Yamaha Fz6 won't start | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha Fz6 won't start

Alvito

Hey. My 2004 Yamaha FZ6 didn't start today. Starter motor goes, but does not turn over at all. Tried twisting the throttle a little bit to get it going.

-battery has been on trickle charger during winter (indoors)
-battery has 12.4x volts
-while cranking battery dips to 8.8x volts
-bike in neutral, kickstand up and down

I tried turning the idle control valve up a bit more, it didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

Battery is no good, not enough cranking amps to get it going.....

hook up jumper cables from your car to your bike, DO NOT turn on the car, once hooked up try to start the bike

is it a battery tender, or just a trickle charger ?

probably time for a new battery but you can get it load tested to make sure.

Last edited:
okay, terminology

turning over means when you hit the starter button
the starter engages and makes the engine rotate

12.4 volts is a little low for a battery thats been on charge all winter
would expect to see it a bit higher

voltage will drop during cranking, 8.8 is on the low side

did you put fuel stabilizer in the gas before storage?

today was not very warm, some bikes are hard to start in the cold

charge battery and try again, preferably on a warmer day

if you did not treat the gas, may have some messing around to get it going
warmer temp will be your biggest helper

Assuming the starter solenoid is not clicking, the starter is turning the engine, but it’s not starting...

One thought - If moisture/water did accumulate in the gas or ethanol has seperated and is sitting in the bottom of the tank, shaking side to side to remix might help. Can siphon the gas and add fresh...

Clarify: Is it a "no crank", or is it a "crank but no start". It sounds like it is a "crank but no start".

8.8 volts while cranking may not be enough to operate the ignition (and if applicable, fuel injection) and it may not be spinning the engine fast enough for it to start.

I've seen more batteries killed by being left on a battery tender all winter, than killed by being left alone all winter ... even if it is necessary to use booster cables come springtime to wake them up.

The Shorai lithium battery in my FZR400 has been sitting ignored since October, and today, it spun the (carbureted) engine over vigorously, and after 3 or 4 attempts of 3 or 4 seconds each to get fresh fuel into the system, it started up and I had the first ride of this season on that bike.

The old school bikes have no parasitic load on the battery when switched off, which helps ... not even a digital clock. When the key is off ... it's OFF. Newer stuff isn't like that, and cars are even worse.

Its EFI - can you hear the fuel pump 'ticking' when you turn on the key ?

A fully charged lead acid battery, like the one in your bike, will put out 2.2 volts per cell. A 12v battery has 6 cells so you want 13.2 volts from a fully charged battery that is in PERFECT shape.
Batteries start to wear out as soon as they are made, as they get older, they put out less power. A serviceable battery needs to hold at least 12.7 volts after charge.
When a battery is fully charged it should hold minimum 10 volt for 10 seconds with the largest load it will see, the starter. (Check the voltage across the battery, should be minimum 12.7v, hold the starter on for 10 seconds, battery voltage should not drop below 10 volts. Look at you doing battery load tests)
Never charge a battery at a rate higher than 10% of it's capacity.
The alternator on your car/bike was not meant/designed to charge a dead battery. Bump starts should be a last resort.
When you're boosting batteries don't know or care if the car is running.

I'm going to try starting the bike with jumper cables and my cars battery (while turned off) and see if it starts. I think you all are correct when you say its the battery.

I'd like to do some research on pricing, does anyone recommend any stores that i should call first?? Should I stick with the Yuasa brand?

Can't go wrong with the Yuasa brand, but I've gotten just as good life from Motomaster and lesser brand Korean batt.

Have you tried bump starting it?

Last edited:
Excellent price $112.99 for the YT12B-BS. I believe thats the battery I need. Its weird because some websites only list 2005 fz6's and up.

Snow City quoted me $149.99 for the same battery.

Thanks for the link!

what do mean trickle charger OP?
is it an automatic battery tender type?
or just a charger with low current setting?

before dropping the dough on a battery
find out if the one you have is dead or not
get it on a proper charger then load test it

a cold engine with stale gas is not easy to start
a battery in less than full charge state may not give you the RPM's to get going

boosting is a good idea

Royal distributing sells the ytx12-bs for $119, they also sell an off brand for $65. I have the off brand (crank) in all 3 of my bikes currently with one of them being 3 years old. I have no issues with the Crank batteries.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

112 bucks shipped to his door, no travelling to any store, save time, and fuel, he will get it within a few days..

Kapscomoto has KMG battery for 45 bucks if u want to save, but again u need to go get or pay shipping
Kapsco has free shipping as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with the Yuasa brand, but I've gotten just as good life from Motomaster and lesser brand Korean batt.

Have you tried bump starting it?

I haven't tried bump starting it yet. I've charged the battery over night with my Battery Tender Junior. I disconnected the charger and checked the voltage before I went to work. It was 13.xx. I'm going to check to see if it held throughout the day. I'll do the load test tonight or on the weekend. I tried boosting it with my car battery and it was hard to get my alligator clips on the tiny motorcycle terminals.

what do mean trickle charger OP?
is it an automatic battery tender type?
or just a charger with low current setting?

before dropping the dough on a battery
find out if the one you have is dead or not
get it on a proper charger then load test it

a cold engine with stale gas is not easy to start
a battery in less than full charge state may not give you the RPM's to get going

boosting is a good idea

I am also thinking about siphoning out the gas and putting fresh gas in.

Kapsco has free shipping as well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll check out Kapsco too, if I end up replacing the battery. But I'm not entirely sold that is the problem.

I've never bump started a bike before. To the best of my knowledge you put it in first gear, pull the clutch lever, waddle as fast as your legs can take you then let go of the clutch lever quickly and it should start???

Do i need to open the throttle at all? Any cautions for the beginner bump starter.

Back
Top Bottom