Racer5 anyone?

Thread: Racer5 anyone?

Racer5 anyone?

Is anyone here signed up for racer5? I am going to the June 29th - july 1st class. I will be driving from Windsor...

Thx

Re: Racer5 anyone?

I did the course and an endurance race last year. I've signed up for all of the endurance races this year.
    KDX220, DL650

Yep, I signed up for May 11-13th, with a backup date....which I don't remember, at the January bike show. I haven't heard anything since signing up though. I'm assuming someone will contact me to confirm?
    For those that have taken it, any suggestions or tips? Anything you wish you had known before going?

It is optional, but I'd recommend that you read both Twist of the Wrist books a couple of times before your course. Unlike FAST, Racer5 is almost exclusively guided track time instead of classroom learning. There's only one hour of classroom instruction, and that's on the second day. That's not a bad thing at all, as there is more than enough to absorb on the track. But it would be beneficial to know what a racing line, reference points, the traction circle, and the throttle control rule are before going in so that you understand why they're telling you to do things a certain way.
    KDX220, DL650

Thanks good info. I have read the book and might still have it in storage...

Lucky for me I have actually done CSBS first 2 levels at streets of willow then the 2nd 2 levels at Miller motorsports park. That was some 12 years ago though so now doing this school...

I've done both FAST and racer5. We've been to many of Fawaz's events, they are all well run. Both courses are excellent in their own way. racer5 is slightly better value IMO and Fawaz is a stand up guy. I would recommend it for every rider, new or old, fast or slow. Even if you have no plans on trackday/racing. You will have many bikes through your life, but skill you will keep forever.

For anyone taking the course, starting on small bikes is a good thing. It forces you to be smooth. You cannot make up for mistakes by just being a bit more aggressive on the throttle. We see this often at the track. A new rider on a 600 missing the markers and ham fisting the throttle where aggression results in moderate laptimes, only to setup for a crash later on.

One of the things I like most about racer5 is there is lots of track time (twice as much as FAST).

Don't worry about the speed too much, focus on lines, markers and smoothness. Remember, you are there to learn not to strut your ego. Be a sponge, listen to what the instructors are saying. Try to break bad habits e.g. never look behind you.

After the course, I hope to see some of you at out at trackdays, if you don't already take part. They are a ton of fun and everyone is there for that reason. There is always someone faster than you, and that's ok. In the end its all about just having fun
    Don't be a road crayon. Pavement does not care how cool you think you look in a t-shirt and shorts

Yes I cannot wait!

I'm using it to become an all around better rider. I took superbike school another school in wa st and several track days. I swear even just a single track day felt like a full season of riding on the street.

I imagine I'll take the more advanced classes as well and maybe even fast. I don't ride like a fool on the public roads so this gives me a chance to let loose lol.

Hope to meet some riders before during and after...

Thx for the posts

Quote Originally Posted by smergy View Post
    I've done both FAST and racer5. We've been to many of Fawaz's events, they are all well run. Both courses are excellent in their own way. racer5 is slightly better value IMO and Fawaz is a stand up guy. I would recommend it for every rider, new or old, fast or slow. Even if you have no plans on trackday/racing. You will have many bikes through your life, but skill you will keep forever.

For anyone taking the course, starting on small bikes is a good thing. It forces you to be smooth. You cannot make up for mistakes by just being a bit more aggressive on the throttle. We see this often at the track. A new rider on a 600 missing the markers and ham fisting the throttle where aggression results in moderate laptimes, only to setup for a crash later on.

One of the things I like most about racer5 is there is lots of track time (twice as much as FAST).

Don't worry about the speed too much, focus on lines, markers and smoothness. Remember, you are there to learn not to strut your ego. Be a sponge, listen to what the instructors are saying. Try to break bad habits e.g. never look behind you.

After the course, I hope to see some of you at out at trackdays, if you don't already take part. They are a ton of fun and everyone is there for that reason. There is always someone faster than you, and that's ok. In the end its all about just having fun
    I did the Racer5 Intro Course twice, few years ago and again last year and loved it both times. It's impressive how much you can learn on these 125cc.

I agree with smergy. Also it's important that you listen to their advice, for instance if you feel fatigued it's ok to skip a session. When you're tired you won't learn anything and risk to fall and hurt yourself.

-Keep an open mind and leave you ego at home.
    -Eat light, ealthy meals, maybe snack bit here and there otherwise you'l get foggy and won't be able to ride well.
    -Drink lots of water.
    -Make sure to sleep enough the night before.
    -Have fun!

The best thing about Racer5 is that they take care of everything so you can focus on learning.
    Using Tapatalk

I've just signed up for May 11-13. It will be my first time on track on a motorcycle. I've done a bunch of race karting in the past but never anything on two wheels. I met Fawaz towards the end of last year when I had some suspension work done on the bike and he had mentioned the program to me. After reading a bunch of threads on it on here, I decided I should just go for it. Can't wait now!

Thanks for the feedback and all the good advice above as well!
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Sixty2
    2018 Suzuki GSX-S750

Hopefully winter will be over by then lol

Quote Originally Posted by bastak View Post
    I've just signed up for May 11-13. It will be my first time on track on a motorcycle. I've done a bunch of race karting in the past but never anything on two wheels. I met Fawaz towards the end of last year when I had some suspension work done on the bike and he had mentioned the program to me. After reading a bunch of threads on it on here, I decided I should just go for it. Can't wait now!

Thanks for the feedback and all the good advice above as well!
    Nice, I'll be there with you! See you in a few weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    Nice, I'll be there with you! See you in a few weeks!
    Awesome. I'll see you there. I did also ask them if they were going to send us an info package or more details closer to the date so I'll keep you in the loop once I hear back.
    2018 Suzuki GSX-S750

Quote Originally Posted by bastak View Post
    Awesome. I'll see you there. I did also ask them if they were going to send us an info package or more details closer to the date so I'll keep you in the loop once I hear back.
    Weird....I got an email from them a few weeks ago with the itinerary for the weekend and a few tips as well. Also got a follow up phone call about a week after the email. If you haven't got it, maybe call them?....

Quote Originally Posted by Katatonic View Post
    Weird....I got an email from them a few weeks ago with the itinerary for the weekend and a few tips as well. Also got a follow up phone call about a week after the email. If you haven't got it, maybe call them?....
    Ah ok great! I only just signed up this weekend, so I suppose I'll be getting all that during the week then.
    2018 Suzuki GSX-S750

Make sure to post up info when finished...

Quote Originally Posted by perferd View Post
    Make sure to post up info when finished...
    Will do!
    2018 Suzuki GSX-S750