Best value small 4x4/AWD (non US)? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best value small 4x4/AWD (non US)?

jc100

Just got some bad news about our second car, a Ford Escape, that's rusted through main structural parts at the rear of the body. I just bought a new Honda back in November last year to replaced a rusted out Nissan so I'm not flush with cash. Wife prefers AWD/4x4 and so do I, she likes a higher seating position too but we would also look at cars as well as SUV. What are the best options currently for a new small non US manufacturer AWD/4x4 that's reliable? Yes..I will get it rustproofed. Yes I'll also look at pre owned too. The Ford lasted 11 years so I guess that isn't too bad...could have done with a couple more though.

Off the top of my head, either another CRV. a Rav4 or a Subaru Crosstrek. They never offer any deals on new Subaru's though.

Off the top of my head, either another CRV. a Rav4 or a Subaru Crosstrek. They never offer any deals on new Subaru's though.

We can go smaller than the CRV this time. Are there any super compacts? I'll look at reviews too but I've never looked at this class before.

Hmmm ...

With anything in this market segment, make sure the "all wheel drive" option box is checked. It's not always standard.

Honda has the HR-V which is the next size class smaller than a CRV. It's a Fit underneath.

Toyota has a funky-styled thing whose name escapes me, which is smaller than the RAV4. When they announced CVT-only for the North American market, I ceased paying attention to them.

Nissan Juke (Joke)? Don't know if all-wheel-drive. Again, CVT = no care. I've never rented a Nissan that I liked.

Nothing Subaru makes is smaller than what you've got. Friend's experience with an Impreza was that it offered neither good performance nor good fuel consumption.

Everything I can think of from European brands is same size or bigger than what you've already got. Smallest American-brand with AWD that I can think of is the new Ford Ecosport (new on the market in North America, it has been in other markets for a few years). Basically a raised Fiesta underneath. GM and FCA stuff is all roughly same or bigger than what you've got.

I looked at smaller in the past, but I found that the price wasn't substantially less for a big drop in usability. I would only consider smaller if I had a parking issue (eg garage only accomodates x feet long). I have heard good things about the tiny buick but I've never personally looked at one.

It's a tough segment to choose from. I would never consider another FCA product, there's the older Tiguans but they aren't very good on fuel economy and are hit and miss for quality. The segment underneath like Ecosports and HRV's are overpriced penalty boxes. I know nothing about the little Buick but haven't heard many nice things about it's Chevy counterpart the Trax.

Have you considered a wagon? Golf SportWagen 4-motion maybe?

Edit* Forgot about the Mazda CX-3, that looks decent.

Last edited:
I’ve looked at a few recently. Kia does have some zero percent financing on select models. The base AWD Sorento is a big machine but, I was surprised the little 4 managed to do the job and the cabin in roomy and quiet.

The Sportage is smaller but, it’s styling is quirky. Inside, it’s nice.

I viewed the VW Sportwagen and it comes in AWD. I didn’t get far enough into the sales process to determine lease and financing rates.

Toyota C HR styling is polarizing. We didn’t look at it. Not sure if it comes with awd? To me, it would have poor visibility but, I don’t have personal experience to back it up.

Subie. To me, the price point between the Forester and Crosstrek are about the same. They over lap at lot. The smaller Crosstrek is going for looks while the Forester won’t win the beauty pageant. The the difference in fuel consumption is small if memory serves.

The Nissan Qashqai is a baby Rogue. Updated styling. Isolated cabin but also isolated steering feel.

I haven’t the chance to check out the new Ford EcoSport other than at the Autoshow. Doubt any deals for a new model and you never know about new model intro teething issues.

I’ve seen the Buick thingy running around. Not sure about deals and features but, small, cuv, hatch. Awd? Price? Not sure.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can go smaller than the CRV this time. Are there any super compacts? I'll look at reviews too but I've never looked at this class before.

Crosstrek is the one Or the HR-V. AWD and reliable. If smaller is ok anyway. If larger then the CR-V or the Rav are great. But if you can handle a sedan get the Impreza. You get a lot for what you pay for. German for sure.

Crosstrek is the one Or the HR-V. AWD and reliable. If smaller is ok anyway. If larger then the CR-V or the Rav are great. But if you can handle a sedan get the Impreza. You get a lot for what you pay for. German for sure.

I just looked at the Crosstrek and that's at 27k for an automatic model pre tax. Ideally I'd like to be under 25k and preferably a lot lower. I might start looking at the AWD car segment too. Really the only "must have" component is AWD or 4x4 ...."would like" is higher seating position...everything else is gravy.

Edit: What about poor sellers that are reasonable and might be 2017 leftovers?

Mitsu should be pretty desperate. The RVR is probably between HRV and CRV size. I don't know if they could be cheap enough for me to consider buying a new one though.

Mitsu should be pretty desperate. The RVR is probably between HRV and CRV size. I don't know if they could be cheap enough for me to consider buying a new one though.

Forgot about Mitsubishi...decent warranties as far as I can remember.

Just saw the Hyundai Kona that comes in at $23000 pre tax for AWD.

Why not US made? I've had Jeeps for years, they always served me well. I tried an Xtrail, Pathfinder and (gag) Pilot - stupidly expensive to repair and they saw the shop a lot. The last Jeep I retired went 450K with no major repairs, I have an old Commander with 300K, it's getting it's first major work now -- cost me $1000 for a front suspension/steering overhaul - inner/outer tie rod ends, upper& lower ball joints and front brake pads. My kid drives an '15 Patriot -- 100K on it now, it's never been to the shop -- just oil/fluid changes so far.

Forget anything Nissan -- they laugh at rustproofing. I buried a Pathfinder at 8 years old, and a Xtrail at 9 - both rustproofed, both rotted from the inside out.

Why not US made? I've had Jeeps for years, they always served me well. I tried an Xtrail, Pathfinder and (gag) Pilot - stupidly expensive to repair and they saw the shop a lot. The last Jeep I retired went 450K with no major repairs, I have an old Commander with 300K, it's getting it's first major work now -- cost me $1000 for a front suspension/steering overhaul - inner/outer tie rod ends, upper& lower ball joints and front brake pads. My kid drives an '15 Patriot -- 100K on it now, it's never been to the shop -- just oil/fluid changes so far.

Forget anything Nissan -- they laugh at rustproofing. I buried a Pathfinder at 8 years old, and a Xtrail at 9 - both rustproofed, both rotted from the inside out.

My X trail rotted too that's why I had to replace it recently...nothing Nissan for sure. My Ford had been OK up to now but always had niggling issues with brakes/dealership etc. American made is just a (maybe) flawed perspective. I've had worse experiences in Ford/Chrysler places vs the imports. Reliability "seems" better with most imports. I like the styling of the imports a bit more than the US made.

Just got a quote for $1.3K to weld the back end of the car a bit to give me maybe a couple more years and see to soggy brakes so I might do that instead.

Honda HR-V is an excellent choice. Well built, high quality, great on gas, and very versatile with space as its Fit based.

look no further.

I just looked at the Crosstrek and that's at 27k for an automatic model pre tax. Ideally I'd like to be under 25k and preferably a lot lower. I might start looking at the AWD car segment too. Really the only "must have" component is AWD or 4x4 ...."would like" is higher seating position...everything else is gravy.

Re: poor sellers.

Nothing in the segment is poor selling. Small/compact/awd/ cheap is in demand.

Subaru Impreza convenience package is listed at $24k plus tax and extras.

Kia makes a pretty decent 4x4, i own a top of the line sorento and it has more than enough for what my family uses it for. mostly wife drives it for work.

also volvo's seem to be a good car

Honda HR-V is an excellent choice. Well built, high quality, great on gas, and very versatile with space as its Fit based.

look no further.

The only issue with the HR V is availability. In very high demand and dealers are happy to let you walk. If you don’t like what is on the lot, get in line.

Want awd and lower trim level in a particular colour and it’s not there? Too bad.

They are happy to find you a higher end trim level if you are willing to pay.

Pretty sure you can’t get one for less than $27k for AWD.

Nice car and worth a look though.

but we would also look at cars as well .

ok, here's a wild card for you... the 2018 Accord. as great as it is, its not selling well. people don't want sedans. Honda dealers in America are meeting with Honda headquarters to discuss a solution on how to move these things. http://www.motortrend.com/news/dealers-seek-help-selling-2018-honda-accord/

I'm certain the Cdn dealers are in a similar boat.

Look for incentives and pants dropping from dealers in the near future. Its an incredible car and offers tremendous bang for the buck, esp with discounts. You can always add snow tires for "awd" like traction.

My X trail rotted too that's why I had to replace it recently...nothing Nissan for sure. My Ford had been OK up to now but always had niggling issues with brakes/dealership etc. American made is just a (maybe) flawed perspective. I've had worse experiences in Ford/Chrysler places vs the imports. Reliability "seems" better with most imports. I like the styling of the imports a bit more than the US made.

Just got a quote for $1.3K to weld the back end of the car a bit to give me maybe a couple more years and see to soggy brakes so I might do that instead.
Im guessing shock tower. I did this repair on my bro's 008 Exploder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvcn_w6GNms

I bought this kit for my brother's Escape. I bought the part online for $150US, it took me 4 hours to weld it in. A body shop should charge you about $75/hr, so you could get this done for $500-600.

Im guessing shock tower. I did this repair on my bro's 008 Exploder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvcn_w6GNms

I bought this kit for my brother's Escape. I bought the part online for $150US, it took me 4 hours to weld it in. A body shop should charge you about $75/hr, so you could get this done for $500-600.

wtf. I wonder how long that guy was driving with no rear shock. It looks like no metal is left within 4" of the the top of the shock.

https://youtu.be/Vvcn_w6GNms?t=24

Back
Top Bottom