what do you do when cleaning up connectors | GTAMotorcycle.com

what do you do when cleaning up connectors

boyoboy

Im cleaning up some connectors on an older bike (94). There isn't any electrical issues, Im doing this for maintenance. After cleaning; do you coat them in dialectric grease or vaseline before plugging them back together?

good idea or bad? suggestions?

I would squirt or spray some dielectric grease in them to prevent any future corrosion.Vaseline would probably be ok, we use to use it to lubricate contacts on 600 volt knife blade type switches. I would lean towards the silicone dielectric grease, thats what its meant for.

Last edited:
I thought dielectric grease is non conductive or an insulator. If the contact points in the circuit are covered with this doesn't this have the potential to reduce the current flowing through the circuit? I would use it to lube or protect the connector or boot itself, but keep it off the actual contacts. Or do I have this all wrong?

You put it directly on the contact surface so it coats the surface, prevents oxidation and diplaces moisture, oxidation causes resistance,heat and inhibits current flow.The reason for it being dielectric is so that it doesnt cause a short between all the pins or contacts in your connector.When you push a snug, properly fitting connector together , the contact surfaces will meet and should displace the grease at the point of contact.I know it sounds wrong but thats what its for.

Last edited:
Contact cleaner and compressed air.Maybe a toothbrush if it really needs it.I use Super Lube inside and all over the connector on my dirt bikes.
SL400P_SUPER_LUBE_GREASE.jpg

Before cleaning.
P3220023_zps0xjzrgnt.jpg

After.
P3220025_zpsbpnmbb4l.jpg

I use spray electrical contact cleaner. If I see green or chalky oxidation, a fine brass pipe cleaner.

I use Grote like to treat my big connections and white lithium from a spray can for the small ones. Spray grease gets further into the connector and I find lithium dries more than silicone dielectric which collects a lot of dust and dirt. Its also easy to coat chassis grounds and spiders with white lithium spray.

Thank-you folks for all the great suggestions. I was mostly concerned with a current leak through the coating (greases vaseline etc). Sounds like no one is having issues with that. rock and roll... I'll get to work.

edit - yes I used dielectric..@bobo's and others post's made good sense for its use.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom