Learned something today about my bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Learned something today about my bike

Vontwowheels

Maybe not the proper catogory but with my first bike and first oil change on it, it might be helpful for people ? Might also be somewhere else here but Oh Well.
I did an oil change on my bike Ninja 300 2013, insurance starts this week and wanted fresh oil.
Did the oil change, wanted to start the bike and verify the level. I went to put it into gear and it kept shutting off the bike I was more concerned that I overfilled it or did something else.
Long story already mostly out there, Ninja 300 and probably a lot of bikes(?) have a kickstand safety switch.
I'm sure there's a lot of knacks I'll learn about but this one had me worried at first.

Anyways it's ready to ride and waiting for insurance to be valid this week. Very excited

Welcome to GTAM, and riding.

Yes, most bikes built in the last few decades have a kickstand kill switch. That, along with the kill switch on the handlebars have stymied a lot of new riders over the years, but it's something you'll learn.

Good on you doing your own maintenance, you can learn a lot about your bike that way...and save a ton of money, as well.

Maybe not the proper catogory but with my first bike and first oil change on it, it might be helpful for people ? Might also be somewhere else here but Oh Well.
I did an oil change on my bike Ninja 300 2013...

As a past ninja 300 owner, I have one more tip for you. That bike likes to scream. Not like I4s but still likes high rpm.

I have some spare parts if you're interested.

Puig windshield, driven clip on, 2 oil filters

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I did an oil change on my bike Ninja 300 2013, insurance starts this week and wanted fresh oil.
Did the oil change, wanted to start the bike and verify the level. I went to put it into gear and it kept shutting off the bike I was more concerned that I overfilled it or did something else.
Long story already mostly out there, Ninja 300 and probably a lot of bikes(?) have a kickstand safety switch.
I'm sure there's a lot of knacks I'll learn about but this one had me worried at first.

Anyways it's ready to ride and waiting for insurance to be valid this week. Very excited
I by-passed mine.

Yeah i remember the few times (i'd say we're up to three) but there's one time in the season when i'll forget i engaged the killswitch and bike won't start and it takes me a good 5-second panicky brain fart before i realize whats up

So it might happen to you again that you don't think about it and go like "why aren't i starting?!"

Kawasaki's also have a feature where when the bike is standstill, gearing up automatically puts it into neutral and won't gear up to 2 and above till the bike starts moving. Needless to say gearing down to 1 always works.

Did you use the Kawasaki S4 10W40?

Motul 5100 or Rotella T6 may be considered a 'performance modification' by your insurance company !

I didnt use Kawasaki No, went with T6 but if my insurance company cares what oil I use that's a tad silly

I didnt use Kawasaki No, went with T6 but if my insurance company cares what oil I use that's a tad silly

Pretty sure he was tongue in cheek there. Emoticon would have been helpful.

Also, some bikes have a tip over switch that kills the engine when....tipped over.
Wise feature if your bike is fuel injected, a carb bike will usually quit when its upside down, but a Fi just keeps running until all the oil is in the wrong end of the engine.

fails are not un- common with the switch,won't fail on the road now.

Crashes as a result of accidentally leaving your kickstand down are far more common than a switch failure.

But to each their own.

you won't do it twice.

I've never done it, and never want to, but at least once a season that switch has killed my engine when I've gone to depart without putting it up because of a moment of distraction.

I know that given given the fact I ride a lot (~20,000K a season, +/- 2500K), eventually, without it, I will leave it down at some point and pay the price.

Thanks, but no thanks - I'll "risk" the failure of the switch, personally. If it ever does fail it's 2 wires to cut and twist together and I'm rolling again - it's hardly something that'll strand you.

Great example...this guy was lucky and saved it. Could have easily been a crash into that guardrail, or into the front of that passing car.

[video=youtube;7Dc0IzpKat0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dc0IzpKat0[/video]

Back
Top Bottom