Inspection for motorcycle insurance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Inspection for motorcycle insurance

Hi guys, I just picked up my ninja 300 yesterday. I called the insurance company i got a quote with (the personal) and tried to set up my policy. I made the mistake of telling them about an upgraded exhaust which they said they wont insure. After talking more I told them that I was misunderstood and the stock exhaust was actually installed (i have the stock exhaust too). They require a motorcycle mechanic to inspect it and verify it doesn't have any exhaust mods. Does anyone know a mobile mechanic that's able to do that? Any suggestions that are a little easier on the wallet? I'll be calling around for more quotes, these guys just gave me the best deal by far (1500 full coverage) 21, male, m2.

Thanks for contacting me about this today. We'll set up something for beginning of next week and I'll provide you a letter at no charge because I loathe insurance companies as being the enemy of motorcycling in this country. Keep in touch.

I originally logged in to this site today to post this story. It infuriates me that insurance companies do this to people. Are they requiring car owners to certify that they have stock headlights in their cars that don't blind every driver that they approach? I see HID and non factory LED headlights being a much larger safety concern than a slip on that provides less horsepower gain than a lawnmower has. It's proof that crooked insurance companies rule this province. I'm sure that if the slip on is installed on the bike after my inspection and the owner has an accident, the insurance company will blame it on the slip on and reject his claim.

So if you buy a brand new Ducati or Triumph and it comes from the dealership (factory) with an Arrows exhaust, is it considered stock when you talk to the insurance weasels , or would a new owner buying the bike and getting insurance three yrs later have a discussion with the broker about 'aftermarket' exhaust?
I ask as my triumph came new with an arrows system, the VIN gives no reference to that exhaust.

From the factory is stock. Just remind new buyers that that is so. Or just say "none" when they ask if there are any performance mods.

OP - Don't volunteer any information to the vultures in the future (insurance companies, government, etc.). This is not a significant modification and doesn't alter the performance of your vehicle.
Not like you stretched it extra 2 feet and installed a car tire on the rear.

Slip ons are very easy to take off btw, watch a youtube video. It's a DIY job.

There are no other insurance companies that you can deal with? Personally I wouldn't want to be with these people, they are the kings of anal.

OP - Don't volunteer any information to the vultures in the future (insurance companies, government, etc.). .

When you enact a new insurance policy you are specifically asked if the vehicle is modified in any way.

Sure, you can lie and say no, but if you ever get an a situation where you actually NEED that insurance it gives the insurance company a possible out to deny your claim or cancel your policy for material misrepresentation.

Will they do that in a simple collision claim, for example? Probably not. Would they for a multi-million dollar liability lawsuit claim against you? Well, you probably wouldn't want to find out.

Thanks for all your input guys, it gets me even more excited knowing that the moto community is this helpful. I understand the risk im taking if i put the akra exhaust back on afterwards. I'm still deciding on if that's a decision I'll be making but based on what my coworkers/friends who ride and your experiences you shared, everyone puts the upgrades and doesnt mention it to the insurance. It was my fault that i was trying to be honest and thats why the insurance company got spooked, they dont want any risk at all and i learned my lesson. They're giving me the best rate because of a discount i get with an organization. It should work out just fine next week, again thank you all.

Thanks for all your input guys, it gets me even more excited knowing that the moto community is this helpful. I understand the risk im taking if i put the akra exhaust back on afterwards. I'm still deciding on if that's a decision I'll be making but based on what my coworkers/friends who ride and your experiences you shared, everyone puts the upgrades and doesnt mention it to the insurance. It was my fault that i was trying to be honest and thats why the insurance company got spooked, they dont want any risk at all and i learned my lesson. They're giving me the best rate because of a discount i get with an organization. It should work out just fine next week, again thank you all.

Have you tried going the route of calling their bluff and telling the agent that this is too much hassle for something that other companies aren't forcing you to do and you'll simply take your business elsewhere if they are going to make you jump through hoops (versus sending a picture, or simply noting on file that you've informed them it's stock).

When you enact a new insurance policy you are specifically asked if the vehicle is modified in any way.

Sure, you can lie and say no, but if you ever get an a situation where you actually NEED that insurance it gives the insurance company a possible out to deny your claim or cancel your policy for material misrepresentation.

They will likely find an to excuse and deny your claim anyway. Its their job to make it as difficult/inconvenient as possible. After all they don't want to pay out.

Never volunteer info, a slip-on on a little ninja 300 isn't gonna do squat

Keep lying to the insurance companies so we can get annual MOT inspections as some other countries have. That sounds like smart fun.

Thanks for contacting me about this today. We'll set up something for beginning of next week and I'll provide you a letter at no charge because I loathe insurance companies as being the enemy of motorcycling in this country. Keep in touch.

what a fantastic offer ! put on the stock exhaust OP. get your letter and insurance. no biggie. great offer from assassin.

nice ride, and you'll get some decent money back selling the slip on can.....

so it's just a slip on
Insurance Co is probably reacting thinking it's a full system
with the tuning to make more HP

maybe have the conversation that it's just the silencer can
and that you have put the stock muffler back on
and there are no performance mods installed
Even StateFarm told me slip ons are a "grey area" and any new tuning is a definite no. But every insurance company also told me any amount of lowering any vehicle (including motorcycles) for any reason is a definite no from them and people are doing that all over the place as well.

All fine and good to lie/not tell them until you kill someone in an accident and need to make a claim and your insurance company refuses to pay out because you committed fraud.

UPDATE, a huge thank you to "theassassin". With his help the insurance policy went through and I finally got to enjoy my first ride yesterday. I can't recommend him enough for all of your motorcycle needs, please give him a shout when you're in need of a mechanic. It's hard to find honest and helpful people and I feel very lucky to have found him in my situation. Once again thank you to everyone who gave their input, I've posted my akrapovic exhaust online and I'm looking to sell it because the risk isn't worth it. Good luck and ride safe!

So if you buy a brand new Ducati or Triumph and it comes from the dealership (factory) with an Arrows exhaust, is it considered stock when you talk to the insurance weasels , or would a new owner buying the bike and getting insurance three yrs later have a discussion with the broker about 'aftermarket' exhaust?
I ask as my triumph came new with an arrows system, the VIN gives no reference to that exhaust.
From the factory is stock. Just remind new buyers that that is so. Or just say "none" when they ask if there are any performance mods.
If it comes from the factory that way it's stock. But if it comes from the dealer that way, but not from the factory, it's still aftermarket.

Ran into that when I was looking at a car I thought was a bit under powered and the dealership actually offered to put an aftermarket turbo kit on it and still honor the full warranty. Insurance wasn't happy with the idea. Obviously much different than just a different muffler but still an example of how something from the dealer might still not be considered stock.

I would have called another insurance company and kept the exhaust. Save a bit of weight. Riders Plus is a pretty good broker for new riders.

Ask questions about bike "mods" before giving your information.

Even StateFarm told me slip ons are a "grey area" and any new tuning is a definite no. But every insurance company also told me any amount of lowering any vehicle (including motorcycles) for any reason is a definite no from them and people are doing that all over the place as well.

All fine and good to lie/not tell them until you kill someone in an accident and need to make a claim and your insurance company refuses to pay out because you committed fraud.

Lowering a bike, especially a sports bike, for the road SHOULD be a hard no. They handle like pigs and are far more dangerous.

I was shopping for Ninja 250's a few years ago and test road one. Thought it handled very oddly. I looked underneath and noticed the non-OEM dog bones on the linkage...bike was lowered. The owner genuinely didn't know and had been riding it like that for a year.

My daughter is an insurance agent and says that many people misrepresent their driving record when applying for coverage. They're told up front an abstract will be run and they still lie. So we're are suffering from an environment where insurance is incredibly expense, there is a lot of fraud in the system in terms of bogus or inflated claims, fake treatment and repair work and deliberate misrepresentation when applying for coverage. So they trust no one and, collectively, we all pay for this and the cycle continues.

My daughter is an insurance agent and says that many people misrepresent their driving record when applying for coverage. They're told up front an abstract will be run and they still lie. So we're are suffering from an environment where insurance is incredibly expense, there is a lot of fraud in the system in terms of bogus or inflated claims, fake treatment and repair work and deliberate misrepresentation when applying for coverage. So they trust no one and, collectively, we all pay for this and the cycle continues.

This completely ........ they tell you they may run an abstract, people hope its printed in Swahili and the agents cant read it. Like border agents, when they ask how long you were away, they already know the answer. Why so many Dumdums ??

We hired a new sales rep in New Brunswick, ordered him a company car, got a photocopy of his New Brunswick license to send to our Ins carrier. Yeah, he was under a 1 yr suspension in NB..... he said, I didn't think Ontario would catch that. I fired him and thought about firing the wanker that recommended him.

Back
Top Bottom