Liberal government plans to block pirate sites | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Liberal government plans to block pirate sites

Bell, Telus, Shaw and Rogers are in cahoots with the CRTC

I didn't say the CRTC is all bad. These are known in telecom and media as 'small potato issues'

Respectfully, your statements are miles apart.

Trust me, if you follow telecom news, Bell and Rogers particularly have had full blow **** fits about many of the recent decisions in the last 3 years. This is not an agency that's "in cahoots" with any of them right now.

In years past, absolutely - some decisions were such head shakers that it was impossible to come to any other conclusion...but the last few years, absolutely not. Like I said, to the contrary, they have been aggressively pro-consumer, almost always to the severe detriment of telecom and broadcasting.

If you are looking for some interesting reading on many of the CRTC of the last few years, Google Michael Geist.

I didn't say the CRTC is all bad. These are known in telecom and media as 'small potato issues', ones that keep suppliers in line with Canadian competition and anti trust laws. The big ones are related to new entrants that could challenge the existing triopoly.
And there too the CRTC has delivered, under both Libs and Cons. First with Wind and Mobilicity and later with Shaw after Wind got some cheap bandwith under Harper. The highly sought after 4th telecom player still is nowhere near the size it needs to be but the path is laid to get there.

The politicos love to see these kinds of partisan bickering threads. It reinforces allegiances and encourages blind partisanship, so they can be sure to count on so many supporters for their ongoing survival. It's one of the consequences of our outdated electoral system, and if this keeps up we'll be just a two party system soon, with no honest choice.

Last edited:

Trust me, if you follow telecom news, Bell and Rogers particularly have had full blow **** fits about many of the recent decisions in the last 3 years. This is not an agency that's "in cahoots" with any of them right now.

In years past, absolutely - some decisions were such head shakers that it was impossible to come to any other conclusion...but the last few years, absolutely not. Like I said, to the contrary, they have been aggressively pro-consumer, almost always to the severe detriment of telecom and broadcasting.

If you are looking for some interesting reading on many of the CRTC of the last few years, Google Michael Geist.
PP, I did my time in the halls at the CRTC, trust me -- they trade small and big potatoes with the media/telecom. Consumers are protected on a lot of things related to fees, they are not protected from open competition -- the main component of our outrageous fee structure.

The CRTC has limited competition in Canada which leaves 3 companies to set a fee structure like a cartel. They are not an official cartel however they do behave as one and the CRTC and Competition bureau have traditionally cast a 'blind eye' on telecoms pricing structures -- the core of their business.

How can you explain the basic phone/data/text service in Canada averaging $50, when it costs $17 in Germany and $25 in a similar geography -- Australia?

How can you explain the basic phone/data/text service in Canada averaging $50, when it costs $17 in Germany and $25 in a similar geography -- Australia?

1/ Primarily because of lack of competition...which the CRTC has been working hard to remedy.

2/ Bell, Telus, and Rogers are all private companies, so the CRTC lacks the ability to just unilaterally dictate to them that they need to slash their prices, and since all 3 answer to shareholders, they are in the business of maximizing profits, often before all else.

3/ Canadian consumers are often sheep who like to grump and groan about being ripped off by our wonderful Big3, but seldom actually make any effort to do anything to avoid it or penalize their carrier (by taking their business elsewhere) to escape it. Complacency is the Big3's best friend.

On that last topic, remember when you couldn't take your cellphone number with you when you switched carriers (AKA number portability) and you would feel trapped in rip-off cellphone plans because you didn't want to lose your cellphone number? Yeah, the CRTC fixed that as well for consumers...several governments ago.

1/ Primarily because of lack of competition...which the CRTC has been working hard to remedy.
Woah! CRTC flatly denied foreign competitors in investment and spectrum auctions. That's about as much as you can do to stifle competition.

2/ Bell, Telus, and Rogers are all private companies, so the CRTC lacks the ability to just unilaterally dictate to them that they need to slash their prices, and since all 3 answer to shareholders, they are in the business of maximizing profits, often before all else.
CRTC is a regulator, they can set limits on anything they see fit. They can also engage the competition bureau, which they don't do because they have a no-stomp agreement. [/quote]

3/ Canadian consumers are often sheep who like to grump and groan about being ripped off by our wonderful Big3, but seldom actually make any effort to do anything to avoid it or penalize their carrier (by taking their business elsewhere) to escape it. Complacency is the Big3's best friend.
If Telus , Bell, Shaw and Rogers all have set the basic plan at $50 -- what choice do the sheep really have?
On that last topic, remember when you couldn't take your cellphone number with you when you switched carriers (AKA number portability) and you would feel trapped in rip-off cellphone plans because you didn't want to lose your cellphone number? Yeah, the CRTC fixed that as well for consumers...several governments ago.
Great! now you can go from one carrier to another for the same price.

The bottom like is CRTC and the major carriers are in cahoots to protect Canadian telecom carriers. This is at the expense of consumers, it's basically impossible for US or Euro carriers like Verizon or T-Mobile to enter the market with price plans aligned to market fundamentals -- that's why Canadians pay 2x more than they should for telco services.

