Harley-Davidson Recalls 250,000 Bikes for Faulty Brakes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harley-Davidson Recalls 250,000 Bikes for Faulty Brakes

roadrash

https://rideapart.com/articles/harley-davidson-brake-recall-2018

"The*recall*affects the ABS on 2008 to 2011 model year Touring, CVO Touring, and VRSC machines.*

The quarter-million unit recall—175,000 of which are in the US—is expected to cost the company just shy of $30 million which, like having your brakes fail, is less than ideal. The issue reportedly stems from a faulty ABS module and/or neglected maintenance, both of which have the potential to result in failing calipers. The manufacturer started the recall back in mid-February, and owners of affected vehicles can bring them to a local dealership to have fixed."

Again? Also brake recalls in 2014 and 2011

Last edited:
Ya, I read that some people didn't believe they really needed to flush the brake fluid every couple of years and the ABS didn't like that so well.

Looks like they forgot to chrome the ABS modules.

Harley-ABS-On-bench-2-851x576.jpg

Old news. All they're doing is a fluid flush. The brake valves corrode if the fluid absorbs too much moisture causing brake failure. DOT 4 fluid has to be replaced after 2 years. Brake fluid flushes should be done periodically on any brand of motorcycle. Question is why do the valves on the Harleys corrode enough to cause failure?

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/20...ouring-vsrc-motorcycles-brake-failure-issues/

I was told by a mechanic that moisture(water ) would pool around the valves . This is due to the ABS not being activated on a regular basis . I was told to active my ABS one a week to prevent corrosion . Probably most Harley guns ride pretty sedate and rarely activate their ABS.

Water pools within the brake fluid :/ the mechanics thinking is flawed.

Water pools within the brake fluid :/ the mechanics thinking is flawed.

Water and oil separate if left alone . Water gets trapped within the valves .

been trying to find out who the ABS parts vendor is
no luck
any chance HD actually manufactures the ABS components in house?
don't recall other bikes having this issue

Seems to me that if this has to be a poor design otherwise every bike out there (much less cars) with ABS would be experiencing the same issue, as reality is....probably 95% (+) don't do routine fluid flushes like the maintenance schedules call for, but they don't seem to be experiencing failures like this.

been trying to find out who the ABS parts vendor is
no luck
any chance HD actually manufactures the ABS components in house?
don't recall other bikes having this issue

Kelsey-Hayes used to make brake parts for HD, don't know if they still do.

Kelsey-Hayes used to make brake parts for HD, don't know if they still do.

thanks!

Company is now called just Hayes Brake
and they are the past and current vendor for HD brake systems components
including the ABS systems complete

A significant milestone was reached in 2010 with the successful launch of our proprietary Sequential Verification Assembly Process (S-VAP)
and the delivery of fully bled ABS brake systems to Harley-Davidson.
S-VAP allows for the complete assembly of calipers, master cylinders, lines and ABS hardware,
thus eliminating any in-facility evacuation and filling of brake components for original equipment customers.

guess there's a bit of a legal pissup going on between them and HD over this

Transport Canada is reporting 13,072 affected units

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur...ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2018058&cf=SearchResult&pg=0

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom