...are being asked to stay away from terms like Mr., Mrs., father and mother | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

...are being asked to stay away from terms like Mr., Mrs., father and mother

I'm a card carrying PC, I have conservative views by Canadian standards -- on the line between Red and Blue Tory. I'd have trouble deciding between Harper and Creitien or Davis and Peterson. I'd always pick Tory over Miller, Harper over Trudeau, Ford over Wynne.

(Despite my prior post, I am literate and I can spel).
"spel"? Lol.

Moving along... We're a minority here, just in case you haven't seen it yet.

"spel"? Lol.

Moving along... We're a minority here, just in case you haven't seen it yet.
I'm a minority most of the time , my race, my age, and for the last 3 provincial elections my politics - i'm used to it.

In these forums, I'm probably in an age group minority. I have voted in 10 provincial elections. In that time, PCs ruled for 25 years, Liberals for 20, and NDP for 4. In my lifetime:

Years in office:
NDP 4, Liberals 20, PC's 25

Debt by Budget year:
Liberals $211B (67%), NDP $64B (20%), PC $41B (13%)

found a chart that covers my whole life
if I had died a few years ago

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/8ED0ued.png[/img]
Nice Graph.

1943 to 1984: Big Blue Machine, Davis - liberal economists - PC
1985 to 89: Peterson - liberal economists - Liberal
1990 to 1994: Rae - social democrats - NDP
1965 to 1981: Harris* - liberal economists - PC
2003 to 2004: McGinty - liberal economists - Liberal
2005 to 2013: McGinty - social democrats - Liberal
2014 to 2018: Wynne - social democrats - Liberal

* CSR (Common Sense Revolution) included billions of spending stranded by the NDP.

found a chart that covers my whole life
if I had died a few years ago
We are about the same age, have seen the good and bad done by leaders from every party.

The graph shows how well each gov't cares for their fiscal responsibilities. I'd love to see employment and GDP overlayed on this chart.

Nice Graph.

1943 to 1984: Big Blue Machine, Davis - liberal economists - PC
1985 to 89: Peterson - liberal economists - Liberal
1990 to 1994: Rae - social democrats - NDP
1965 to 1981: Harris* - liberal economists - PC
2003 to 2004: McGinty - liberal economists - Liberal
2005 to 2013: McGinty - social democrats - Liberal
2014 to 2018: Wynne - social democrats - Liberal

* CSR (Common Sense Revolution) included billions of spending stranded by the NDP.

It also is highly correlated to interest rate reductions since those times. It's a very clear inverse relationship between the cost of debt and people using it. It's the same as any other product in that regard. It's impossible to borrow a ton if interest rates are high.

Because of that relationship, that debt profile exists across the world, independent of political bent. You name a country, and provided it's not a war torn backwater, I can pretty much guarantee a similar profile.

I know people like to tie this to liberal government, but empirically speaking there are MANY other explanatory factors.

btw... not bashing you for the commentary, just offering my 2 cents on the shape of the curve.

Last edited:
It also is highly correlated to interest rate reductions since those times. It's a very clear inverse relationship between the cost of debt and people using it. It's the same as any other product in that regard. It's impossible to borrow a ton if interest rates are high.

Because of that relationship, that debt profile exists across the world, independent of political bent. You name a country, and provided it's not a war torn backwater, I can pretty much guarantee a similar profile.

I know people like to tie this to liberal government, but empirically speaking there are MANY other explanatory factors.

btw... not bashing you for the commentary, just offering my 2 cents on the shape of the curve.
It is true that borrowing is easier to sell and easier on the economy when interest rates are low. That makes infrastructure investment wise, funding it becomes cheaper and more better infrastructure helps stimulate private sector growth.

Low interest rates are not a good argument for funding deficits caused by the expansion of the public sector and/or social entitlements. These have somewhat opposite effect as you are seeing in Ontario.

Back
Top Bottom