Suffering from a little seller's remorse :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suffering from a little seller's remorse :(

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Well I did it and am now regretting it! Sold the 500F a week ago and with the warm weather coming in I'm super regretting it (although I'm sure this will pass) as it's now the first time in 7 years that I don't have a bike to go booting around on.

Ended up selling it to a young guy that came buy, no issues, no fuss no muss and picked up the bike a few days later. However now I'm wondering what I can do to keep the fix going...small cruiser (Rebel 250/300), little scooter (Ruckus / Grom) or something else to keep the itch at bay. Wouldn't be used for commuting but just tooling around town for some little errands and such.

Or I need a totally new hobby! LoL I hope this will pass soon....at least a buddy told me I can take his bike out if the itch is really strong. LoL

How did you guys get by once you sold and took some time off from riding?

EDIT: Are pit bikes any good for small off road trails (i.e.: Simcoe Forest)? I'm 5'7 and 165lbs so have always looked at them fondly.

Last edited:
sad story

although generally frowned upon
e-bikes are an affordable way to get back on 2 wheels
and are very handy for quick errands in the 'hood

biggest obstacle is getting over the knowledge
that everyone that sees you on one of those things
immediately writes you off as no-license, welfare recipient

Well I did it and am now regretting it! Sold the 500F a week ago and with the warm weather coming in I'm super regretting it (although I'm sure this will pass) as it's now the first time in 7 years that I don't have a bike to go booting around on.

Ended up selling it to a young guy that came buy, no issues, no fuss no muss and picked up the bike a few days later. However now I'm wondering what I can do to keep the fix going...small cruiser (Rebel 250/300), little scooter (Ruckus / Grom) or something else to keep the itch at bay. Wouldn't be used for commuting but just tooling around town for some little errands and such.

Or I need a totally new hobby! LoL I hope this will pass soon....at least a buddy told me I can take his bike out if the itch is really strong. LoL

EDIT: Are pit bikes any good for small off road trails (i.e.: Simcoe Forest)? I'm 5'7 and 165lbs so have always looked at them fondly.

May I ask why you sold it ? It's never too late to jump right back in.

True story, sold my FZ1 a few years ago and then saw it for it sale by the new owner a year later. I actually bought it back from him. I ended up selling it two years later to someone completely different....haven’t seen it up for sale since. Who knows what I might I do if I see it advertised again .

OP.......1st sentence: you're regretting. 2nd sentence, you're super regretting.
There is no substitute. It's in our blood.
I've been on the pine since 2014 (health) and it's driving me crazy.
If you buy another bike asap, you'll have no regrets.
Just do it.

May I ask why you sold it ? It's never too late to jump right back in.

Had a baby a year ago and my riding went from 10-15k/season down to 3! I didn't want the bike to waste away as I know I'll get back to it. And the 401 (square one to Yonge) commute crushed the joy of riding pretty quick.

considering the assisted e-bike to tool around and messing with the idea of a bicycle ride down to NIagara as a personal goal this year. Maybe it'll get better with time. LoL

Tanks Gary. I think I'll try some dirt to see how it feels and then decide.

OP.......1st sentence: you're regretting. 2nd sentence, you're super regretting.
There is no substitute. It's in our blood.
I've been on the pine since 2014 (health) and it's driving me crazy.
If you buy another bike asap, you'll have no regrets.
Just do it.

Gary is right...once a rider always a rider it won’t ever leave you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a note of caution, you just lost your _ years of consecutive / uninterrupted motorcycle insurance discount which is pretty substantial. You'll have to start over from the beginning as a newbie and pay the rates as a newly insured rider. Always make sure that you have a 250 or something really cheap insured while you are buying / selling your bigger bike(s). Or in your case, considering getting out of the sport.

I would be grabbing an enduro / dual sport 250 if I were you asap so you can still answer the "have you had _ years of consecutive / uninterrupted motorcycle insurance in Ontario" question as "yes." Hopefully they won't already see it as a lapse.

Just a note of caution, you just lost your _ years of consecutive / uninterrupted motorcycle insurance discount which is pretty substantial..

I thought there was a period before that counted (eg. more than 6 months with no insured MC)?

I thought there was a period before that counted (eg. more than 6 months with no insured MC)?
A broker told me something similar (although didn't exactly say 6 months). Few months of no insurance in the same year don't matter.

I have been thinking the same,downsizing from the 650,nothing too small of course.

There's a way around the 6 month lapse...........rent for 1 day, and pay for insurance.
This info is 1 week old, from a retired insurance company underwriter.

I took 18 months off and it had little impact on Insurance costs. But I had been with the same agency for 10 years and then went back with them.

What looks very interesting are these Bosch and Yamaha power assisted bicycles, that are entering the market but they cost as much as used enduro.

https://www.yamahabicycles.com/why-power-assist/

Last edited:
What looks very interesting are these Bosch and Yamaha power assisted bicycles, that are entering the market but they cost as much as used enduro.

Most of the ones I have seen are illegal in Ontario. They are too powerful/fast to be classed as e-bikes and I doubt you could get plates/insurance on one even if you wanted to. They are a cool vehicle, but unfortunately the guberment has decided they are not for us.

However now I'm wondering what I can do to keep the fix going...small cruiser (Rebel 250/300), little scooter (Ruckus / Grom) or something else to keep the itch at bay. Wouldn't be used for commuting but just tooling around town for some little errands and such.

Rebel 250's (and other very similar ones like the Marauder, Vstar, etc) can be had all day long for $1500-$2000 and are a blast to ride, honestly. I rode my wifes first 250 across Toronto (on 7) and had a blast.

650 class cruisers cost very little additional to insure and will be more suited for highway use if you want that. I will admit that every now and then I hope on my wifes 650 and boot it around simply because it's just plain fun to bat around compared to my couch.

For an experienced rider you should be able to find coverage for $35-$50/month on anything in the 250-650 cruiser class..

Back
Top Bottom