250 v 300 Difference | GTAMotorcycle.com

250 v 300 Difference

bigpoppa

I'm looking for a ninja 250/300 possibly, depending on the budget could go with either one

for those that have ridden both, how big of a difference does the small displacement bump really make? If its minuscule, id rather save the money and go 250, if it makes a noticeable difference in certain conditions perhaps it will be worth the extra money?

Is it worth the extra money?

Personally, don't know much about the differences between the two. But youtube has enough videos on it.

Here's one

[video=youtube_share;Ug1xj0zSVsk]https://youtu.be/Ug1xj0zSVsk[/video]

Apparently, 30% more horsepower on the 300 vs. 250. 300 does look better and beefier than 250, if you care about that sort of thing. Some minor subtle differences like flush turn signals, speedometer gauge etc covered in the video.

Edit: forgot big difference, according to the vid 250s are carbed, 300s are EFI.

Last edited:
the difference so far seems to be about 1500$?

I'll probably keep it for a long time...getting it for the wife...when she wants to trade up ill likely keep it for the track

That guy's lane position bugged me the whole video.

For long term, probably worth it to go with the 300.

250 has carburetors, 300 has EFI. Buying the 300 is worth it for that alone.

Racing with both is a big difference. Power to weight when there isn't a lot is much bigger than going from 105hp to 114hp.

All depends on what's available though. I'd take a Ninja 250 for $1500 over a Ninja 300 for $3000 if I'm only using it around the city for a few years. If you plan on doing some long trips and on the highway, the 300 is definitely better.

Personally, don't know much about the differences between the two. But youtube has enough videos on it.

Edit: forgot big difference, according to the vid 250s are carbed, 300s are EFI.

Yeah, EFI vs carbed...but I never had issues with the carbs. Even with running the gas tank low on fuel all the time to save weight/handling feel on the track. There is no fuel filter either. You can put one on but make sure it flows fast enough or you run out of gas with a full tank of gas.

Component wise...
- 300 can be found in ABS and non-ABS
- 140 rear wheel - but good radial tires still come in 130, so for street it doesn't really matter.
- Nicer digital dash. 250 still has a fuel gauge.
- mechanical speedo on the 250...doesn't really mean much

similarities:
- front and rear suspension is the same
- swing arm
- handle bars and controls are the same
- frame is mostly the frame except for a few different mounting points and brackets
- brake callipers are the same...even on ABS model. The hoses and ABS pump/electronics are the addition
- rotors are same size just look different/more flashy on the 300
- foot controls are the same. Body position is pretty much the same...only difference is the seat and how the tank feels between your legs.
- a fair amount of engine parts
- coolant system
- front wheel is same size. Swappable if you have the speedo drive
- chain and both front/rear sprockets
- triple tree/yoke
- ignition/locks
....I'm probably forgetting lots of small stuff but that stuff doesn't really matter anyway.

EDIT: actually, the rear shock might be a different shock but same length and quality level.
Front's are definitely the same thing. Slight different casting on the lowers. Same internals and sanctions.

Last edited:
Yeah, EFI vs carbed...but I never had issues with the carbs. Even with running the gas tank low on fuel all the time to save weight/handling feel on the track. There is no fuel filter either. You can put one on but make sure it flows fast enough or you run out of gas with a full tank of gas.

Component wise...
- 300 can be found in ABS and non-ABS
- 140 rear wheel - but good radial tires still come in 130, so for street it doesn't really matter.
- Nicer digital dash. 250 still has a fuel gauge.
- mechanical speedo on the 250...doesn't really mean much

similarities:
- front and rear suspension is the same
- swing arm
- handle bars and controls are the same
- frame is mostly the frame except for a few different mounting points and brackets
- brake callipers are the same...even on ABS model. The hoses and ABS pump/electronics are the addition
- rotors are same size just look different/more flashy on the 300
- foot controls are the same. Body position is pretty much the same...only difference is the seat and how the tank feels between your legs.
- a fair amount of engine parts
- coolant system
- front wheel is same size. Swappable if you have the speedo drive
- chain and both front/rear sprockets
- triple tree/yoke
- ignition/locks
....I'm probably forgetting lots of small stuff but that stuff doesn't really matter anyway.
Damn someone did their homework

$0.02
Brand new rider would recommend a used 300 (Ninja, CBR, R3, whatever) for sub $3k, the EFI, nice electronics and ABS are quite helpful and get the ball rolling nice n smooth.
Wish I started with it, my first bike was a garbage condition melon with holes everywhere that ended up burning oil and clunking out on the 401. No bueno. But it got me my first spring and summer months of riding in that were a fantastic experience regardless!!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Damn someone did their homework

Naw, have just dismantled down to the frame and reassembled both of these bikes many times from racing.

