Alberta to allow turban-wearing Sikhs right to ride motorcycles without helmets | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alberta to allow turban-wearing Sikhs right to ride motorcycles without helmets

Except insurance companies and underwriters are just as lazy as the rest of us human beings. That would take far too much work/effort. Better to just say everyone in this Postal code is a higher risk and charge accordingly

They're not lazy. They just don't work for free.

bigpoppa your analysis is going to save you $23.00 on your policy but the analysis is going to cost you $93.00.

I have 2 issues with this (similar to what others have mentioned).

1) I disagree with a "religious" exemption for this law. Either make the exemption available to everyone or no one.
2) I feel that any exemption should come with an additional requirement for increased insurance coverage.

Ultimately my issues will mean nothing because it's a done deal made by politicians looking to remain in power and who pander to any recognized group.

Interesting comments on this, I may be the only Sikh here who wears a turban and can chime in...

My dad grew up riding bikes as well, we're from Kenya, there were no helmet laws and he rode with a turban. He's had 6-7 accidents, and all were without a helmet, he tells me luck was more on his side on walking away, he did break a bunch of bones. Today, we both ride, and don't get on a bike without a full face helmet, its a no brainier :rolleyes:

As for the law, it should be for everyone, not a particular group imo. Just like some states in USA, and alot of countries around the world. Otherwise, I don't take it personally, and its their heads, brains, and life, they pay for the bike, and know the risk, politicians aren't in it for safety, just votes and money, never trust them to start with. :confused: I like bikes because they make you forget about politics, work, problems, etc... and focus on the next 5-50 feet using all 5 senses, whether I'm Christian, Buddhist, or Sikh has nothing to do with bikes, so I don't see why I should associate them with religion to start with.

As for the folks saying Sikhs can't rely on God, we don't have a God :lmao: We have Guru's, much like Buddhism the word Sikh literary means "Student, or to Learn" and thus devote life to learning, seeing the oneness in life, and how all beings are equal. The turban itself is a symbol of this practice, just as Gotema (the Buddha) tied he's hair in a knot above he's head to signify enlightenment. It's fairly simple, and very close to Rastafarianism, why they use lions and keep their hair too. Things like Ego, desire, and lust are no no's, like the Buddhist seven sins. Too me (personally), wanting to constantly show a turban while riding a bike (which is a costly hobby, you can sell and feed the poor, as a true Sikh, remove the desire for material I guess) is a status of Ego/pride, including holding onto a concept rather than practicing what it stands for.

Just my two cents, as bikers, that's what we are as one, it's what unites us and is a common factor, if one of us get's hurt, gear or no gear, I like to think we can help each other. Division from sport riders, cruisers, enduro's etc.. is enough as it is, religion, clothing, and saying so and so should pay more for being in their eye's more free, is further division. I can say a squid riding in flip flops and wearing a helmet, is no better.

Last edited:
Interesting comments on this, I may be the only Sikh here who wears a turban and can chime in...

My dad grew up riding bikes as well, we're from Kenya, there were no helmet laws and he rode with a turban. He's had 6-7 accidents, and all were without a helmet, he tells me luck was more on his side on walking away, he did break a bunch of bones. Today, we both ride, and don't get on a bike without a full face helmet, its a no brainier :rolleyes:

As for the law, it should be for everyone, not a particular group imo. Just like some states in USA, and alot of countries around the world. Otherwise, I don't take it personally, and its their heads, brains, and life, they pay for the bike, and know the risk, politicians aren't in it for safety, just votes and money, never trust them to start with. :confused: I like bikes because they make you forget about politics, work, problems, etc... and focus on the next 5-50 feet using all 5 senses, whether I'm christian, Buddhist, or Sikh has nothing to do with bikes, so I don't see why I should associate them with religion to start with.

As for the folks saying Sikhs can't rely on God, we don't have a God :lmao: We have Guru's, much like Buddhism the word Sikh literary means "Student, or to Learn" and thus devote life to learning, seeing the oneness in life, and how all beings are equal. The turban itself is a symbol of this practice, just as Gotema (the Buddha) tied he's hair in a knot above he's head to signify enlightenment. It's fairly simple, and very close to Rastafarianism, why they use lions and keep their hair too. Things like Ego, desire, and lust are no no's, like the Buddhist seven sins. Too me (personally), wanting to constantly show a turban while riding a bike (which is a costly hobby, you can sell and feed the poor, as a true Sikh, remove the desire for material I guess) is a status of Ego/pride, including holding onto a concept rather than practicing what it stands for.

Just my two cents, as bikers, that's what we are as one, it's what unites us and is a common factor, if one of us get's hurt, gear or no gear, I like to think we can help each other. Division from sport riders, cruisers, enduro's etc.. is enough as it is, religion, clothing, and saying so and so should pay more for being in their eye's more free, is further division. I can say a squid riding in flip flops and wearing a helmet, is no better.

Good post! Thanks for the enlightenment. I agree, religion and bikers shouldn't mix.

As for the law, it should be for everyone, not a particular group imo. Just like some states in USA, and alot of countries around the world. Otherwise, I don't take it personally, and its their heads, brains, and life, they pay for the bike, and know the risk, politicians aren't in it for safety, just votes and money, never trust them to start with. :confused: I like bikes because they make you forget about politics, work, problems, etc... and focus on the next 5-50 feet using all 5 senses, whether I'm Christian, Buddhist, or Sikh has nothing to do with bikes, so I don't see why I should associate them with religion to start with.

You must have a pretty small turban to be able to fit a full face helmet

I have 2 issues with this (similar to what others have mentioned).

