Best value small 4x4/AWD (non US)? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best value small 4x4/AWD (non US)?

Im guessing shock tower. I did this repair on my bro's 008 Exploder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvcn_w6GNms

I bought this kit for my brother's Escape. I bought the part online for $150US, it took me 4 hours to weld it in. A body shop should charge you about $75/hr, so you could get this done for $500-600.

Sounds like that might be it. The shop guy said he’d seen a few escapes with the same issue. Around $650 for the weld fix, $550 for the brakes (they are mush), add taxes and unexpected costs and I’m guessing just shy of $1500 will buy me a few more years.

Sounds fair.

The way I look at replacing cars is simple. I take a car payment and put it aside every month. When my old car starts costing more than a new one, I jump to a new car.

For me, this is usually 10-11 years and 300-400 thousand km.

I have an exception to this, I once got 720KM out of an Audi 80. That car was like a Quinton Tarantino can't kill character.

For me it’s if the car will cost me more than 2k in repairs over a few months. The X trail was getting dangerous so it had to go, years ago it was the transmission on a Ford Explorer that was the final straw. I have a great local garage with more than fair prices so I’m pretty lucky. I will have to look at a replacement at some point though, in the meantime I’m just going to try to avoid potholes.

For me it’s if the car will cost me more than 2k in repairs over a few months. The X trail was getting dangerous so it had to go, years ago it was the transmission on a Ford Explorer that was the final straw. I have a great local garage with more than fair prices so I’m pretty lucky. I will have to look at a replacement at some point though, in the meantime I’m just going to try to avoid potholes.
My Xtrail was the last straw for Nissan. I had an 86 SX300 TT ($40K), 86 Pathy ($21K), 02 Q45 ($90K), & 03Xtrail ($15K - bundle with the Q54) . I bought the cars and trucks together -- cars for summer, SUVs for winter. The cars lasted but had zero resale value, they trucks were dependable but were scrap after 8 years due to rust -- even though both were rustproofed.

No more Nissan for me.

Last edited:
so I'm not flush with cash. Wife prefers AWD/4x4 and so do I, she likes a higher seating position too as well as SUV. What are the best options currently for a new small non US manufacturer AWD/4x4 that's reliable? Yes..I will get it rustproofed. Yes I'll also look at pre owned too. .

you could probably get yourself a nice used Honda Element. ticks all the boxes you mention above.

Mazda and Subaru are both offering 0.99% financing rates on new vehicles.

The CX3 you have to move to GS trim for AWD which lists at near $27k which includes freight but, not HST

It’s one of the best looking vehicles in the segment.

The Forester is larger than desired but, AWD is standard and the base trim gets you a 6spd manual. $26k plus freight and HST.

Impreza hatchback is just under $25k out the door as that includes freight & HST and fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the rest of the car is good I'd get it welded and just do the brakes yourself as they're an easy repair.

I think the new Hyundai Kona looks interesting. I expect to be in need to a new vehicle in the next year +/-. Really what i would like would be a small p/u, but prices on trucks are really silly. A small SUV would likely do 95% of everything i need anyway

Thanks everyone. We are going to get it welded to give us another year or so I hope. The rest of the car is in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom