Double the mileage = half the price? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Double the mileage = half the price?

not in my opinion.....

maybe 100000 vs 200000 you might have a leg to stand on

but your numbers are way too low

now the price could be dropped if say at 60k the bike needs a valve job, and plugs, and so on, but that still would not be half as much compared to the bike with 30k

Not really. Say bike 1 has 1 km on it. Bike 2 isn't worth half the price. At the other extreme, they might also both be worth the same.

You'd be better off to look at how much mileage you can expect to get out of it, in it's current shape.

twice the mileage , perhaps better maintained, didn't get dropped three times..... list goes on.

I agree with the others. On top of that the bike with more mileage might be worth more depending on a lot of factors...

if both bikes are in exactly the same condition(tires, brake pads, etc.) and the only difference is the mileage of 30k vs 60k, the 60k one might be worth a few hundred to 500 $ less.

I would take higher mileage and maintained over low mileage and beat to hell.

Market dictates the value guys. And our market is very sensitive towards a perceived high mileage motorcycle. Generally, anything over 40K is difficult to sell. When you are over 50K it becomes near impossible to get any real money. Of course there are exceptions.

A bike with 30K km will be much more desirable than one with 60K km so I don't agree that the difference will be few hundred bucks to a $500.

Once again (for MacDoc's eyes especially), doesn't mean that the bike with higher mileage is worse or has no value. It means that in our (GTA) market, the demand is for ultra low mileage vehicles. The higher mileage motorcycle may as well be a keeper but don't expect much in terms of resale.

All other things equal, are two identical bikes one with half the mileage of the other is it worth half as much? Say 30k vs 60k km?

Simple Math will tell you this isn't the case.... if every time you double the mileage you lose half the value you'll be out of value quick. A bike with 6k on it that is worth $10,000 would be worth $5000 with 12K on it? Then $2500 with 24K? makes no sense. There's probably a better equation like 10 cents a km or more for bigger bikes but half that (or less) for smaller bikes. But some bikes are known for their ability to hold value with mileage (BWM GS comes to mind). Either way there's no calculation that will work for all bikes. It depends is the best you can do.

its only worth half if you offer cash, tonight

Thanks everyone, I know the formula isn't linear, but exponential. The higher the mileage the more price difference. That said for this specific example, is 30k less worth $1000 or more?

Not selling my bike.
I have 80,000 kms on my Ducati Diavel 2012 Diavel Carbon Red.
Had all the services taken care, valves, recalls, etc. Runs like new, even better. Broken in, lots of umph.
My price, priceless.

Not selling my bike.
I have 80,000 kms on my Ducati Diavel 2012 Diavel Carbon Red.
Had all the services taken care, valves, recalls, etc. Runs like new, even better. Broken in, lots of umph.
My price, priceless.
That's alot of riding

Depends on the vehicle, the seller, and the market.

Thanks everyone, I know the formula isn't linear, but exponential. The higher the mileage the more price difference. That said for this specific example, is 30k less worth $1000 or more?

Need to more specific than that. There are bikes where an extra 30K would make a $1K difference.

Not meaning to be a pain but so many questions posed to the forum are so vague or are lacking so much basic info that trying to respond effectively is virtually impossible.

In this case the OP should tell us what bike he is considering and what year. Are we talking about a 5 year old bike that sold for $5000 new or a 2017 model that retailed for $15,000? Do the bikes have 3,000 km vs. 6,000 km or are we talking 35,000 km vs. 70,000 km.

Just sold my 300 with 35k on it for 3000. Similar models out there with 10k or less for 3000. IMO a bike with more KM's just shows its been used regularly and treated well. A bike that's treated like crap won't make it to high KM status. The buyer had the same opinion, more km's = better maintained. Of course not always true, but generally.

Back
Top Bottom