What do we need to know how to do? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What do we need to know how to do?

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Do we need to be able to write since keyboards are the way to communicate?

Do manual arithmetic?

Spell?

Drive a car?

Sew?

Some of that stuff seems a necessary skill set to people like me but I recently looked at a cook book handed down from my mother and she didn't get it new.

A century a go a woman (Sexism) not only needed to know the recipe but also how to get the right heat from the stove. The old cookbook instructs how much firewood to put in and how to handle it to get different temperatures. Technology changed that.

With the early cars one needed to know how to adjust the advance, shift gears, etc.

The survivalist in me says we need to know the math and writing but do we really need it any more than knowing spark advance or wood stove technology?

Now you need to know how to clean malware from your computer and where to plug in your electric vehicle!

Math, grammar and spelling are still necessary skills to communicate and function.

Anything else you can farm out and we live in a throw-away society- kids don't fix stuff when it breaks, they just get a new one.

I prefer to be self-sufficient and I'm capable of fixing broken stuff, and modifying stuff, but that's by choice.

Do we need to be able to write since keyboards are the way to communicate?

yes, eventually you need to write in a formal manner
the phone/texting culture is diminishing our ability to do this
but handwriting? no

Do manual arithmetic?

no, complete waste of time/effort and prone to error

Spell?

yes, see first point

Drive a car?

not everyone, too many on the road now

Sew?

no, unless we have that big war some day and when it's over, go back to basics

Some of that stuff seems a necessary skill set to people like me but I recently looked at a cook book handed down from my mother and she didn't get it new.

A century a go a woman (Sexism) not only needed to know the recipe but also how to get the right heat from the stove. The old cookbook instructs how much firewood to put in and how to handle it to get different temperatures. Technology changed that.

With the early cars one needed to know how to adjust the advance, shift gears, etc.

The survivalist in me says we need to know the math and writing but do we really need it any more than knowing spark advance or wood stove technology?

Due to general widespread government Debt and the feelings of the younglings that 'it's not fair' on them that the old folks had so much better opportunities back in the day, a civil war will soon arise between Boomers/Gen-Xs and the Mills/Gen-Ys.

The attempted secondment of earned wealth, will reach a breaking point - BB-Xs will then easily bring the other side to their knees by turning off the internet. A new serf class will be created.

Despite an apparent lack of need to do so, I'd suggest learning to read, write, calculate numbers, and speak well, so you can join the Morlocks instead of the Eloi.

If there was a massive EMP from the sun or a meteor strike. Alot of people will die due to being insufficient.

In this day and age you need to

Be able to type on a computer keyboard

Be able to use a touch screen

Be able to detect phishing,malware,virus

In the city you need to understand transit
Outside of the city you need to drive and know how to drive

Most basic tradework (building/fixing things) is now specialized work

Sewing, cleaning clothes, cleaning cars/detailing, being able to play a sport/play it with your kids, cooking, etc are all things you can just pay to get done and people don't bother with a lot of those tasks

As my co-worker says, "i can spend the time learning to do it and doing it, or i can just pay a premium so i don't have to make the effort" and most people go the path of least resistance.I still like the reward of the effort but most people don't or don't care.

This is looked at in "Rise of the Sufferfest" which partially explains why people are now paying stupid amounts to do obstacle racing, not only to challenge themselves but let them feel the sense of accomplishment derived from pain and exertion that you won't really get while sitting at your desk job.

Back in the factory days, that was just the regular, daily routine, didn't need to seek as many thrills, as you didnt have the time or money to do it.

I was at a vending machine that was left open a while back. One not so nice fellow stole a sandwich. Another worse fellow, opened the door and reprogrammed a couple of the items to charge half price. Basic math skills help you to know when the machine is wrong or defective.

I was at a car accident, and took notes of the other driver's license and information, details of the road conditions etc. I realize that you might be able to do the same with a phone/camera, but what's your backup plan?

From playing hangman, I've learned that spelling mistakes should be punishable by death.

Yes, you should be able to drive a car. Otherwise, what's your backup plan, walk?

Stitching together a hole in a pocket is simple, and everyone should know how to do it. Otherwise, you pay good money or lose stuff.

Even with the stove, you still need to know how to get the right amount of heat, it's just with a dial, instead of how many sticks of wood.

everybody should have some level of basic hand skills. You shouldn't do your own dentistry , but you should be able to put a button on a shirt.

If you cant look at a column of numbers and just sense if they look close or not your doing your self a miss service. Look at the number of miscalculated resteraunt bills , people just pay it. I see a lot of wrong ones.

I encounter dozens of folks a day that should not drive, they should take the bus. This includes you wackers in the BMW's merging on the 401, those two car lengths you gained, making the 80,000lb trucker spill coffee, yeah your a hero.

Every guy should have a go to dinner he can make for a girl, you get fed, she thinks its sexy, you get laid. Its a triple win.

Due to general widespread government Debt and the feelings of the younglings that 'it's not fair' on them that the old folks had so much better opportunities back in the day, a civil war will soon arise between Boomers/Gen-Xs and the Mills/Gen-Ys.

The attempted secondment of earned wealth, will reach a breaking point - BB-Xs will then easily bring the other side to their knees by turning off the internet. A new serf class will be created.

Despite an apparent lack of need to do so, I'd suggest learning to read, write, calculate numbers, and speak well, so you can join the Morlocks instead of the Eloi.

truly funny

read this to my 2 millenial kids
they were not pleased
then went straight to their phones to find out who owns the internet
game, set and match

Yeah, I'm old. I can fix my bike/car/roof/computer/plumbing/electrical/etc....might even survive after a plane crash in the wilderness.....can write legibly and in complete sentences if I want to....add, subtract, divide and multiply most things day to day....and even sew. Cooking....well, I survive.

This was in part started by discussion with a colleague that is so keyboard reliant that he has lost muscle memory to the point he can hardly read his own writing. Mine is nothing to write home about either. Pun intended.

The funny part was we ended up doing a joint service call at a secure location and cell phones were banned for security reasons. He couldn't type notes so I used a pen and paper notepad. When we were clear of the area I took a picture of the page and texted it to him.

Math absolutely.

Printing/cursive taught me to sit my *** down and concentrate. Bonus I don't look illiterate when I write on whiteboards. I teach (adults) so spelling counts also.

My father taught me to be able to drive every vehicle he had at his disposal "never know when you need to make an exit missy"...

I quilt. It's very relaxing for me. Mindless repetition.

My take on math is that a calculator or computer is far less likely to make a mistake than a human.
However to do the math mechanically requires understanding the process which means you are more likely to catch the big mistakes.

Thought I had a leaking drain pipe, turns out it was just a support strap that had come loose and needed to be replaced.

ea0fd7447fc9df324570908f43642a8e.jpg

I use math everyday at work. How do you find the degree you want in a circumference of a circle in a measurement? Inches and millimeters.

Back
Top Bottom