat state and not much for touring but, travelling the coastal highways can be fun.

South Beach can be fun but, best experiences with a local that knows. Clubs come and go. What’s happening this Spring could have been a ghost town previously. Long line ups and cover charges are common place and can end up a waste of time.

I’ve done the booze cruise a few times and I would never think of doing it on a bike. Drive down in a day and a half. Party like a rock star for a week or less or until you are down to gas money home. Head back in the next day and a half.

Or just take your time and explore the roads down and avoid the big cities as other have mentioned. Get to Florida and party and then make your way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^^^^

Did I read this right…it’s a 300 bike?
I mean that’s awful small for a trip like this but ok
I agree with everyone else…I see no reason at all to go to any of these big city’s but…to each his own.
When I travel I bank on $200 a day for gas food and lodging.
I don’t factor in the USA exchange until I get home and credit card most of the trip
$100 for the room…2 tanks of gas will run you $35 and say $30 or $40 for food
(yes you can easily get cheaper rooms and easily stay under the $200)
That being said I’ve done the Myrtle Beach up to Virginia Beach and it’s a great ride with some wonderful small towns like Kitty Hawk and Corolla.
I guess the only added advice I can give you is do lots or research online for accommodations and take advantage of Hotel Coupons that you can find at interstate rest stops.
Take lots of pics and be safe man.

IMG_20171007_115924.jpg

200 a day?

Now I just feel cheap.

OP, may seem obvious, but don't forget to account for the conversion rate lol. CAD is in the crapper right now.

I try for $100 US a day tho the thirsty CBF will likely put me over this year on my usual distances. (600-950 km )

McDs or Sheetz are cheap breakfast.

There are lots of lunch specials. There are some really neat AirBnb but often off the beaten path for the good deals,
I would NOT book more than a day in advance while riding ....you might at Mrytle Beach or some such.

Sometimes just Snickers and Diet pepsi for supper - taking nuts and crackers etc can save a lot of eating out.
One veteran rider here gets by on a single big Subway split in two for a couple of his meals.

With your small bike you must score a tank bag. Really useful. I can do a 3-4 day easily with a 40 L topcase and 20 L tank bag and I'm carrying electronics.
This is 18 litres
https://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0040/1155/cortech_super2018_liter_magnetic_tank_bag_black_750x750.jpg[/img[Go to the CBR300 forums for tips.

Pack light for clothes, stay off cotton anything. Poly is your friend, packs small dries quick. Learning what to take will be trickiest part on a small bike. The riding part is easy. :D
Skip tools etc cept the small ones that come with.....just get CAA Premium.

Get on the road early ...first it's nicest time of day...usually low wind but mind the deer.
Get off the road early. Kick back time but I know I and others will tend to push the distance if we're feeling good.

Ear plugs 100% tho noise supressing earphones are okay too. Wind noise is crazy tiring.

Get off at the first hint of Tstorms ...you are too new to risk riding in them. One thing that impressed me is you intend to do short days.
Too many riders over estimate what they can handle.

Last edited:
You guys live fancy! I managed to travel Europe for around 50 euros a day on average for 4 month, so I figured around 100 CAD a day is doable. I typically spend about $20-$40 for a place to stay on average, CAD that is, using Hostelworld and AirBnB. Gas is like lets say 15 bucks a day. Food, I pack it myself, and cook in Hostels and so on, so I do it for 20 bucks or less usually per day. And, 25 bucks thats left is for booze and drinking, and that overall should average out nice and easy, as I don't drink daily. And I am talking about CAD. I have done it in Europe, so I doubt major touristy areas in US will be any different.

Especially going through touristy cities, there are plenty of tourists to chat up with, go clubbing with, find cheap accomodation and so on. I am just thinking of riding it nice and slow, around good roads with nice views for most of the day, and head to the hostel/airbnb around dawn, meet up with other tourists, and depending on the vibe, drink up and have a good time. Or, if it doesnt work out, just sleep, wake up the next day and try my luck on a different city, different day. I just plan to do it for as long as I can before I run out of cash, and head back to Toronto. I am thinking of doing it just like I do when travelling, go to a city, try my luck in the bars and clubs, if it works out, stay a few more days, if not, pack up and try a different city a different day. I like Florida, Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach because they have nice beaches to just lay in the sand, and when at night, they got a pretty good night life.

As many of you guys suggested, my idea seems better off in a car than a bike. But, I feel like the freedom of a two wheeler is different than a cager. I can enjoy the countryside during the long trips, and enjoy nightlife during the night when I reach my main destinations. Plus, I dont have a car.

Normally, when I travel I travel extremely light. Backpack, beach towel, hygiene stuff, 2 pairs of clothes for change, water, food, bike repair kit and a rain jacket. I have a full faced helmet, and a decent mesh jacket. I plan on checking the weather regularly and not riding on the rainy days.

As I said, I will never ride drunk or hung over, will be fully insured medically, and have power bank with me to keep me connected throughout the ride. Safety is paramount for me, so I dont wanna do the trip in any less than 5-7 days, as I wanna enjoy my ride and not be tired in the middle of the trip. If I run out of money, I can estimate when I should turn back.

So, I am definitely gonna follow your suggestions, and head down to Kentucky at my own slow and steady pace through Pennsylvania. I got my uncle down there, so I can stay out there for a bit if anything goes wrong, and head back up to Toronto. If everything goes swell, I am gonna head further down south, and make a loop around Myrtle beach, Virginia beach, and head back to Toronto.