Have only disassembled the 300 engine once...haven't put it back together yet.

Speaking of, the stator, clutch and valve covers are swappable even though they look different.

Had Ninja 250 for a few years - great fun. I tried a friend's 300, not much difference.

They are highway capable, no trouble running highway speeds all day. Parts are cheap, tires are cheap, 65mpg makes fuel cheap. They have great range too, I could go Markham to Ottawa without refueling.

On an inexpensive bike I like the simplicity of carbs, and mechanical/analog guages of the 250. Others might like the digital dash and FI easy start of the 300.

To me there is so little difference, I'd go for the ex250 based on cost and the fact it's not my main ride. In fact I miss mine so much I just might get another!

I forgot to add -- Insurance $380/year.

Last edited:
Naw, have just dismantled down to the frame and reassembled both of these bikes many times from racing.

Have only disassembled the 300 engine once...haven't put it back together yet.

Speaking of, the stator, clutch and valve covers are swappable even though they look different.
Nice! Wish I had some or one of these skills

Had Ninja 250 for a few years - great fun. I tried a friend's 300, not much difference.

They are highway capable, no trouble running highway speeds all day. Parts are cheap, tires are cheap, 65mpg makes fuel cheap. They have great range too, I could go Markham to Ottawa without refueling.

On an inexpensive bike I like the simplicity of carbs, and mechanical/analog guages of the 250. Others might like the digital dash and FI easy start of the 300.

To me there is so little difference, I'd go for the ex250 based on cost and the fact it's not my main ride. In fact I miss mine so much I just might get another!

250s on highway, impressive!

In general it depends on the bike/engine but I guess you're specifically asking about the Ninja (title didn't indicate that).

The 300 comes with ABS and EFI. If those things matter to you get that one. Otherwise whichever one you like more.

We have had both, done trackdays and racing with them.

They are both capable bikes. It really comes down to your preference of EFI over carbs. A new rider won't know the difference in power. That being said, if you plan on keeping it for a while, go with the 300. If you are just using it to learn how to ride and then upgrade, go with a cheaper dollar 250.

Just my opinion.

Much like Owen, we have had these bikes stripped down to the frame and rebuilt several times over.

There is a good availability of aftermarket parts for both these bikes.

you mention future track bike BP

not that there is much payoff with a 30 HP bike
but if you do start to chase more speed after getting going
I think an FI bike is going to be much easier to tune

but the experienced guys are better positioned to comment on that

you mention future track bike BP

not that there is much payoff with a 30 HP bike
but if you do start to chase more speed after getting going
I think an FI bike is going to be much easier to tune

but the experienced guys are better positioned to comment on that

It's not so much the easier ability to tune (have to buy a power commander for the fuel injected - ultimately costs more than a carb jet kit), it's the bone stock %30 increase in HP and a few points more torque....with out touching either bike.
This is only a factor on the track though.

Like I mentioned before, if I was riding around the city and a few trips once in a while, I'd take a $1500 ninja 250 over a $3000 Ninja 300 and spend that difference on experiences riding the bike places.

We have had both, done trackdays and racing with them.

They are both capable bikes. It really comes down to your preference of EFI over carbs. A new rider won't know the difference in power. That being said, if you plan on keeping it for a while, go with the 300. If you are just using it to learn how to ride and then upgrade, go with a cheaper dollar 250.

Just my opinion.

Much like Owen, we have had these bikes stripped down to the frame and rebuilt several times over.

There is a good availability of aftermarket parts for both these bikes.

Steve knows.

That insurance is crazy. My cbr300 first year with M2, full coverage was $2200/yr. Squeeky clean record. As for the OP, 300's are the new 250's. Why buy an ipad 1 when there's an ipad 4?

Back
Top Bottom