Motorcycle paint job fair cost & recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle paint job fair cost & recommendations

FattBoyy

Hello everyone

What is a fair price for painting a cbr600rr with zero damage on the fairings.. the fairings are off the bike already

I am looking for either a standard clear coat white or a pearl white. Not yet decided

It is currently black

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

My guess 1500 and up

it's all in the prep work.....and material...

the painting is the easy part, and least time consuming

you can do it yourself as well, purchase the paint and clear coat and have at it....CMAX in Brampton can mix any color you want and put into a spray can, and you can get the 2K clear coat from them as well.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/on/brampton/store/1000500

M19yH3q.jpg

Mqmdx1m.jpg

Last edited:
1500? Wow that is way beyond what i woild have guessed. Lets see what others say

$1500 is correct for a decent job.A rattle can job is a waste of time and money if you want it to look good and be durable.

edit: CDN Tire rattle can.

Last edited:
$1500 is correct for a decent job.A rattle can job is a waste of time and money if you want it to look good and be durable.

not if you get the proper stuff....the rattle can paint is the same as what goes into a spray gun, but no need for the air compressor....

again only the rattle can from CMAX......that they fill and make ready for use...

not the crap you get at Canadian Tire...

not if you get the proper stuff....the rattle can paint is the same as what goes into a spray gun, but no need for the air compressor....

again only the rattle can from CMAX......that they fill and make ready for use...

not the crap you get at Canadian Tire...

What is cmax a brand?

CMAX is inside of a Napa store, not all of them, the Brampton store is one of the places that has this additional store, but they supply paints and other items for automotive applications, paint, clear coat, sandpaper, and so on

They mix the paint to spec, and then fill the rattle can on the spot, or you can just by the paint and use your own spray gun....

I do not know the exact brand of paint they use, I don't remember, I am sure it's on the can I had, or you can just call them up to find out, their clear coat is the 2 part so it's tolerant to gas spills, similar to clear coats on bikes and cars.

It's not the same as what a proper bodyshop and painter will do for you, but for the DIY who wants something better than the Cdn Tire stuff, this works well.

https://www.napacanada.com/en/on/brampton/store/1000500

There are other places that do the same, one was around the Lakeshore and Hwy 10 area, I forget the name of that place, but they also were a supplier of paints to the bodyshops, but at the time they could not match the paint color I wanted, so I used the store in Brampton

Last edited:
They mix the paint to spec, and then fill the rattle can on the spot, or you can just by the paint and use your own spray gun.

I would think they really thin out that paint if the only propellant is a rattle can. Not the same or even close to compressed air. Colour maybe the same but coverage won't be.

I would think they really thin out that paint if the only propellant is a rattle can. Not the same or even close to compressed air. Colour maybe the same but coverage won't be.

I had no issue with coverage, or it being thin, if I remember it’s about 25 bucks a can, not cheap, but cheaper than me getting a compressor, spray booth, and so on.

For a non professional like me, it worked out just fine, and covered all that I needed, I think I purchased 3 cans of paint and 2 cans of clear.

Is it the same as a pro job, no, but it also did not cost me 900 bucks as for the last bike I had a pro paint for me.

Last edited:
I've painted with the made to order $20 cans and regular rattle cans. Night and day difference. The $20 can sprays wider, much larger spray, hard to explain but it simply is class up from a regular can in how it sprays and covers. But much of how it turns out depends on how well its done. The most important thing to remember is to always spray in a forward direction as you paint - this insures you don't get overspray on freshly painted areas. make sense?
I call these cans (these are larger volume than expected) "kings of the the rattle can paints" lol. did ok at best... skill is still needed.

edit I used 3 cans to paint a gs500 tank to tail. colour was matched close. no clear used. Very hard to tell it was rattle can...for those who don't paint...

Last edited:
modern automotive paint is measured in microns ( 1/1000th of a millimeter) , the clear coat is thicker than the color coat. a primer layer (sometimes color ed) to about 12-15 microns , the color coat 12-35 microns , clear 35-105 microns. of course you can just use a color layer and more of it, but if the color your looking for has clear, it will need clear to ever match.
A spray can will never match a gun for atomization and the ability to lay down a very smooth finish, by nature they tend to produce a bit of orange peel texture.
If you give the clear on modern paint sufficient time to cure you can also polish to a near perfect finish
But if you have a clean ventilated space, and about $200 for materials, its not that bad

(autobody guy in previous life)

I've painted with the made to order $20 cans and regular rattle cans. Night and day difference. The $20 can sprays wider, much larger spray, hard to explain but it simply is class up from a regular can in how it sprays and covers. But much of how it turns out depends on how well its done. The most important thing to remember is to always spray in a forward direction as you paint - this insures you don't get overspray on freshly painted areas. make sense?
I call these cans (these are larger volume than expected) "kings of the the rattle can paints" lol. did ok at best... skill is still needed.

edit I used 3 cans to paint a gs500 tank to tail. colour was matched close. no clear used. Very hard to tell it was rattle can...for those who don't paint...
When you say forward direction. Do you mean dont go back and forth over the same area?

If you're looking for a perfect pearl white, then might I suggest KKT auto collision in Markham. Check out the google reviews, they speak for themselves. Jack, great guy btw, did two pearl white paint jobs on my car. Absolutely flawless. A bit pricey though. Maybe ask for a quote ?

When you say forward direction. Do you mean dont go back and forth over the same area?

how to explain ..as you spray an area proceed in the direction of the spray while going side to side - so that you never get any spray (over spray) going on the "just painted" surface as you proceed. make sense? maybe someone with more exp could explain it better.

EDIT don't back track .. always proceed forward. better explanation? tank is difficult to do.

Last edited:
Impera auto body in Scarborough

Hello everyone

painting a cbr600rr with zero damage on the fairings..

Take lots of pictures of original fairings. If you need to sell the bike later, you can show that you just wanted to paint it, not because it was damaged.

hold the can at around a 30 degree angle to the surface and sweep like your holding a small broom if that makes sense? never push the button unless the can is moving, you can always add another coat, waiting three days for a complete cure and sanding out runs sucks, be patient.

some colors are hard to spray as you cant see where you just applied paint (white is the worst) , so spray on an even coat giving what you feel is decent coverage and stand back and wait a minute and take a look.

prep is everything , get the surfaces clean and smooth, new paint magnifies sins doesn't cover them.

Please don't paint your fairings, buy yourself a cheap fairing kit with a nice finish and save yourself some money and hassle. Also incase you drop it or decide to sell it you can always swap back to OEM fairings. All kinds of fairing kits for cbr's

Paint quality is mostly the painter, not the paint. A professional painter might moan at the thought of using a rattlecan, they will be able to provide a pro finish. DIY... probably not.

I usually paint my own stuff if it's a basic single or double acrylic. When I need lacquer, pearl, or metallic I prep parts and take them to a body shop. The ones around here (Markham) will paint a prepped tank for $40, and a whole fairing kit for $150 if you bring paint. Ask around, not all shops will do them, smaller body shops will paint anything.

OP, look at it this way. When a shop put a scratch on my rear fender, it was cheaper, ($900), for them to buy a new OEM Fully pre painted fender. Even insurers don't bother repainting parts, it is cheaper to buy a pre painted part. I agree with others, keep the OEM fairings get a cheap set, then you can always swap out for your pristine ones, when selling the bike.

Back
Top Bottom