2018 Drag Season! Is anybody out there ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

2018 Drag Season! Is anybody out there ?

rust0r

Hello!

This subsection has been on life support for years! I'm sure we have some amateur and veteran drag racers here whether it be a Friday night "Test" or "Take It To The Track" type; or a full out drag bike setups. I know it's not nearly as popular or well-respected as the 'track day' section/events however I personally love it as it gives me a chance to continually measure myself, make improvements and try to best my previous times while meeting other bike and car owners with similar interests.

I sporadically attend Cayuga (Toronto Motorsports Park) for their Friday night Test and Tune / Take It To The Track events; hoping to get out much more at the start of the season this year. Usually skipping any weekend where they have big races or formal events as Friday nights are just way too busy and you don't get many runs in. I typically also skip the entire month of August just due to how hot the nights are.

I picked up an GSX-R 750 (stock minus exhaust) at the beginning of last year, previously having a 600 years ago. My personal goal for last year was to get into the 10's. After 40 passes my best run was 10.863 @ 131.86mph; having knocked off over a second and increasing my trap speed by nearly 5mph.

Regardless of the bike you have you can run. I've seen guys on cruisers, Harley's, dual sports, you name it it's been there!

Do we have any regulars there? Anyone looking to get into it this year? The first few weeks in May when the track opens tend to be a great time to hot lap as most of the car guys don't seem to be out yet.

Here's a quick video I found on youtube from Cayuga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXwUhyGzEg

Hello!

This subsection has been on life support for years! I'm sure we have some amateur and veteran drag racers here whether it be a Friday night "Test" or "Take It To The Track" type; or a full out drag bike setups. I know it's not nearly as popular or well-respected as the 'track day' section/events however I personally love it as it gives me a chance to continually measure myself, make improvements and try to best my previous times while meeting other bike and car owners with similar interests.

I sporadically attend Cayuga (Toronto Motorsports Park) for their Friday night Test and Tune / Take It To The Track events; hoping to get out much more at the start of the season this year. Usually skipping any weekend where they have big races or formal events as Friday nights are just way too busy and you don't get many runs in. I typically also skip the entire month of August just due to how hot the nights are.

I picked up an GSX-R 750 (stock minus exhaust) at the beginning of last year, previously having a 600 years ago. My personal goal for last year was to get into the 10's. After 40 passes my best run was 10.863 @ 131.86mph; having knocked off over a second and increasing my trap speed by nearly 5mph.

Regardless of the bike you have you can run. I've seen guys on cruisers, Harley's, dual sports, you name it it's been there!

Do we have any regulars there? Anyone looking to get into it this year? The first few weeks in May when the track opens tend to be a great time to hot lap as most of the car guys don't seem to be out yet.

Here's a quick video I found on youtube from Cayuga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXwUhyGzEg

That's an impressive time on your 750. Here's my first run on my 09 busa
m.youtube.com/watch?v=

I like the Friday night ... take it to the track and go to the odd test and tune on Sundays.

I have work on my 60ft times, hope to go a lot this season

Last edited:
That's an impressive time on your 750. Here's my first run on my 09 busa
m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Hey Gary, thanks! I had a ton of 11.0x runs and finally managed that on one of the last runs of the season, was very happy. It's neat to see real world the difference between the 750 versus a 600 and 1000. The 600's just don't have that mid to top end on them in comparison. I've been side by side through the traps with guys on the 1000's, always a good feeling.

BTW: It doesn't look like you pasted the whole link to your video, just the youtube part. Try again if you don't mind, I'd love to see it!

I like the Friday night ... take it to the track and go to the odd test and tune on Sundays.

I have work on my 60ft times, hope to go a lot this season

Nice! I'll try to repost closer to opening day and hopefully get more people involved, always nice to have tons of bikes there and race some different guys and girls.

I'm not much of a drag racer, but here in Ottawa Capital City used to run "run what you brung" nights on fridays. $20 for unlimited runs, all funds went to charity.

I was the only bike a few times, but it was fun. I started to bring my buddies out and it turned into a few hours of fun for $20 + a beer at the end of the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4NhEtZPQLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOsWWQE6EEA

Granted it was only 1/8 of a mile...so true 1/4 folks never showed up.

https://i.imgur.com/0vATZUQ.jpg

BTW: It doesn't look like you pasted the whole link to your video, just the youtube part. Try again if you don't mind, I'd love to see it!

I suck at internetting. Apparently, I don't know how to copy and paste from a tablet.
(from my desktop) Hope this works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKwntdrwy4

I'm not much of a drag racer, but here in Ottawa Capital City used to run "run what you brung" nights on fridays. $20 for unlimited runs, all funds went to charity.

I was the only bike a few times, but it was fun. I started to bring my buddies out and it turned into a few hours of fun for $20 + a beer at the end of the night.

Looks like you had a lot of fun!!

Interesting that they let a bike go with a car. I don't think they allow that at Cayuga.

Sounds like the same deal here at Cayuga; think they upped it to $30 past few years. I'm shocked to see a track that looks a little more 'sketchy' in the surroundings than Cayuga does haha. Gary is correct, they don't even let cars vs bikes (I'm glad). Bike typically do get in more runs than the cars due to being positioned to the side of the track.

I feel for you on the 1/8th mile, barely get moving and it's over :(

I suck at internetting. Apparently, I don't know how to copy and paste from a tablet.
(from my desktop) Hope this works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKwntdrwy4

Awesome! Where is the camera mounted? Gas tank? Stem mount? I need to get something rigged up so I can review and see what the hell I'm actually doing after the fact lol. I think I'm just about bouncing off the limiter in 4th in the last 100-200 ft or so.

Hey Gary, what time did your bike run.

Asking the important questions :)

I used a Canon p&s with ram mounts, connected to my garmin stem mount.

I started looking at ram mounts for a camera attachment, thinking how I'd just remove my cell phone mount and place my old P&S camera on there once at the track...and then realized I've already got a recording device mounted (phone), tunnel vision lol ;)

I started looking at ram mounts for a camera attachment, thinking how I'd just remove my cell phone mount and place my old P&S camera on there once at the track...and then realized I've already got a recording device mounted (phone), tunnel vision lol ;)

I was lucky enough to have all I needed except this one
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-366U

edit: i just figured out how to copy & paste a link. Should be a good day :)

Last edited:
Well. It's been 4 years since I've been able to get out and race.
Can't ride yet, so I picked up my new Z06 thursday.
Had it about 24 hours, and took it to the track.
First pass..........I don't want to dicuss..:confused1:
My daughter got the 2nd on video.
I'm the white one, right lane, waiting for dude to burn his tires off in the burnout box....
Hope this link works.
12.51 (7 speed manual)
https://youtu.be/rDYTtlHgmdE

Come back lane,
https://youtu.be/1qvdBq4fIUo

Last edited:
Should have got my 911 to the track today. My last time there I ran 10.68@135.99 with 4-wheel tire spin and 91 octane fuel. I've learned how to launch the car harder since then and I really want to nail a 10.3 or 10.4 with it. The bikes? Heck, race starts are old hat but I should do some practice I guess.

Didn't make it out as much as I wanted this year at all, spring is so quick, summer is too hot to sit in leathers all night, and fall evening temperatures really dipped off all too quickly. As I say every year "I gotta get out there more next year!" lol.

Managed a new best the last time out 10.806 @ 134.66 MPH, have to see what is in store for next year!

Well. It's been 4 years since I've been able to get out and race.
Can't ride yet, so I picked up my new Z06 thursday.
Had it about 24 hours, and took it to the track.
First pass..........I don't want to dicuss..:confused1:
My daughter got the 2nd on video.
I'm the white one, right lane, waiting for dude to burn his tires off in the burnout box....
Hope this link works.
12.51 (7 speed manual)
https://youtu.be/rDYTtlHgmdE

Come back lane,
https://youtu.be/1qvdBq4fIUo

Nice Gary!! Happy to see you're back out there with something fast :) Very nice! Loving the white.

I imagine with a few more runs you can break into the 11's no problem. Seems like there are lots of guys running low low 11's on youtube with stock setups.

P.S. I don't think track abuse is listed in the owners manual under correct break in procedure haha :)

Should have got my 911 to the track today. My last time there I ran 10.68@135.99 with 4-wheel tire spin and 91 octane fuel. I've learned how to launch the car harder since then and I really want to nail a 10.3 or 10.4 with it. The bikes? Heck, race starts are old hat but I should do some practice I guess.

Maybe it was you I previously saw earlier this year, was a 911 coupe, black if I remember, running some impressive times. Car sounds and looks great

Didn't make it out as much as I wanted this year at all, spring is so quick, summer is too hot to sit in leathers all night, and fall evening temperatures really dipped off all too quickly. As I say every year "I gotta get out there more next year!" lol.

Managed a new best the last time out 10.806 @ 134.66 MPH, have to see what is in store for next year!

Nice Gary!! Happy to see you're back out there with something fast :) Very nice! Loving the white.

I imagine with a few more runs you can break into the 11's no problem. Seems like there are lots of guys running low low 11's on youtube with stock setups.

P.S. I don't think track abuse is listed in the owners manual under correct break in procedure haha :)

750?
I love it! That's a very good run Tony! wtg!
Best I ever ran my busa was 10.75. I was 220lbs then. 150 now!! (feeling awesome.....2 major surgeries later) I might buy another one.....just to see the difference?
I need work / help learning to launch the car. Highest hp car I ever owned was a tad short of 400. Relatively easy to launch. This car is 650, and it really is insane.
The youtube guys running 10's (one 9.9) are a/t.
I bought a manual for the fun factor, knowing it wasn't as fast on the straight line.
p.s. If you still need anything we talked about ages ago.....lemme know.

Hello!

Two friends and I attended the Test and Tune evening for the first time and all three of us were getting headshakes/slappers at the exact same spot on the left lane of the track. Never had problems on the right lane. We tried going on a different tire track in the left lane but still had the headshakes. I tried accelerating through the headshake but it made it worse.

Two of us on a 600 and another on a 848 streetfighter. Is it always like that? Or just bad left lane prep for that day?

Two friends and I attended the Test and Tune evening for the first time and all three of us were getting headshakes/slappers at the exact same spot on the left lane of the track. Never had problems on the right lane. We tried going on a different tire track in the left lane but still had the headshakes. I tried accelerating through the headshake but it made it worse.

Two of us on a 600 and another on a 848 streetfighter. Is it always like that? Or just bad left lane prep for that day?

If you have a steering stabilizer, it's probably wind.
If you don't have a stabilizer, and you plan on going to more test and tune (or crazy **** on the hiways / school zones), you might want to consider the investment.

750?
I love it! That's a very good run Tony! wtg!
Best I ever ran my busa was 10.75. I was 220lbs then. 150 now!! (feeling awesome.....2 major surgeries later) I might buy another one.....just to see the difference?
I need work / help learning to launch the car. Highest hp car I ever owned was a tad short of 400. Relatively easy to launch. This car is 650, and it really is insane.
The youtube guys running 10's (one 9.9) are a/t.
I bought a manual for the fun factor, knowing it wasn't as fast on the straight line.
p.s. If you still need anything we talked about ages ago.....lemme know.

Thanks Gary! If I could string everything together (launch, keep the wheel down in 1st, good shifting), I might see a 10.7 or 10.6 if the wind is in my favor lol! Your busa time sounds pretty fair! They've got the power but also something like 150 lbs extra weight to them versus the modern 750/1000

Damn, it sounds like you've been to hell and back again. Happy to hear you are doing better and getting back to things. Definitely don't think you can go wrong with any of the new bikes these days. The last bike I saw you on, I ended up buying one of, so hopefully you buy something cool again when the time is right, perhaps an S1000RR? ;)

Those new Z06 are pretty crazy, they've definitely packed a ton of value into them for the past few years now, lots of power, very light, and seem to be able to put it down decently. I don't have too much help as far as launching the car goes other than to say that the Cayuga track prep is pretty rough most of the time. If you get there at the start, there is lots of VHT/track spray down and you can hook up pretty good, 2 hours later and launches are definitely much more sketchy and will complicate things for you.

Manual is where it's at for a fun car like you have, sad to see so many sports cars going paddle shift, etc.

Thanks again, I appreciate it! Bike was great all summer and learned to just live with the tiny resonating. I'm thinking a dyno tune/map might smooth out the exhaust a bit which is where I think it stems from based on all the looking/tests I did previously that we had discussed, at the end of the day I think it's largely me expecting it to ride like Rolls Royce lol

I think that's just the track from my time there. I get the exact same headshake in the left lane right at the top of 2nd gear quite often, in my case most of the time staying in it is fine and never have felt that it has been 'extreme' thankfully, just a minor shake. I've had a few bad passes where I ended up just coasting down the track and you can visibly see lines in the surface, almost like where it has been repaired (or needs repair) over and over. I don't know much about drag surfaces or if that's normal, just an observation.

The thing that further sells me that it's the track prep/surface condition is just by looking around at the place. The road back after collecting your slip has some insane pot holes in it, the fact they haven't spent the $200 in material and labour to fill the GIANT one as you approach the stands astonishes me. Washrooms being closed for several years, broken floorboards in the stands, etc; wouldn't be surprised if it is sold/closed at some point given the lack of money being invested.

Back
Top Bottom