Anyone interested in a new CanAm Spyder? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone interested in a new CanAm Spyder?

HarleyHare

If you are considering a new Spyder this may be of interest to you.

I subscribe to Bombardier products and received a $2,000 off a new Spyder promo card. If you are thinking of buying one I can give you my promo-discount card if you pick it up. PM me.

Thank you for your offer. Not for me.

However, maybe a Veteran or similar may be able to use it. Our Hero's should actually get a fantastic discount. I have a meet few Veterans that are happy to be able to ride again.

Same here, market flood. $2000 not much!

I would have doubted you last week and thinking even $1,000 is great. But in the USA their discounts on new cars are literally insane. Looking at updating my Golf to a GTi or Alltrack. Get on Autotrader USA site and dealers within 500 km of Toronto are clearing brand new 2017s for US$10K off list. You would be crazy to buy and pay for this car in Canada.

not now
but never say never
some older riders with health issues - like vertigo
have found them to be a great way to still ride

Members of this forum are largely against purchasing Bombardier products as I've found out in a recent poll. Largely because of the shameful way the company is managed and funded, not because they feel that the time has not come yet for them to switch to trikes.

As for the Alltrack - why not just go for the SportWagen? Same car, without the silvery cladding. .5" lower suspension. Better price. Also if you don't need AWD, the FWD model has better fuel economy.

Members of this forum are largely against purchasing Bombardier products as I've found out in a recent poll. Largely because of the shameful way the company is managed and funded, not because they feel that the time has not come yet for them to switch to trikes.

As for the Alltrack - why not just go for the SportWagen? Same car, without the silvery cladding. .5" lower suspension. Better price. Also if you don't need AWD, the FWD model has better fuel economy.

Have demo'ed the Spyder and agree while a great option for disabled, I'm not a fan. It does everything really well (except corners) and if you are fearful of dropping a bike or slippery roads during rain, this is a great vehicle. I really think a lot more people should be riding them, especially those who might ride by-the-seat-of-their-pants type of insecurity or fear.

But you really get a creepy and conflicting feeling taking corners. You want to lean, but you can't; it won't let you, like trying to lean in a car seat (no help except to perhaps release some pressure - lol). I suppose if you learn to trust the computer to faithfully re-calibrate the proper braking and speed adjustments made by the computer as you take a corner, then no anxieties.

Sportwagen is also an option, but when you fully load it with AWD and sunroof and other stuff, you are within $2K of the Alltrack. In Ontario you don't need AWD unless you live in the country and can actually move. In a large city like Toronto, you can only move at the speed of the slowest spinning-tired car on the road in front of you. You actually don't even need snow tires in the city (braking maybe - or just give distance to car in front) as snow plowing frequency has greatly improved in last 10 years.

Last edited:
Members of this forum are largely against purchasing Bombardier products as I've found out in a recent poll. Largely because of the shameful way the company is managed and funded....

You do know Bombardier and BRP are two different companies?

Bombardier makes street cars, subways & aircraft.
BRP makes Spyders, SeaDoos, SkiDoos, 4x4's, ATV's and Side-bySide's.

I thought it was a division of the same company. Is it completely separate?

I thought it was a division of the same company. Is it completely separate?

Bombardier sold off the recreational products division (BRP) in 2003. The two companies are totally separate now.

Yes. You do know that Bombardier family still owns a substantial part of BRP?

Plus I am not talking about my personal feelings but the general vibe on GTAM.

Last edited:

Sportwagen is also an option, but when you fully load it with AWD and sunroof and other stuff, you are within $2K of the Alltrack. In Ontario you don't need AWD unless you live in the country and can actually move. In a large city like Toronto, you can only move at the speed of the slowest spinning-tired car on the road in front of you. You actually don't even need snow tires in the city (braking maybe - or just give distance to car in front) as snow plowing frequency has greatly improved in last 10 years.

My point was - why even bother with the Alltrack at all? (Unless you specifically like the slight difference in styling) If they beefed it up more and made it like the previous gen Outback, then I would consider it myself. But the way it is, not enough of a difference from SportWagen. (BTW, I am a fan of both these cars. Real roomy for the size, interior is quite comfortable and well organized)

As for tires, they are winter tires. Calling them snow tires creates the misconception that they are only designed for snow. They are made from different compounds than all-season rubber and I can assure you that they perform much better, even in dry conditions (when it's cold). Of course they are not necessary but I've been using them for years and I do feel safer.

Last edited:
I asked a CAA tow truck driver which brands are most often in need of a tow.He said CanAm and Harley.

I asked a CAA tow truck driver which brands are most often in need of a tow.He said CanAm and Harley.

Interesting. That could also be related to the type of people that buy them (generalizing as more money than mechanical aptitude). Obviously not all riders fit the mould, but I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few were towed because the kill switch got bumped.

I just don't understand the spyder. It combines all the negatives of a bike (helmet, lack of protection from weather, lack of protection in a collision) with all of the negatives of a car (large footprint, slower, expensive). For my money a miata has a spyder beat for almost every situation.

I think Spyders are interesting and would own one if $30K mean't nothing to me.

They are like a wheelchair-motorcycle -- a great option if you can't manage 2 wheels. I can't understand why anyone would choose a Spyder over a motorcycle or basic sport car.

Maybe some Spyder owners can share their decision making.

Yes. You do know that Bombardier family still owns a substantial part of BRP?

Plus I am not talking about my personal feelings but the general vibe on GTAM.

Yes correct. Wikipedia says the family owns 35% so it must be true.

Forgot to mention they also own Evinrude and Rotax.

Yes here on GTAM they're none too desireable.

You actually don't even need snow tires in the city (braking maybe - or just give distance to car in front) as snow plowing frequency has greatly improved in last 10 years.

While i appreciate this in an opinion, you're not correct.

Yes correct. Wikipedia says the family owns 35% so it must be true.

Forgot to mention they also own Evinrude and Rotax.

Yes here on GTAM they're none too desireable.

Well you've got some, so obviously you decided with your wallet. Why spyders over small sports cars or conventional bikes?

Back
Top Bottom