Marshall pay at track/race days | GTAMotorcycle.com

Marshall pay at track/race days

Owen

Might be brining up worms here but which tracks pay their corner marshalls?
I've seen the same people at Grand Bend and Shannonville for both track days and races... But have heard they do not get paid.
Other tracks I've been to, it seems like people who just hang around.

It should be a paid job considering the CRASY amounts people pay to be on track.

One riders track days fees is a fair wage for one marshall.

Safety marshals get bupkus - maybe a free lunch if they're lucky.
Its always been that way.

Where do you think your registration fees go??

Do you really think the TD Orgs are getting rich off registration fees?

What are you talking about, I took the course I think in 2010 and did one year of marshal, they do get paid a day rate. Every organizer is different. I did it as an intro to myself to get into racing, my idea was to do some days with SOAR as a marshal and learn how a race weekend is organized, end up going straight into racing but at that time I would have gotten a free License with Soar if I had done a few weekends plus pay.

Safety marshals get bupkus - maybe a free lunch if they're lucky.
Its always been that way.

Pretty sure the marshals at race don’t get paid as Chris takes collections of gas cards and cash to divvy out to the marshals. Sometime we don’t have enough marshals to run the long track as scheduled and end up doing the pro track. I’ve always thought that if there was a slight increase in our fees $5-10 at least they would be able to get paid and maybe they would have more of a reason to come. I hear they travel from all over so I think only fair to fill their pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an FYI - All the marshals at GBM are paid wouldn't expect them to do it without getting paid. A number of them are fulltime employees( re one of the posts above - if someone told you he only got $60 for a full day he is lying to you - a 4 hr evening deal yeah but a full day no way.)

Last edited:
Yike, almost forgot I started this thread.
11:58pm on a Saturday night hahaha.

Good to know marshalls get paid, for the most part. I was under the impression they do it volunteer, more or less.

A few random track days at Cayuga were just the guys running the day and assume they get track time in lieu of helping out.

I was a CRCA Marshall at Mosport in the early 70's and it was all volunteer however it is an excellent way to get trackside and join the thrill of motorsport. Worked many a bike race including the old 6 hour Sundowner. In 1973 I was the pit marshall for Jackie Stewart and Franscois Cevert at the F1 race. Next door were the Yardley McLarens of Denny Hulme and Peter Revson! No money in the world could ever pay for memories like that. More recently I worked 10 years at the old Molson Indy at the end of the Lakeshore straight. I can't count the number of great drivers I met over the years and the thrill of being trackside (especially the first lap of the IROC series). Everyone should consider marshalling; you might even have a free track day thrown in. Cheers, Jim

I was a CRCA Marshall at Mosport in the early 70's and it was all volunteer however it is an excellent way to get trackside and join the thrill of motorsport. Worked many a bike race including the old 6 hour Sundowner. In 1973 I was the pit marshall for Jackie Stewart and Franscois Cevert at the F1 race. Next door were the Yardley McLarens of Denny Hulme and Peter Revson! No money in the world could ever pay for memories like that. More recently I worked 10 years at the old Molson Indy at the end of the Lakeshore straight. I can't count the number of great drivers I met over the years and the thrill of being trackside (especially the first lap of the IROC series). Everyone should consider marshalling; you might even have a free track day thrown in. Cheers, Jim

Wonder if the marshall @ Mosport who got punched by James Hunt was a volunteer?

MotoAmerica marshalls are volunteers. They get free entry, free on site camping, one free meal, water/pop during the days, a T shirt and hat. If you enjoy watching racing, it is the best way to do it. I volunteered to do the MotoGp race this month at COTA. I get in free and get access most won't have unless you know someone on a team. parillaguy

MotoAmerica marshalls are volunteers. They get free entry, free on site camping, one free meal, water/pop during the days, a T shirt and hat. If you enjoy watching racing, it is the best way to do it. I volunteered to do the MotoGp race this month at COTA. I get in free and get access most won't have unless you know someone on a team. parillaguy

Sounds like fun, depending on the level of responsibility. But that's also access to high level racing and BIG events. No offence to the "pros" at regional races but checking off all those boxes isn't the same value.

Last edited:
Where do you think your registration fees go??

Do you really think the TD Orgs are getting rich off registration fees?

No, I don't think they're getting rich but if money is exchanging hands and people are working and critical to make the event successful, it's fair they should be compensated with something.

Obviously minor hockey is a different world and more people involved, but referees for tyke house league get paid. Not much but something.

All marshals from CMP, CRCA, MMS who work trackdays are paid a fee as set by the marshalling organization.
Marshals say racing events typically volunteer with paid lunch, admission etc as well as the certifications they gain based on racing experience.

We always paid marshals (much more than the $60 suggested above lol) PLUS made sure they got fed and hydrated all day, were given swag/gifts at virtually every event and case of beer or wine for after the event as a thank you for their efforts Its a difficult job, super important for safety and a lot of the time thankless and taken for granted cause they aren't in the spotlight.

AJ

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom