Insurance for someone new to Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for someone new to Canada

getbacktosin

Hi All,

My question in brief: how much will the insurance be for a 31 year old man, who is new to Canada?

I am new to Canada.
I am a 31 year old man.
I am yet to take my M1.
But I have been riding for the past 7 years in India.
When I went for my G1, my Indian license was not considered as it was very damaged and faded.

I want to buy a new KTM Duke 390 in GTA.
But I need help regarding the insurance.
Since my Indian license and previous riding experience will be invalid, can you give me a ballpark figure?

Hi All,

My question in brief: how much will the insurance be for a 31 year old man, who is new to Canada?

I am new to Canada.
I am a 31 year old man.
I am yet to take my M1.
When I went for my G1, my Indian license was not considered as it was very damaged and faded.

Since my Indian license and previous riding experience will be invalid, can you give me a ballpark figure?

If you can get a letter from your previous insurance company from overseas, it *may* help. But it will all boil down to the choice of your bike.

Firstly, I would recommend that you take the M1 Exit riding course offered by various schools like Humber college, RTI, etc. This will not only help you lower your insurance premium, but you will learn something new (no matter how many years of experience you have, you'll be surprised how useful this course is). And it's fun! Also, most insurance companies want this before considering insuring you.

Once you have finished the course, you can start shopping for insurance. For new riders, motorcycles 500cc or under have affordable insurance. Naked bikes are cheaper to insure over Supersports or most bikes with fairings in general. I think KTM 390 is a good choice and should be easy to insure. You will need to call around everywhere and get quotes. If i were to guess, I would say it would be $120-$150 a month. Being 30+ may bring it down a bit more.

I would suggest to call Dalton and Timmis as well as Mitchel and Whale brokers who specialize in motorcycle insurance.

Good luck

Edit: side note, you can take the course as soon as you get your M1 license. M1 is valid for 3 months, and you need to either take the course or take M2 test at the ministry. At the end of the course, which consists of a classroom lesson on a weekday, and two roughly 8 hour riding sessions on the weekend, they will conduct the test. If you pass, they will give you a sealed envelope that you can take to the ministry 2 months from the date you got your M1, and get it converted to an M2.

Last edited:
It'd be best to simply pick up the phone and make some calls, rather than engage in speculation and hearsay on an internet forum.

Using this Online Insurance Quote Tool: https://mitchellwhale.com/motorcycle-insurance/
For Me Where I Live, Just Turned 29 Single Male, Assuming I Get my M1 This Month & M2 in May with M1 Exit Course, $6779 Purchase Price after Tax, 16k Km Ridden Annually, 1M Liability & $500 Deductibles on a 2017 Duke 390 = $132/Mo (1581/Yr) Through Aviva, $143/Mo ($1711/Yr) Through Echelon to $315/Mo ($3785/Yr) Through Intact.

Last edited:
you're going to get wild guesses here on the forum
online quotes will be not much better

best to call or take a meeting with a broker
pinned post at the top of this sub-forum has some suggested brokers

Hi All,

I am new to Canada.
I am a 31 year old man.
I am yet to take my M1.

I have a similar driving history as you (20 years of riding history in India). My insurance would not consider history from India (I dont blame them, the riding/driving scenario is completely different in India).

I did what others had mentioned here-got my M1, took a safety course, and got my M2. Bought an used 250cc cruiser (Kymco Venox) last season and am paying about $50 per month.

Nobody can predict what your insurance rate is going to be- it depends on your zip code, age, bike model, if you are getting multi line discount (home, car) etc.

Call your current insurance provider and ask for estimated quote for your desired bike assuming a hypothetical scenario of you having completed a safety course. Good luck!

I too would suggest calling the places mentioned here as well. Not sure how accurate anyone can be here.

Hi All,

I am new to Canada.
I am a 31 year old man.
I am yet to take my M1.

Indian driving experience is not considered for insurance or licensing, but it will certainly help you riding a bike confidently in GTA.

I work in a bank and my employer has a tie up with thepersonal. (Thepersonal.com)
Its a group insurance company and gave me the best quote. I am paying 45$ per month for ninja 300.
I did my m1 and msf course from learning curves last year and got m2 in December.

I have 10 years of riding experience in India but as someone pointed out riding training course will definitely help you. I learnt and tried skills I had never before.

Indian driving experience is not considered for insurance or licensing, but it will certainly help you riding a bike confidently in GTA.

I work in a bank and my employer has a tie up with thepersonal. (Thepersonal.com)
Its a group insurance company and gave me the best quote. I am paying 45$ per month for ninja 300.
I did my m1 and msf course from learning curves last year and got m2 in December.

I have 10 years of riding experience in India but as someone pointed out riding training course will definitely help you. I learnt and tried skills I had never before.

off topic- It's interesting that we share similar background story...I am with Personal too, and paying about the same for my 250cc.

Where do you usually ride? West/East?

Hi All,

I am new to Canada.
I am a 31 year old man.
I am yet to take my M1.

It's going to depend on several factors:

1) Experience. You have none as from an insurers point of view, time fixes that. Negative experiences on your G can hurt (demerits, multiple HTA tickets etc) as there is no distinction between G&M for driving convictions. You will get a sizable discount if you complete a Rider Training course -- your discount should pay for the cost of the course.
2) Age and marital status. You're not in the most expensive group age wise, if you are married or common-law for 2+ years you will see lower rates than a single man.
3) Bundles. If you have existing home or auto, you can bundle insurance for another discount.
4) Where you live/park. Certain areas are more expensive than others. Brampton and Markham are high because of the local accident rates. Outside the GTA is lowest. Where you store your bike has an impact on the theft coverage rates. Outside and condo undergrounds are highest, private garage lowest.
5) Your choice in bikes. My 25 year old son was quoted $900 on a Duke 390, he paid less than $500 on a Ninja EX250.

There are a few other things like distance ridden, whether you commute daily, past claims, deductibles and coverage levels that also factor in pricing.

All these vary by insurance company, you are best to speak with a broker and be prepared to bundle your existing insurance for the best rates. Make a list of possible bikes to see how they get rated.

Back
Top Bottom