safety inspection questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

safety inspection questions

JP0160

Getting my bike certified this week before the sale. Have a couple questions about what they will allow:

Aftermarket slip-on allowed? I could bring OEM to swap in if required. OEM has CC, aftermarket doesn't.
Do I need reflectors? Do they need to be in factory positions or can I use stick-on's? Colors, quantity?
1 missing fairing bolt?
Front and rear inner fenders removed (have OEM to swap in if required)

Can any auto shop do it or does it need to be motorcycle specific? Any recommendations in York Region? Need it done by thursday. Does Rosey Toes still do mobile inspections, and does he come this far north?

Aftermarket muffler is not a problem as long as it isn't about to fall apart or fall off. (exhaust system has to be "Secure" ... nothing in there about how loud)

Not sure what you mean by "CC".

Reflectors, depends how fussy the inspector is. Most won't care. IF you run into a fussy inspector, the reflectors have to be marked "DOT" and some numbers after it.

Missing fairing screw shouldn't be an issue as long as the fairing itself isn't visibly loose or about to fall off because of it. You haven't told us if the missing screw is one that just joins two panels together to stop them from rattling, or one that holds one of the main panels to the frame underneath.

Most bikes don't have front "inner" fenders - not sure what you mean by this. The rear "hugger" fender shouldn't matter.

Shop needs to have a technician that knows about motorcycles. They have to ride the bike in order to verify that the brakes work.

York Region? Try Fawaz's shop, http://www.speedworxsuperbike.com/

"Mobile inspections" aren't legal. Has to be done at the shop's place of business.

Preface: Some shops will care about some things more than others - IE, Canadian Tire may say reflectors need to be in factory locations, a MC shop or private shop may not even notice if they aren't there, or won't care if they're stick on aftermarket. So chose wisely.

That said:

- Exhaust shouldn't matter as long as there's a muffler present.

- Reflectors SHOULD matter but a lot of shops may not even notice, or care. Irrelevant if they're factory or stick on as long as they're in the required general positions.

- Missing fairing bolt not likely to be an issue for a lot of places unless the fairing is noticeably loose as a result, then it becomes a safety/security issue.

- Fenders, again, will depend on how much of a hard *** the shop decides to be. Technically whatever is there needs to be able to at least control road spray to make sure that you're not sending up a 150 foot rooster tail behind you in the rain, or spray off your front wheel isn't blinding you. Again, a place like CDN tire may flip out with anything obviously missing, but are unlikely to even notice a cleaner solution like a tail tidy.

- Any shop can technically write the inspection, but technically part of the inspection requires the bike to be ridden, and not all shops may even know what to look at on a bike as they may not have staff familiar with them, so a bike specific shop is probably wise if you actually care about the bike actually being well inspected. Again, some shops let that slide and will write it even if they don't have anyone M licensed..and if the signal lights blink, the headlight works, and brakes work, and the bike isn't a wreck...they'll pass it.

- Last I'd heard rosey toes got in trouble for doing mobile safeties and doesn't anymore. They are not legal.

Edit: Looks like Brian and I were responding at the same time...but are on the same page.

From my experience (6 inspections), I found that as long as the bike is in safe working condition, it should be good.

Reflectors, had 1 bike that didn't have them. Passed.

Aftermarket exhaust, had 1 bike that passed

Had 1 bike with missing fairing bolts, but sturdily on the bike otherwise, passed.

Had 1 bike with weak battery that decided to not work on inspection day, passed.

Not to hijack, but what about the VIN sticker on the frame?

On my current bike, I went a little trigger happy while removing warning labels and took off the thicker sticker on the frame.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reflectors, had 1 bike that didn't have them. Passed.

Doesn't surprise me, but it shouldn't have.

You really want those reflectors there anyways. We are invisible enough as it is at night, you want every single piece of safety equipment present and working for night riding.

It is a main fairing bolt but the fairing is in no way loose even at speed. Not sure when I lost it but I never even noticed until now. The rear hugger is off and the regular front fender is off, but there's never any roost that hits me and you can barely tell. By CC I meant catalytic converter. So I guess I'll grab some cheapo reflectors just in case and try to find a bolt for that fairing. I was mostly worried about the muffler. I have a canadian tire pretty close, I'll call them tomorrow. If they don't do them I guess its suzuki newmarket

Might be easier to post a pic of the bike here for some of us to visualize the fender thing better as it's still not clear to me.

And if you see some young kid on a red F4i up in your neck of the woods tell him a guy from GTAM says hi. He was a bit famous here a few years ago. Be careful, he probably doesn't have insurance. ;)

Might be easier to post a pic of the bike here for some of us to visualize the fender thing better as it's still not clear to me.

And if you see some young kid on a red F4i up in your neck of the woods tell him a guy from GTAM says hi. He was a bit famous here a few years ago. Be careful, he probably doesn't have insurance. ;)
IMG_20180317_162512_zpstjiqsefo.jpg

I was here when he came around, talked to him a few times. He still has the bike and posts random dirtbiking/atv videos on youtube, not sure if he rides the F4i anymore

The only thing that sticks out to me is the front fender missing honestly. If it's just a few bolts to put it back on that probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the safety at least...and then decide if you want to take it back off after the fact.

Nice looking ride...I like the black look with the accent.

From my perspective, if one thing is clearly missing (front fender), then my instinct is to want to scrutinize everything and question if the bike was properly maintained and cared for.

Why give the shop mechanic any incentive to want to find more things wrong?

More importantly, do you want potential buyers wondering what else is missing or wrong with the bike?

You will get fewer questions and the most money for your bike with the fenders and missing screws installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting my bike certified this week before the sale. Have a couple questions about what they will allow:

Aftermarket slip-on allowed? I could bring OEM to swap in if required. OEM has CC, aftermarket doesn't.
OK, unless the aftermarket is too close to brake lines or other flammable parts. Up to mechanic to decide. Cat is not part of safety.
Do I need reflectors? Do they need to be in factory positions or can I use stick-on's? Colors, quantity?
They must be installed in the OE locations, no requirement they be OE.
1 missing fairing bolt?
Fail. All body fasteners must be securely in place.

Front and rear inner fenders removed (have OEM to swap in if required)
Fail. If they were OE, they must be installed.

Can any auto shop do it or does it need to be motorcycle specific? Any recommendations in York Region? Need it done by thursday. Does Rosey Toes still do mobile inspections, and does he come this far north?
Any shop that issues safety's can do it, not all will do it.

They must be installed in the OE locations

Incorrect. CMVSS states where they must be generally located and their colours, the end. It says noting about them needing to be in the exact OEM/Factory locations whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom