Inspection for motorcycle insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Inspection for motorcycle insurance

Hi guys, I just picked up my ninja 300 yesterday. I called the insurance company i got a quote with (the personal) and tried to set up my policy. I made the mistake of telling them about an upgraded exhaust which they said they wont insure. After talking more I told them that I was misunderstood and the stock exhaust was actually installed (i have the stock exhaust too). They require a motorcycle mechanic to inspect it and verify it doesn't have any exhaust mods. Does anyone know a mobile mechanic that's able to do that? Any suggestions that are a little easier on the wallet? I'll be calling around for more quotes, these guys just gave me the best deal by far (1500 full coverage) 21, male, m2.

i hear that slip on will add 100hp to that ninja

I'm confused

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust and want to lie to them? Or are you planning to put it back to stock?

Full system or just a different can?

Why not just send them some pictures ?

should be that simple eh?

these days an insurance broker/agent likely has an MBA
and has a vague idea what a motorcycle is
and with today's CYA climate, will be looking for a doc for the file

that's a great price for anew rider OP
worth spending a few bucks to keep it

Might help if you told us your approx. location (nearest major intersection).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, i have both the akra and stock exhaust. Im gona run it with the stock exhaust for a little but the akra (only slip on) is currently installed. My closest intersection is dixie rd and lakeshore rd e. Mississauga. Believe me i fought with them for an hour about how they consider this a race upgrade. I think their idea of an investigation is a google search.

so it's just a slip on
Insurance Co is probably reacting thinking it's a full system
with the tuning to make more HP

maybe have the conversation that it's just the silencer can
and that you have put the stock muffler back on
and there are no performance mods installed

I said exactly that. I told them from the start that it has no performance upgrades and just makes the exhaust sound different. They didn't care and kept saying the same thing about its a performance upgrade. You can't reason with them once they made their mind up

Guys, it's 2018 and the days when you could buy a brand new motorcycle and replace the stock emissions compliant components with aftermarket parts that do not comply with anything outside of a race track are gone.
"just the silencer can"
"I told them from the start that it has no performance upgrades and just makes the exhaust sound different."
:rolleyes: and a catalytic converter is just a fancy platinum toaster.

Do you want them to pass a law that clearly states "all motorcycles on the road must be fitted with a non-modified OEM exhaust system" and mandate an annual inspection before you get a new plate? Just keep circumventing the law and that is exactly what is going to happen for ALL of us.

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]They require a motorcycle mechanic to inspect it and verify it doesn't have any exhaust mods." Does your original exhaust have anything stamped into the metal saying it is emissions compliant? That's what a mechanic or anybody else would be looking for.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Guys, it's 2018 and the days when you could buy a brand new motorcycle and replace the stock emissions compliant components with aftermarket parts that do not comply with anything outside of a race track are gone.
"just the silencer can"
"I told them from the start that it has no performance upgrades and just makes the exhaust sound different."
:rolleyes: and a catalytic converter is just a fancy platinum toaster.

Do you want them to pass a law that clearly states "all motorcycles on the road must be fitted with a non-modified OEM exhaust system" and mandate an annual inspection before you get a new plate? Just keep circumventing the law and that is exactly what is going to happen for ALL of us.

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]They require a motorcycle mechanic to inspect it and verify it doesn't have any exhaust mods." Does your original exhaust have anything stamped into the metal saying it is emissions compliant? That's what a mechanic or anybody else would be looking for.[/FONT]

I definitely agree with your point. The aftermarket exhausts don't meet emissions requirements. I will probably sell the akra as i could use the money for better things. Its a ninja 300 I don't care about being the fastest slow bike. I'm just looking for a mechanic thats able to do a house call to get this document to the insurance, I'm gona be putting the stock exhaust on

Last edited:
Start by doing a google search for the closest local shops, pick up the phone and start calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said exactly that. I told them from the start that it has no performance upgrades and just makes the exhaust sound different. They didn't care and kept saying the same thing about its a performance upgrade. You can't reason with them once they made their mind up

did you give them the VIN yet?

if not, tell them they were right and you decided to buy another bike with stock exhaust
then give them the details

edit: cancel that thought, it's stupid

Last edited:
Sounds like the OP is going to restore the original muffler and sell the Akra.

Now he just needs a bonafide motorcycle mechanic to inspect and provide a letter that this is done.

Looking for a house call as it may be difficult for him to take the bike to a shop.

Rosey Toes may do this?

OP - be specific in that it is _not_ a safety certification (safety certs are not supposed to be house calls, or so I've read online).

Sounds like the OP is going to restore the original muffler and sell the Akra.

Now he just needs a bonafide motorcycle mechanic to inspect and provide a letter that this is done.

Looking for a house call as it may be difficult for him to take the bike to a shop.

Rosey Toes may do this?

OP - be specific in that it is _not_ a safety certification (safety certs are not supposed to be house calls, or so I've read online).

Will do, is rosey toes Ted Rose by any chance? I contacted several shops already and they either can't come or won't do it. One of them was helpful and gave me the contact info for Ted. Are we talking about the same guy. I'm also doing my research guys, I'm just seeing if anyone has a good contact to suggest, not trying to seem like a lazy guy begging for help here.

Yes, Ted Rose - shop is called Rosey Toes. I've heard he does house calls.

Your other option is to find a friend with a pick-up truck and ramp. Or vehicle with a trailer hitch and a u-haul m/c trailer. Take it to a shop.

Some Canadian Tires may have m/c mechanics.

Will do, is rosey toes Ted Rose by any chance? I contacted several shops already and they either can't come or won't do it. One of them was helpful and gave me the contact info for Ted. Are we talking about the same guy. I'm also doing my research guys, I'm just seeing if anyone has a good contact to suggest, not trying to seem like a lazy guy begging for help here.
Ted still does house calls. I called and asked twice last and this month.

Back
Top Bottom