Last edited:
PP, I did my time in the halls at the CRTC, trust me -- they trade small and big potatoes with the media/telecom. Consumers are protected on a lot of things related to fees, they are not protected from open competition -- the main component of our outrageous fee structure.

The CRTC has limited competition in Canada which leaves 3 companies to set a fee structure like a cartel. They are not an official cartel however they do behave as one and the CRTC and Competition bureau have traditionally cast a 'blind eye' on telecoms pricing structures -- the core of their business.

Australia has garbage internet, the worst of the developed world probably. Same providers.

Australia has garbage internet, the worst of the developed world probably. Same providers.

While that could be true, my friend's internet in Saint George, ON area ... just south east of Cambridge sucks balls too. I am pretty sure you ask many people living in farmland to find out that their internet is not great either here.

Sorry, I'm not buying your arguments.

Competition and deregulation are the key to pricing. CRTC wanted cheaper TV, they let the cablecos develop their own 'skinny packs' that had zero market appeal. Sure you can claim $25 TV packages, but if all you get is 3 decent channels and 20 duds, what is the point? CRTC also hobbled VNO mobile carriers, another way to stifle competition.

When you talk pro-consumer, you mean CRTC rejecting proposals to increase profits for the existing Telco & Media cartels by cutting services, increasing rates and further stifling competition? That's hardly white knight stuff.

20$ ala carte is all I need .... and in the end I was throwing channels in, I really didn't watch that much.

Hey guys what you are describing here is democracy

Electing a handful of human beings once every for years and they make all the decisions on our behalf without consulting or informing

Put them all in a room called parliament and it’s a perfect storm for corruption when big corporations can swoon them

It’s not different than choosing between three restaurants once every four years and that excepting whatever food they serve and what time they serve without having any say otherwise for the next three four years

The whole system needs to change. Corporate corruption pretty much has creeped into anything government

I am currently in the beginning stages building a new political party that will hopefully open a few eyes and shake up the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left or Right or down the middle? That's all what we really need to know. Your program does not matter ... LOL

Hey guys what you are describing here is democracy

Electing a handful of human beings once every for years and they make all the decisions on our behalf without consulting or informing

Put them all in a room called parliament and it’s a perfect storm for corruption when big corporations can swoon them

It’s not different than choosing between three restaurants once every four years and that excepting whatever food they serve and what time they serve without having any say otherwise for the next three four years

The whole system needs to change. Corporate corruption pretty much has creeped into anything government

I am currently in the beginning stages building a new political party that will hopefully open a few eyes and shake up the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really enjoyed this thread beyond the immature posts. I don't understand the liberal/conservative argument, they both cater to corporate agendas.

@Fattboyy has hit the nail on the head. We have the right to vote for whomever we want, but we don't have any different choices -

Going to look up michael giest for some reading..ty @privatepilot.

The future of the internet will be a digital tv services package. Say goodbye to pirate websites, and say hello to pay per use streaming.

20$ ala carte is all I need .... and in the end I was throwing channels in, I really didn't watch that much.

I cannot stand watching cable anymore. We pay $20+ to watch endless mind numbing intrusive commercials , and corporate news media that is anything but objective and informative. and we pay to set up and provide the infrastructure in our own homes to provide a bill board for them to advertise in our homes...ridiculous and outrageous. We should be getting paid for having cable in our homes...

Last edited:
I cannot stand watching cable anymore. We pay $20+ to watch endless mind numbing intrusive commercials , and corporate news media that is anything but objective and informative. and we pay to set up and provide the infrastructure in our own homes to provide a bill board for them to advertise in our homes...ridiculous and outrageous. We should be getting paid for having cable in our homes...
Get an antenna & tv box!

the idea of arranging your life to suit network TV schedule is ludicrous
back in the day I'd try to be home Thursday night for Seinfeld
but now it's a totally dead business model

and sadly I think the days of wide open Internet are almost over

and sadly I think the days of wide open Internet are almost over

I don't think the human race is too far away from receiving the "mark" -as told in the bible. Once we have an electronic device implanted to replace the electronic swipe cards we now use, we will be under complete control. If you want to tell the truth or protest they will simply turn off your "mark", and any kind of trade or commerce will be all but impossible. Again, as told and warned in the bible...Satan is real. And not from this world. (IMO). Be gentle.

Last edited:
I have thought about this, but it isn't the $20+ that bothers me-its the content, and I don't think a tv box will change that...
Lived w/o cable for a long while ...but my better half wanted the cable back.
TV Box gives you a lot of content. They work great for movies and TV shows - tons of content, no commercials, good quality if you have high speed Internet. Not so good for live TV (sports, news, live TV broadcasts).

I don't think the human race is too far away from receiving the "mark" -as told in the bible. Once we have an electronic device implanted to replace the electronic swipe cards we now use, we will be under complete control. If you want to tell the truth or protest they will simply turn off your "mark", and any kind of trade or commerce will be all but impossible. Again, as told and warned in the bible...Satan is real. And not from this world. (IMO). Be gentle.

yup
I think we'll see the google brain implant soon
free internet and content directly to your cortex
but it'll come at a cost
google will know you want something before you do

Back
Top Bottom