Do you need M or G License for Track Days or Racing? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you need M or G License for Track Days or Racing?

Pantich

I'm planning on doing track days and possibly racing this year but I only have an Ontario G license.

I want to make sure I won't need an M license to do any of these.
Is there any track or racing organization that requires an M?

Thanks

No, some have age restrictions though.

Call and ask beforehand

No, some have age restrictions though.

Call and ask beforehand
Do you mean I'm too old to go on track or should I take that as a compliment? :lmao:

I think I'll be fine from that point of view ;)

He means if you are 15 years old you will need mom or dad to sign a waiver first ;) you're never too old to hurt yourself.

Depending on the race organizer you will either new to prove you are race capable (Racer5 certificate or something similar) most will want you to take their Friday race school (prove to them you are not a liability to yourself or other riders).

Not sure if there is anything stopping you from going to a track day. I'll assume since you are hitting the track that you are not a new rider and are capable of handling your motorcycle.

some organizers have insurance that only allows adults too, parental waiver doesn't help.

Mid Ohio a few years back had it, very disappointed 15 year old that day. Had to be 18+

Last edited:
I'm planning on doing track days and possibly racing this year but I only have an Ontario G license.

I want to make sure I won't need an M license to do any of these.
Is there any track or racing organization that requires an M?

Thanks

You don't need a street license at all.

For racing, you need a license.

There are a few different race organizations that have license days where they teach you the basics of track etiquette, prep, flags and track lines. But from your other posts, you've already done the Racer5 weekend classes, which is a longer detailed version of the race license day class. You just have to apply at Shannonville and send a copy of your Racer5 certificate.
http://www.shannonville.com/index.cfm?action=motorcycle.race

Most orgs honour other orgs licenses.

They should honor your Racer5, but you should also consider doing the org's day long race school. My stepson did Racer5, but we wanted him to learn the specifics of Shannonville.

Couldn't have asked for a better instructor, as Tomas was leading the other 2 school ppl around that day.

Thanks everyone,
yes I did do Racer5 and know I need a race license if I want to race. I just wanted to make sure I don't need to have an M since I'm not sure I want to get one.

Cheers

I got my race licence when I was 12 for regionals. But if I remember properly you needed to have your parents sign off, and they had to be at the track at all times.

Other than that I think the next level was 15, for nationals.

Back
Top Bottom