I actually do not care if I make it to Florida or not, I am just looking for a good time, wherever. The journey is more important than the destination anyways. I just go with the flow, so the schedule I posted was tentative on the route I wanna follow. My uni finishes around the end of April, and I got a work that starts at June, so i got around 40 days to kill, and am in no rush to reach anywhere. As nakkers just said, I just wanna ride till I run out of cash for as long as I can, and return back to Toronto.

I feel like where there is a will, there always is a way.

Last edited:
There are lots of lunch specials. There are some really neat AirBnb but often off the beaten path for the good deals,
I would NOT book more than a day in advance while riding ....you might at Mrytle Beach or some such.

Pack light for clothes, stay off cotton anything. Poly is your friend, packs small dries quick. Learning what to take will be trickiest part on a small bike. The riding part is easy. :D
Skip tools etc cept the small ones that come with.....just get CAA Premium.

Yup! I never book more than 1 day in advance. If I like a place, I stay there for 2-3 days, depending on the vibe, and plan my trip on where I wanna stop next, and book it accordingly. I am just planning to carry the standard toolkit setup that comes with the bike in case of emergency repair.

PS, I love this community! So many riders willing to share their experience, and help a new rider out, its absolutely amazing!

Great approach. I'd take a look at what smaller towns ...like State College have Universities - that's where you will find cheap places to eat, stay and some fun....here's one list

https://www.free-4u.com/Colleges/West-Virginia-Colleges.html

The various well-known cities and college towns in West Virginia, such as Charleston and Huntington, provide one with the social aspects necessary to let loose from studies

The other states can be accessed on the left
http://www.free-4u.com/Colleges/Kentucky-Colleges.html

. The cities of Kentucky, such as Louisville and Frankfurt provide inspirational environments and social atmospheres that students will love to learn in.

Have fun

, I just wanna ride till I run out of cash for as long as I can, and return back to Toronto.

And you can always blitz back to TO by slab in a single long day. I don't mind riding well travelled slab in the dark.
For instance I've done Wytheville VA to home in a run.

Last edited:
200 a day?

Now I just feel cheap.

Ya maybe that’s a little off but……..
I don’t like to nickel and dime myself when doing trips.
If I had to do this then I prolly wouldn’t go in the first place.
I’m more of a free spirit if you know what I mean
If I feel like steak then steak it is
If I feel like subway then I’ll have that.
I don’t like Super 8 or Motel 6
I’m more of a Microtel or Comfort Inn kinda guy.
But I do take advantage of coupons and stuff.
I stayed at a Holiday Inn once in Salem for $70 bucks J J J
Doesn’t matter if that sounds like a lot of money cause that’s dirt cheap for a Holiday Inn.
I’m also a big fan of the picnic lunch
You can stop at a Food Lion and grab sandwich / chips / powerade / slice of pie for under 7 bucks then head to Hungry Mother State Park and have a great picnic.
We all have our little tricks for doing a trip on a budget…I just don’t want to worry about money is all.
I’m also a big lover of Shoneys…all you can eat buffet $9 bucks

IMG_20170919_193758.jpg

IMG_20170919_194429.jpg

IMG_20170919_195349.jpg

IMG_20170919_200226.jpg

May is a good month to hit Florida, all the old folks have headed home! I would hit New Orleans after Nashville and work my way down the Gulf Coast as you have tons of time!

Cheers!

$2000 will not go very far for 20 days of "full on clubbing".

Visited NYC a year and a bit ago. $32 US for a draft beer and a Long Island Iced Tea... plus tip... Surprised me to say the least.

This ^^^^

Never trust a man about spending time in urban areas after they admit they drink Bud Light, or anything close haha.

Also take note that everyone seems to be posting giant cruiser photos and will usually tell you a small bike can't do the job. It'll be a bit more difficult but doable.

I'd agree with MacDoc on a test run. Bomb it down to the wildlands area of Pennsylvania and see how you do/feel. Get a weekends experience for packing and what you might might not need and what set-up works for you.

My first couple riding trips, I didn't even take saddle bags. Just a backpack and went to upstate New York for 2 nights/3 days in hotels.

Then tested camping set-up with saddle bags in P.A. for 3-4 days/nights.

Then for longer trips afterwards, I can do a mix of camping and urban. Saves money, still hit great rural roads for multiple days and can still hit up the cities for Friday/Saturday night action with a bit of daytime urban exploring.

Once it starts to get dark, I get off back roads and hit the major highway at night if I need to move from place to place quickly.

Long highway hauls are doable with a heavy back pack if you're set-up well and have something on your passenger seat to take a bit of the weight.

Been from Hamilton to Knoxville, Tennessee in one shot before and from Nashville straight home on a different trip with that set-up. With just a heavy backpack and nothing to help prop it up, I'd be far too fatigued that distance. Light pack would be fine though.

I actually do not care if I make it to Florida or not, I am just looking for a good time, wherever. The journey is more important than the destination anyways.

Florida roads are just as boring as Ontario roads except way smoother. Rented a hard tail hilarious chopper for 4 days there once. Great if you want to hang around beaches and warmth but ride factor was terrible.

That hardtail chopper on the other hand, was the most hilariously painful thing to ride ever.

Back
Top Bottom