Sellers unwilling to sell their bikes certified.. frustrating | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sellers unwilling to sell their bikes certified.. frustrating

This is crazy, has happened for multiple bikes now, I'm offering the seller their asking price for their "mint" bikes with a caveat that it needs to come with a safety certificate and multiple deals have fallen through because of this. So tell me what is going wrong here, are the bikes not really as "mint" as described or are the sellers just lazy? Why wouldn't you jump on the opportunity to sell your bike for the price you want if all you need to do is take it to CT for a $60 inspection?

It's going to be a combination of factors.

It's very common to not have the safety inspection done until the buyer has made an offer, and THEN have it done, because of the limited time before they expire. Who arranges for it, is part of the negotiation. If they don't want to get it done ...

Laziness, sloppiness, not knowing how to do business, not realizing that sometimes you have to spend money to make money, being unwilling to take a small risk. Plenty of people don't know how to do business.

And, sometimes there's going to be a legit reason that someone doesn't want to spend the money. "It needs new tires." "It needs a chain."

Of course there can occasionally be situations where there is a major underlying flaw that has been covered up, but generally there's going to be evidence: A seller who won't answer questions or sounds dishonest. An ownership period (it's in the UVIP) that's suspiciously short. Paperwork that doesn't match (wrong colour on the ownership, non-OEM parts that aren't normal mods, etc). Normal wear parts (footpegs, etc) that don't have normal wear on them. Stuff that's suspiciously clean. Stuff that's suspiciously dirty.

Normally it's not hard to figure out when a bike has been thrashed.

Only suggestion I have: Take advantage. Be prepared to do your own inspection. Check the bike over yourself. If all seems well - Knock a few hundred bucks off the price because they won't sell it certified, and just get it done yourself.

It might sound like a simple request, but in the past I have dealt with a number of tire kickers for bikes in the past that demanded saftey certs. and what not, only for them to bail when it comes time to actually buy the bike.

More often than not the difference between the selling price of a bike with a certificate and not is only a couple hundred dollars, and that Is simply not worth the time or hassle. When it comes to selling bikes, here is my price... come pick the bike up with no huss or fuss and we will go from there.

As a whole take advantage of the fact that sellers dont want to bother providing a safety; it is your bargaining chip.. Just keep an eye out for tires, chain, and that the blinkers/lights function.

Have you offered a deposit on the purchase to show that you are a serious. As mentioned before or offer a lower as is price if you are confident in the bike. You can quickly inspect the steering head bearings, chain and sprockets, brake pads, brake fluid coolour. etc.

Ask to see receipts and work orders to support their claim of “mint” condition as ai am more concerned that the bike has been maintained and serviced than it being absolutely flawless.

Last edited:
This is crazy, has happened for multiple bikes now, I'm offering the seller their asking price for their "mint" bikes with a caveat that it needs to come with a safety certificate and multiple deals have fallen through because of this. So tell me what is going wrong here, are the bikes not really as "mint" as described or are the sellers just lazy? Why wouldn't you jump on the opportunity to sell your bike for the price you want if all you need to do is take it to CT for a $60 inspection?

what deal?
if you are asking for something they don't want to provide
there's no deal

if you're unable to inspect a bike yourself
and have an idea that it's good
you are a dealer customer
they will do everything you need

A fitness certificate is good for 36 days, if the seller can't provide one ask why.
If the seller won't agree to deliver the machine to an inspection station ask why.
If the seller can't provide the UVIP ask why.
As a purchaser you are entitled to these services or know the reason.
You can always walk on the deal and buy from someone else, let the buyer beware.

DIY safety:
-Are the tires down to the wear bars? Are the wheels bent/cracked anywhere?
-Do the brakes work? Are the pads worn down?
-Is the chain kinked/stretched/corroded? Are the sprockets visibly worn?
-Are all lights present and functioning? Do turn signal, high beam switch, both brake light switches, and horn work?
-Is there somewhere to mount a plate? Is that somewhere stupid?
-Is there any frame damage? Are the forks straight? Are the forks badly leaking?
-Is there any play in wheel bearings? Steering head bearing?
-Is there a seat? Is it solidly attached?
-Is there a speedometer?
-Are all controls present, working, and solidly attached? (brake pedal & lever, clutch lever, throttle <- working just means it seems to open & close without sticking)

Advanced/picky mechanics
-Are both wheel fenders present?
-Is lighting OEM? If aftermarket, is it adequate? (i.e. no dim flush turn signals or integrated signals)

Of course you can't actually certify it yourself, but it it clears all this then 99% likely you will get a certificate on the first try with no repair needed. At the end of the day, a bike that isn't safetied = less appealing/slightly less of a market = better deal on a bike

Last edited:
Ask if it needs anything for safety:

If yes - agree on a price to cover this and use it as a deposit on the sale, ask for receipts.

If no - ask seller to get it done, send them the $60 or whatever as a deposit for the work.

If you`re really paranoid then draft some paperwork and get them to sign stating it's a deposit for purchase of bike whatever, VIN whatever, bla bla.

If there is a bike I'm really in , and I'd like to see a safety done, regardless of 'who' says it will pass, I'll offer the $100 for a safety. If the owner says they cant be bothered, well neither can I.

As BrianP put it, so many don't understand, its just a business transaction.

Its not an arranged marriage

When I was looking for a bike and when I was ready to make an offer it always included safety. If they said no I said bye.

I usually offered 500 less plus needed safety.

what deal?
if you are asking for something they don't want to provide
there's no deal

if you're unable to inspect a bike yourself
and have an idea that it's good
you are a dealer customer
they will do everything you need

What deal? How bout their asking price, it's crazy, they'll be on kijiji for months more dealing with tire kickers and low ballers when all they need to do is take my deposit and get a safety inspection. Oh well good luck to them.

bought both my bike certified, asked the seller to do so. You have to let them know that you will buy the bike when the bike gets certified.
maybe put a non refundable deposit to cover for the certification which taken from the price agreed on.

a bike is not like a car
you need to be able to inspect it yourself
to see that it's safe to ride
not just to satisfy government paperwork at time of purchase

have bought/sold several over the years
never on either side of the transaction was there a safety done first
if the price is right the bike will sell to a legitimate buyer, safety or not

Have yet to buy a bike certified. Sold many that were not certified and some that the deal was struck with the cert included in the end price.

I think another thing comes into play - mechanics. I have noticed that mechanics are a lot safer when a seller is getting a safety for their own use.

I use a few mechanics, none of them would certify a bike for resale with straight pipes or brake pads or tires with 1.5mm left (legal min). If I were bringing a new bike in, they would say 'you have the OEM pipes right? You know the brakes and tires are at the bare minimum for certification?".

The difference could be a set of tires, chain & sprocket, refitting OE exhaust etc.

I usually offer a 200 discount uncertified if i am selling and will only get the safety done after being paid in full.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Have never bought a bike safetied, nor have sold a bike safetied.

A safety has very little reflection on the condition of a bike. If you are relying on a safety as a safety blanket (hehehehe), you're in for a surprise. As has been mentioned, the basics of what will pass or fail a safety can be checked by you in a matter of a few minutes.

If you want someone to look over a bike with you, offer a cup of coffee on this board and I'm sure someone will offer a hand.

I've always bought it safetied. Offer to pay for it and most will agree.

I've sold without safety, but knocked the price down by $200 or so.

I think most sellers dont get safety certificate because of not having insurance on the bike anymore.

I went through this whole fiasco and I can feel what OP is going through.

I bought my Ninja 300 without safety, seller did agree to reduce 100$ from asking price to cover up safety cost. Since the bike had only 850km on odo, I knew it will pass.

Having gone through the whole process of getting safety done myself on a used bike, I would still prefer to buy with safety cert however if price is right, it's not a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom