Tire Pressure Gauge | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire Pressure Gauge

Are those built in TPMS actually all that accurate? I'd be surprised if they are.

At the very least they give you at least one data point that is entirely independent (and maybe 4, but any systemic error would be in all of them). If your gauge and the TPMS agree, you have some confidence that neither has gone crazy.

Really? It takes ~40 strokes of my shock pump to fill a bicycle shock. It would probably take thousands of strokes to fill a tire. Or are you talking about a bicycle tire pump, just the small ones instead of a floor pump?
Obviously you don't use it to fill a flat tire. It's for accurate readings and small adjustments.

I'm all for manual tasks, but filling a MC or bike tire, I prefer the compressor. I use my bike pump to tweak my bicycle tires, not my car or MC.

Obviously you don't use it to fill a flat tire. It's for accurate readings and small adjustments.

Unless you're changing a tube far from a compressor. Doing the Taiga 2 years ago we repaired a flat in a parking lot, unknowingly nicked the tube and had to do the pump thing again when we made camp that night. Luckily there were 4 of us and we could take turns.

As to gages anyone have one that will bleed air. Those are slick.
U

I picked up this small digital from amazon:
Check this out: AstroAI Digital Tire Air Pressure Gauge 150 PSI 4 Settings for Ca... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01J8DLGU2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_Y4aTAb6HW87WE

small unit, good reviews on amazon. Seems to work well, though I Haven’t benchmarked it against anything. Works well enough for my purposes. $15. I keep mine in my backpack when I ride. Takes up no room at all.

Seems decent for a cheap and cheerful gauge. Rated at 1% which probably means +/- 1.5 psi (assuming they didn't just completely make up specs). I would check it against a few other gauges to make sure I didn't have a turd before I trusted it.

Why are you checking tire pressure before every ride? Seems more than a bit excessive. Are you having issues? I check mine once per month during riding season.

I check 'em each morning of a riding day. Saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

It might be excessive, but it only takes 30 seconds. 95% of the time they are correct, but I like to always know for peace of mind is all.

Yup.

I am looking for the this type of end fitting for one of my gauges and for the life of me I can not find a local store that has them..If anyone knows of a store in the GTA that carries such a fitting, please let me know
MnwMgNT.jpg

oRETQ

Perhaps a commercial tire shop? Or, try a Longacre tire gauge, this fitting is included.

showImage.ashx

This is a basic gauge, simple and accurate. Bleed off excessive pressure at the gauge. No digital nonsense, no batteries, no fuss, no muss. I've been using one at home for twenty five years. I travel with a cheapo pencil gauge.

The Longacre gauge is inexpensive at $26.99USD, but you've got to get it shipped here. Or, it can be had from Bicknell Racing Products in St. Catharines, $34.71CAD, plus shipping, or go for a ride and pick it up yourself.

GP Bikes offers a couple of similar units from Cruz Tools and Oxford, but I don't like them because the gauge itself is upsidedown, makes it a little awkward to use.

pressure_guage.jpg

As to gages anyone have one that will bleed air. Those are slick.

See above. ^^^

I ended up ordering the Cruz Tools one off of Fortnine.ca It seems to do a pretty bang on job and I love the fact that it has a bleeder and holds down the PSI until the air is manually released. Had my vehicle serviced on thursday and checked the tire pressure on it to see how accurate it was. My mechanic checks tire pressure each service. Bang on pressures with it....and I checked about 3 times on the same tire and all pressures were exactly 32 psi.
My friends think I'm a bit anal, but 30 seconds of your time for peace of mind is worth it to me!

I have that compressor. Its ok. The digital read is off by 1-2psi
Thanks. 1-2 psi is not bad. Does it also have a 2 pin wall plug or just a cigarette lighter plug ? I wanted to buy one that I can use on my car and bike both.

I could plug it into my car and then pump my bike, but inconvenient.

Thanks. 1-2 psi is not bad. Does it also have a 2 pin wall plug or just a cigarette lighter plug ? I wanted to buy one that I can use on my car and bike both.

I could plug it into my car and then pump my bike, but inconvenient.
That one is 12v only.

Do you have a garage?

via Tapatalk

That one is 12v only.

Do you have a garage?

via Tapatalk

Thanks. No garage unfortunately. Sucks not having one, especially with a motorcycle.

But I have a big driveway, so I could pull my bike up next to my car and pump it.

OP, Make sure you're not confusing accuracy with precision. I've had several including one like yours that gave consistent readings, but between different gauges, they were different. I never did figure out which one was correct (accurate) but they were all consistent (precise). In my previous life I had to test air systems and we had a tool for calibrating the gauges we used to ensure compliance. I wish I had access to that now.

For a device to be accurate it must be consistent but if a device is consistent it doesn't mean it's accurate. You can adjust for inaccuracy but not inconsistency.

How important is accuracy with tire gauges, torque wrenches or tape measures? I'm willing to bet a lot of vehicles are running around with tires 10% off spec with regards to tire pressure and the drivers haven't a clue.

How critical are torque specs? Would it bother you if that nut was 80 FP instead of 70 or 90?

One percent is pretty good but how about two carpenters cutting 2 X 4 studs and one's tape is a percent high while the other's is one low. There would be an almost 2 inch difference in stud lengths.

Oh and BTW those cheap compressors have a large nylon gear that if not properly made will split and the pump is dead. You will find out at the most inopportune time.

aK6OjZv.jpg

Last edited:
Just be careful with those 90 degree valve stems, i remember one bike might have been a newer GSXR where the caliper was making contact with the valve. Check the ZX6 forum and see what brand those guys have been using, what you are doing right now with bending the valve stem is not a good thing.

Was a GSXR 750.. the valve made contact with his bleeder screw. He lasted about 2 blocks.

OP, Make sure you're not confusing accuracy with precision. I've had several including one like yours that gave consistent readings, but between different gauges, they were different. I never did figure out which one was correct (accurate) but they were all consistent (precise). In my previous life I had to test air systems and we had a tool for calibrating the gauges we used to ensure compliance. I wish I had access to that now.

Good point. I test my air pressure accuracy this way - I compare my gauges against as many others as I can; 6 or 7 at least. Majority psi rules. I own three pencil, and one round with hose and bleed off.

Checking air pressure for each ride is a good thing, cannot understand why anyone would think otherwise.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom