Have you deleted Facebook yet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Have you deleted Facebook yet?

DJM

Site Supporter
I did just now. Had enough of the BS from that t-shirted, spectrum git. What a cancer on society it's become.

I had stopped posting on it quite a while back because of my reservations about it but kept it active to watch my nieces and nephews grow up. I'll have to find other ways. Now just have to avoid logging in for the next 14 days and it's gone forever. So they say....

Deleted my account about 8yrs ago.
Haven't missed it at all.

Nothing is ever gone completely. Never got into it much to start with, so no biggie.

Last edited:
I come here and look for the stupidest position I can find, and then post it on Facebook.

Just to be fair, I alternate sides. I figure their algorithm will crack before I do.

Last I remember if you delete your account you can reactivate it within a year and be right back where you were. Would be interesting if a large percentage of users did just that, even for a week...

Nothing that has happened or has come to light was news to me... So I see no need to make any changes, already knew, or should I say suspected. One would have to be a complete idiot to vote based on what they see on Facebook, or GTAM...

I deleted mine in 2011, about 3 months after I opened it.

The only interaction I have with Facebook now is thru WebBroker -- I shorted me a few shares last week.

I left the cult almost 2 years ago. I use twitter more now though. But that's mainly because it allows me to insult Trudeau directly.

Has it's benefits, for me it allows me to stay in touch with the family back home.

I have a FB messenger chat group with 4 buddies that we communicate daily through.

Twitter allows you to follow along with family and friends without the annoying game invites ;)

Twitter allows you to follow along with family and friends without the annoying game invites ;)

I don't think anyone in my close family uses twitter.

Also there are so many retarded responses on Twitter though, a few ppl i follow John Cleese, Gary Lineker and Stephen Fry the comments/replies are typically dominated by yahoo's.

Game invites are easily blocked, and so are the users/friends that are asking you to sign up. I just did a purge of my FB friends, removed about 300 ppl. It's now down to a respectable amount.

I post very very little to FB. I haven't really updated it in 15 years. I use it to see how old friends lives are going (ones that you don't often talk to but still like). There is no real reason for me to delete it.

Facebook messenger is the devil and I avoid it whenever possible (they are obviously up to no good when they force you to install separate software just to view a text message).

1Have you deleted GTAM yet? 2 3Both Facebook and Google hook right into GTAM, and even provide services for linking to pictures, changing your character set, linespacing etc. 4 5This is posted on five separate lines with them turned off.

Mostly use it for bicycle/motorcycle related stuff. Sold thousands of dollars worth of bicycle parts through it and finding vintage stuff I want/need is far quicker/easier than using traditional web forums. Much better than using feeBay or dealing with Kijiji people as well. You know who your're dealing with. All the pages I use are real name/profiles or GTFO. Of the 50 friends on my list I've accumulated over 8 years 35 are old friends since the 70s/80s and the rest are bike/moto people, half of whom I've met personally since. No plans to delete it. It finances my hobbies for the most part, and who I'm interacting with are either lifelong friends or people who all have things in common with me.

I'm involved in various things through FB that don't really allow me to separate myself from it, but I'm also extremely savvy about how my account is setup from a privacy perspective, and what I post and share there.

A lot of the issues people have on Facebook is when they just blindly click on every stupid app and game and give them all sorts of permissions to view every piece of their personal information - they are their own worst enemy in this scenario. Those stupid "What's your IQ?" surveys and junk like that are little more than data mining your account 95% of the time - ever wonder why so much of the junk on Facebook asks for every permission from A to Z just to do some stupid survey, or see a video clip? Yeah, you're willfully giving up your data, that's why.

Personally, I get a laugh out of a lot of people on Facebook that cry about certain things:

- "Free speech". Facebook is a business, and free speech isn't guaranteed there, so stop bitching when FB (or whatever page you're posting on) deletes your comments when you're being a tool. If you want to practice free speech you are presented every opportunity to do so in the appropriate places, but you are not guaranteed it most places online.

- "Oh noes, my privacy is being breached!?!" Then stop sharing private things, stupid, especially publicly.

- People who complain about people "Creeping" their profiles and looking at their "private" content. No, if someone who's not your friend is seeing photos and posts you consider "private", you're a dumbass and haven't setup your account properly and just stupidly posting content as "public" instead of "Friends only".

- People who again complain about privacy, but you look at their friends list and they have 5,000 people on it, most of whom they probably have little or no personal contact with (or they've never met in their life) but just decided it's cool to friend anyone they've ever interacted with anywhere. Then they post all sorts of intimate details of their personal life and wonder why it doesn't stay private.

- People who post drama online, and then complain about the drama that ensues. Don't be stupid, problem solved.

My friends list is about 100 people and consists of only people who I actually see face to face every few weeks (about 50% of my list right there), old school friends, and more distant family. I don't have strangers on it at all, end of story. I am careful with what I share (nothing innately personal, no drama, no vaguebooking, and no politics), and what I do share is carefully selected to be private to friends only, with the occasionally typically neutral/boring public post that might serve some other purpose.

Accordingly, FB works well for me without much concern.

Last edited:
Yup,i'm with PP on this.Well said.I use it for keeping track of mc related events and feel good stuff with my children and grandkids.Wanna play candycrush? Delete friend.

In too deep, too many contacts are being maintained through facebook.

Simple rule of the internet applies: Don't post anything on the internet that you wouldn't want to shout out in public in front of city hall beside your mother. I'm not too concerned about it.

I don't play games, I don't answer surveys, I don't grant permission to everything that asks for it (seldom does anything ask for it if you don't do games and surveys and the like - generally if something is asking for it, I just close whatever it is that's asking). All those "Copy and paste to your status if you support X" posts ... come to my profile to die.

I store photos on it for my family to see. I also report all ads as innapropriate for the hell of it.

Back
Top Bottom