Anyone wear a Teiz one piece suit? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone wear a Teiz one piece suit?

unL33T

I'm considering a one piece suit by Teiz Motorsports. Anyone have any experience? Thoughts?

Not sure if the Airshell ( http://www.teizms.com/airshell.html ) or Powershell ( http://www.teizms.com/powershell.html ) is more appropriate. It's been getting pretty hot in the summers so I'm leaning towards the Airshell so I don't melt in stop and go traffic like I usually do in the summer heat. They claim the Powershell is good up to 35C but I'm not so sure I trust that number. Probably takes into account actually having some airflow which isn't going to happen in GTA rush hour traffic. I can always add layers to the Airshell if I'm chilly.

Some pics for good measure...
Airshell
slide1.jpg

Powershell
slide1.jpg

Thought I saw a thread about this a few years back but using Google to search this site is giving me nothing. They seem to get decent reviews elsewhere.

I don't have a Teiz, but I do have an Olympia Phantom which is reasonably similar. It has the same zipper layout, so it only takes 10 or 20 seconds to put it on or take it off. I find myself riding a lot more in the spring and fall because it is just so easy to get into it. I do like the leg straps on the Teiz which would help the knee armour stay in place. The Phantom happens to be snug enough on me that the armour doesn't move much, but straps would be even better.

The Phantom is solid, waterproofed textile and has two huge ventilation zips from shoulder to wrist, and 4 more zipped vents on the body. It works extremely well from down to freezing (with an insulating layer) up to about 25 degrees, or somewhat higher if you keep moving. The strength of the Phantom is being able to adjust the vents on the fly as the temp changes. It does have storm flaps to keep rain out of the zippers that I don't really like much, as they are held open with a full length strip of velcro which is pretty much impossible to unfasten while you are riding. The Powershell doesn't appear to be waterproof, but it also doesn't have the huge arm vents of the Phantom so it's hard to tell if it would be better in the heat.

I wish the Teiz site had better closeups of the Airshell material so we could see what the mesh is like. Olympia used to have a mesh version of the Phantom suit called the Avenger that I did not buy. A mesh suit typically has big mesh panels on the arms and chest which can't be closed and are too cool for me in the morning, and solid textile on the thighs and arse which is too hot for me in the afternoons, so it's kind of a compromise that doesn't work as well in reality as I would like.

edit: found some better closeups of the Airshell material here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/teiz-air-shell-review.957136/
I think the solid portions on the chest and lap would be too hot for me for summer afternoons

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The Airshell doesn't actually use mesh as far as I'm aware. It uses perforated Cordura.

I think the front panel is actually still perforated, just with smaller holes. You can see them on the dude's belly in this pic:
qymynyga.jpg

Even in this one you can kind of still see the little holes but they aren't as large as on the rest of the suit:
bejy7apu.jpg

I feel like the perforated material would hold up better than just mesh but I could be wrong.

Oh yeah, you're right, the "solid" portions have tiny little perforations too. And the butt and back of the legs have the big perforations, so that helps a lot if you have an airflow seat cover. It's probably still going to be hot, but it's all relative.

For summer riding I personally wouldn't go with a 1pc.
What would you recommend? I have a pile of riding gear already and nothing is really working well for me. Mostly because it's such a pain to get all my stuff on and off to and from work. This 1 pc is supposed to go on in 30 seconds and work over most clothes so I thought that might work better.

Unless I'm going to wear shorts or something I can't see why a 1 pc would be worse than a 2 pc.

FYI, the Olympia Avenger has been discontinued and Royal Distributing was blowing them out at something like $200 last fall. Their mesh is really not very protective, but they might still have some stock if you want to get a feel for how the zip system works and how warm they get while standing around. The Teiz should be similar in these aspects

I wear a mesh jacket and jeans for summer commuting. I find a 1pc more hassle than a 2pc, be it rain gear or full leathers. I do use a 1pc for the cold and for track or sprited rides, but for cruises and touring prefer 2pc.

The suit looks pretty good....but the pricing jumps from $550 to $950 when you choose the materials. What is it made of if you choose the $550 version?

The suit looks pretty good....but the pricing jumps from $550 to $950 when you choose the materials. What is it made of if you choose the $550 version?
Yeah that was a bit strange to me too.

It's still way cheaper than something like a RoadCrafter or Motoport suit.

Two piece is always better when touring. You can always take your jacket off at restaurants or when you're stopped to cool down.

With a one piece, your top will be hanging around your waist and you'll be walking around with your arms holding the top up so the suit doesn't fall to your ankles.
I'd just pull the whole thing off if I can. I don't want to hang out in any of my gear.

I have a Teiz Lombard V1. Well made suit with lots of armor. Almost too many features. Mine is mesh with no liner. Yes it flows tons of air and is easy as pie to put on. That said I rarely wear it....so will probably be selling it this spring. Size large tall.

Tends to be a pain to take your boots off, strip the suit, re-boot, etc. Even if you don't have to deal with boots, it's more of a bother with the amount of material to hang onto or stuff somewhere vs just a jacket....for me.

The zipper design of these suits lets you put it on or take it off without removing your boots. It's literally a 10 or 20 second process. It is bulky, but I can fold mine into my topcase if I want to pop into a restaurant or a shop.

I have the original Lombard suit. Super easy on/off even with boots on. Just have to be able to bend over and start zipper at the ankle.
It's has lots of vents and channels the air to keep you cool as long as you're moving.
I wore it for 90% of my rides because it's so simple and comfortable. Just step into it, two zippers and you're done and fully armoured. Great for ATGATT.
No perforations b/c I wanted water proof. Mine came with the full liner that I hardly used. I can do a long day ride with 10 degree temperature swing with just the suit. Don't have to mess with extra layers, I just adjust the vents as needed.
I usually take it off as soon as I get off the bike. It's big enough that I just leave it on the bike when I go in for a bite. Can't imagine somebody running off down the street with that tucked under their arm! At work it fits into my locker.
But for all its benefits, I wouldn't wear that to ride into town to hang out. It's only for out-of-town rides or commuting.

Tends to be a pain to take your boots off, strip the suit, re-boot, etc. Even if you don't have to deal with boots, it's more of a bother with the amount of material to hang onto or stuff somewhere vs just a jacket....for me.
Boots don't have to come off and I hate hanging out in riding pants anyway. Maybe all mine are just uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom