Insurance for a 50cc scooter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for a 50cc scooter

Frank_Fullman

I have a full m License live in Mississauga and have been riding continue sly and insured for 5 years since i got my license. I currently have a 2015 honda cb300f and pay 124$ a month for insurance. I ride for most of the year and rack on a lot of millage I am on my 3rd year now with my cb300f and have 20000 km on my bike. Id like to get a 50cc scooter to run errands and to commute on cause i can carry more stuff and to put less mileage on my motorcycle. Im wondering how much it would be for insurance? I am going to be 27 in june.

Normally insurance on the second bike is almost as much as insurance on the first bike.

Don't worry about mileage on your 300, lots of people have put over 100K on them.

Not sure about Multiple Bikes, But as a Possible New Rider (Assuming I Got my M1 in March & M2 in May 2018), 29 Single Male with Area Code of N0B 2M0 & Rider Training Course, the Mitchell & Whale Online Quote Tool Quoted me $37/Month ($439/Year) Through Wawanesa on a 2003 Yamaha BW 50, Through Echelon it would be $81/Month ($972/Year)

I called and got a quote on a yamaha bw50. Full M 3 bikes 2 cars and house already, to add the scooter with liability only with TD general was $180/year lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Unless you really want the scooter, it'll just cost you a whole lot more in the end than you'll ever save in any reduced deprecation on the 300, if that's your idea.

7000KM a season is a respectable mileage, but as GreyGhost mentioned, you needn't worry about racking up more...lots more - a modern motorcycle can easily run in to the hundreds of thousands of kilometers without any major concern, contrary to some that think anything with more than 50,000KM is ready for the trash heap.

I Just thought about something, I'm not 100% sure how Licences work but I know there's a L Condition for Limited Speed Scooters/Mopeds, With that in mind I'm not sure if you could Ride a Scooter with a Normal/Full Speed/Size Licence if you'd need both a M & ML Licence, M for the 300 & ML for the Scooter as you wouldn't be able to ride the 300 with the L Condition for the Scooter?

I Just thought about something, I'm not 100% sure how Licences work but I know there's a L Condition for Limited Speed Scooters/Mopeds, With that in mind I'm not sure if you could Ride a Scooter with a Normal/Full Speed/Size Licence if you'd need both a M & ML Licence, M for the 300 & ML for the Scooter as you wouldn't be able to ride the 300 with the L Condition for the Scooter?
No. A full M license can operate all but an L condition prohibits you from riding anything bigger.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Your right most people’s don’t ride much. Most people’s trade up to a bigger bike or crash before the bike gets all its use. People are always supposed when I tell them I ride almost as much as I drive my car. There is more to maintain on a bike as it gets into the higher millage tho like valves, brakes, and tires

Your right most people’s don’t ride much. Most people’s trade up to a bigger bike or crash before the bike gets all its use. People are always supposed when I tell them I ride almost as much as I drive my car. There is more to maintain on a bike as it gets into the higher millage tho like valves, brakes, and tires

Any extra maintenance required to keep the 300 running as the miles climb will be less than the additional maintenance required to keep another vehicle running. I'm with privatepilot, if you want a scooter get one and enjoy it, but it is going to cost you more money in the short run and in the long run.

I've seen people trying to justify buying a motorcycle to save money at the pumps. That argument is even more misguided than this mileage/maintenance argument.

I was going to buy a Ruckus to go along with the Goldwing and dropped the idea when I found out the insurance cost. I didn't bother shopping around but from the replies above it looks like there could have been other options.

You can pick up cost ideas from this forum but your results may vary. Get quotes in writing for yourself before committing to a purchase.

And GreyGhost has it right on the economics. A cheaper option would be to take a vacation to a Caribbean island and rent one for a week. That might get it out of your system.

Normally insurance on the second bike is almost as much as insurance on the first bike.

Don't worry about mileage on your 300, lots of people have put over 100K on them.
I once got a quote for two cars and it was actually more than the individual cost of insuring each one.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out for numbers, 5 bikes on road and used. 500 has full coverage with collision while others are without. 2 million on policy. Area south of Hamilton
Honda CB500FA. 692
Suzuki Burgman 400. 413
Honda CBR125R. 429
Yamaha BW’s 125. 339
Kymco B&W 250. 341

Back
Top Bottom