Florida bridge collapse solved... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Florida bridge collapse solved...

Armchair engineers amirite?

52314c108a633.image.jpg

Scale is too big.

wow. why were they trying to make a better mousetrap? money to burn? an artistic touch? smarter than the average bear ego's?
When the crack showed up - and it was considered to not be a major problem (huh?)
problem was...arrogance had taken over. An engineer doesn't always have common sense, and Im sure the cost factors were a huge pressure to continue on...
but testing with traffic under the bridge? lack of common sense? or simply arrogance? both? Doesn't matter. Lawyers are going to have a field day with this.

Last edited:
Lawyers are going to have a field day with this.

Can't even begin to imagine. There are some governments and educational institutions involved ... lots of politics. It's quite likely to be a search for the guilty and punishment of the innocent.

Somewhere, there is a set of drawings with an engineer's seal on them. That engineer, is having sleepless nights.

Anyhow, that aside, I also wonder why the hell the road was open during a stress test. Simple logic would dictate that any such test shoudl have been done with the road closed and surrounding area cordoned off for safety.

Because cars are king. Politicians don't have the courage to say no to drivers, their job is on the line. Chris Christie manufactured congestion to try and get back at someone who hadn't supported him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lee_lane_closure_scandal It backfired badly, but it shows exactly the importance of keeping traffic flowing beyond all rational judgement.

Because cars are king. Politicians don't have the courage to say no to drivers, their job is on the line. Chris Christie manufactured congestion to try and get back at someone who hadn't supported him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Lee_lane_closure_scandal It backfired badly, but it shows exactly the importance of keeping traffic flowing beyond all rational judgement.

link was a great read - shows the power of traffic. Interesting take.

and how mental politicians are wtf lol.

Construction drawings have been released and are now being dissected.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=437029 see the posts from 28 Apr 18 12:39 onwards.

TL : DR? The bridge was destined to fail by design. The bridge could not be installed on its end supports without overstressing member 11 and its end connections in the process of doing :so.

They do not seem to be having trouble finding problems with the stamped drawings. Each new post brings up another aspect that the posters see as deficient.

I wonder how much insurance FIGG carries? It will be hard for the company to survive this (assuming the deficiencies being raised are legitimate engineering fails). I feel bad for FIGG employees that had nothing to do with this job. Finding employment at a new firm may be a struggle.

I wonder how much experience the EOR had. I wonder what approval processes the engineering company had in place. Normally a project like this should have multiple sets of eyes on the design before it gets committed. There should be multiple opportunities for someone to flag design issues - and even more so when the design is unorthodox, which this one clearly was.

Aside from the design flaws, I find it remarkable that the process of setting the bridge down on its supports and then adjusting the pretensioners was not identified as a risk that warranted shutting down public access (the road underneath) in the process of doing so. It's not just the EOR who has to answer to this.

Any properly done FMEA or risk assessment should have flagged that.

They do not seem to be having trouble finding problems with the stamped drawings. Each new post brings up another aspect that the posters see as deficient.

I wonder how much insurance FIGG carries? It will be hard for the company to survive this (assuming the deficiencies being raised are legitimate engineering fails). I feel bad for FIGG employees that had nothing to do with this job. Finding employment at a new firm may be a struggle.

The whole thing looks like a bunch of textbook dummies unable to see the forest for the trees. It is absolutely unforgiveable that in this day and age, with all the computerized structural testing and the knowledge gained from past bridge failures a brand new bridge could collapse like that. There is no excuse for it other than stupidity.

The whole thing looks like a bunch of textbook dummies unable to see the forest for the trees. It is absolutely unforgiveable that in this day and age, with all the computerized structural testing and the knowledge gained from past bridge failures a brand new bridge could collapse like that. There is no excuse for it other than stupidity.

FEA software is only as useful as the person running it. If the constraints and wire mesh aren’t set properly it’s garbage in / garbage out.

Obviously with this bridge there were many oversights in the design process. The stress analysis may have been one of them.

Back
Top Bottom