1) I disagree with a "religious" exemption for this law. Either make the exemption available to everyone or no one.
2) I feel that any exemption should come with an additional requirement for increased insurance coverage.

Ultimately my issues will mean nothing because it's a done deal made by politicians looking to remain in power and who pander to any recognized group.

Replace helmet laws with vaccinations and I'd agree again.

You must have a pretty small turban to be able to fit a full face helmet

From what I've read there are alternative hair coverings that fit the requirements of the religion..without the bulk. IE, yeah, it fits under a helmet.

Replace helmet laws with vaccinations and I'd agree again.

Lack of vaccinations effects the greater population as a whole - IE, your child becomes patient zero and spreads illness unnecessarilly.

A lack of a helmet usually only effects the rider who bonks their noggin.

Not really a fair comparison. Thankfully for the most part vaccine exemptions are still rare, and those who still insist on this stupidity for their children see their little snowflakes removed from the public school system at least.

^^^ learned so much about sikhs in that 1 post.
Extra surcharge on your insurance and ohip and why stop there you drink..extra...you smoke extra...I've been known to ride in PA in 30c .. no helmet...flipflops... no shirt.. just shorts ala fresca...I don't do twistys but around town and stuff why not?
For anyone thinking my word...if any injuries sustained I have good insurance so would be no burden to the system just getting whats already paid for. So like this I have np just pay your own way.

I can say a squid riding in flip flops and wearing a helmet, is no better.

I disagree. A foot injury or even amputation is still better than a brain injury that leaves you massively disabled or vegetative. Road rash scars, broken bones and the like can heal or be dealt with. Brain injuries don't heal.

The squid is stupid; the helmet-less is a special kind of stupid.

motorcycle-accidents-motorcycle-accidents-busey-demotivational-posters-1313768696.jpgGary Busey wasn't wearing a helmet...as was his right in California...scratch one aspiring acting career

Last edited:
Except insurance companies and underwriters are just as lazy as the rest of us human beings. That would take far too much work/effort. Better to just say everyone in this Postal code is a higher risk and charge accordingly
Actuaries are the grunts in insurance -- they aren't the ones planning products. Product managers look at market opportunities, actuaries make sure the product guys have covered their risks with premiums.

View attachment 39300Gary Busey wasn't wearing a helmet...as was his right in California...scratch one aspiring acting career
Busey was a coke addict & high at the time of his accident. His best work has been post accident.

What is your point?

^^^ learned so much about sikhs in that 1 post.
Extra surcharge on your insurance and ohip and why stop there you drink..extra...you smoke extra...

The "sin taxes" are already baked into the price of drink and cigarettes (and soon weed) so the users of those products are already funding the system (of course we can't expect the Government to be accountable for how they spend these taxes).

We dont't need no stinkin' helmets !!

Attachments

• 84916237-22CF-4216-A87F-F7481E93DC3A.jpg
    84916237-22CF-4216-A87F-F7481E93DC3A.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 23
Ladies and gentlemen!!!

Our government just changed the national anthem !!!!

Does this surprise you ?

The sikhs are saying “hey if you gonna change the national anthem for them why can’t you do this for us”

The precedent has been set

The only people who will not benefit from this is .... wait for it.... drum roll.... “the straight white guy”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yawn....the anthem is meaningless
was never the official song until 1980
very few people are standing on guard for anything

and the knuckledragers will be ****** to learn
it was written by a Frenchman from Quebec City
later Anglicized when the British monarch visited

here's the original version, translated to English
sounds like a White Nationalist celebration

Under the eye of God, near the giant river,The Canadian grows hoping.He was born of a proud race,Blessed was his birthplace.Heaven has noted his careerIn this new world.Always guided by its light,He will keep the honour of his flag,He will keep the honour of his flag.From his patron, the precursor of the true God,He wears the halo of fire on his brow.Enemy of tyrannyBut full of loyalty,He wants to keep in harmony,His proud freedom;And by the effort of his genius,Set on our ground the truth,Set on our ground the truth.Sacred love of the throne and the altar,Fill our hearts with your immortal breath!Among the foreign races,Our guide is the law:Let us know how to be a people of brothers,Under the yoke of faith.And repeat, like our fathers,The battle cry: "For Christ and King!"The battle cry: "For Christ and King!"

Last edited:
What a crock....what ever happened to the " when in Rome " theory....i dont take my **** to other countries...I abide by there rules and keep my beliefs to my self...why do we allow others to ram there beliefs down our throats....oh...we can thank our spineless govenment leaders for that.....well done boys ....

yawn....the anthem is meaningless
was never the official song until 1980
very few people are standing on guard for anything

and the knuckledragers will be ****** to learn
it was written by a Frenchman from Quebec City
later Anglicized when the British monarch visited

here's the original version, translated to English
sounds like a White Nationalist celebration

Under the eye of God, near the giant river,The Canadian grows hoping.He was born of a proud race,Blessed was his birthplace.Heaven has noted his careerIn this new world.Always guided by its light,He will keep the honour of his flag,He will keep the honour of his flag.From his patron, the precursor of the true God,He wears the halo of fire on his brow.Enemy of tyrannyBut full of loyalty,He wants to keep in harmony,His proud freedom;And by the effort of his genius,Set on our ground the truth,Set on our ground the truth.Sacred love of the throne and the altar,Fill our hearts with your immortal breath!Among the foreign races,Our guide is the law:Let us know how to be a people of brothers,Under the yoke of faith.And repeat, like our fathers,The battle cry: "For Christ and King!"The battle cry: "For Christ and King!"
Have you ever sought psychological help?

Back
Top Bottom