Post your cocktails and wines! | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post your cocktails and wines!

Re: Post your cocktails!

I found a red wine I like, so I've had a bit of that instead.

I found a red wine I like, so I've had a bit of that instead.

Which one?

I like a nice glass of wine every now and then. Keep my budget around $20. Current favourite is Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel from California. There’s a few different brands of this but they’ve all been really tasty. Ravenswood do a good one.

Hope you all are enjoying this weekend :).

salad in a glass!
yum

Another great mojito here. I'm using my previously posted recipe and it's very photogenic and enjoyable.
attachment.php

Cheers

Last edited:

Which one? I like a nice glass of wine every now and then. Keep my budget around $20. Current favourite is Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel from California. There’s a few different brands of this but they’ve all been really tasty. Ravenswood do a good one.
Sorry, for taking so long: This one.
6yWXdqmm.jpg

The problem with wine is that everyone's taste is different,
so what one person likes doesn't equate to everyone liking it.
It's best to try a bunch of different ones, and then stick with the ones you like.

6yWXdqmm.jpg

It's best to try a bunch of different ones, and then stick with the ones you like.

I've had that one. It’s good!

6yWXdqmm.jpg

with about 2-3million different ones around the world its best to try a bunch, then try a bunch more, then maybe try a few hundred more.

All discussion is welcome so we may as well consider this the wine and cocktail thread. I'll see if I can get the thread title changed.

Here's a nice red wine from ON for a scratch garden pasta meal I posted in another thread. I've been buying this variety and from this winery for a long time now. It's very nice.
https://www.vivino.com/henry-of-pelham-old-vines-baco-noir/w/4895905?year=2016

attachment.php

All discussion is welcome so we may as well consider this the wine and cocktail thread. I'll see if I can get the thread title changed.

Here's a nice red wine from ON for a scratch garden pasta meal I posted in another thread. I've been buying this variety and from this winery for a long time now. It's very nice.
https://www.vivino.com/henry-of-pelham-old-vines-baco-noir/w/4895905?year=2016

attachment.php

Not a bad place to stop on the way home after a ride and bring a couple of bottles home for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might be an unpopular post but Ontario has no business making red wines unless they are watery medium bodied things. I’ve not found a single one that I’d ever bother buying again. The whites aren’t too bad unless you like Chardonnay...in which case those aren’t good either. I can’t fathom why they charge so much either. I’m all for supporting local but if you’re asking me to pay $20+ for gutrot vs a semi decent Californian/Australian/French/Chilean red then there’s no contest.

Also...it’s the climate. It’s reasonable for German style white wines but for wines that need the sun and a long warm season it’s not.

With the fresh garden mint I've been able to get, I've been using it in meals and everywhere I can. Instead of another mojito cocktail, I riffed and went with a gin, tonic and mint cocktail.

It's the first time I've done this combination. I was worried the gin would overpower the mint so I used premium Fever Tree Premium Indian Tonic Water. It's a great cocktail. It's also the first time I've used the Fever Tree Premium Indian tonic water. Very nice stuff.
attachment.php

I had a Californian Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel. $17 and makes most reds from Canada at that price point seem amateurish, spend a little more and there’s a reserve version of the wine that is just brilliant for around $20ish. Fantastic value from some of these wines.

This might be an unpopular post but Ontario has no business making red wines unless they are watery medium bodied things. I’ve not found a single one that I’d ever bother buying again. The whites aren’t too bad unless you like Chardonnay...in which case those aren’t good either. I can’t fathom why they charge so much either. I’m all for supporting local but if you’re asking me to pay $20+ for gutrot vs a semi decent Californian/Australian/French/Chilean red then there’s no contest.

its the climate, full body reds need time in the sun (neither of which we have) to develop so I wouldn't look for any full body wines from here (red or white), thry some of the med body stuff like Cab Franc, Pinot Noir and Gamay Noir if you are looking for an Ontario red

6yWXdqmm.jpg

that's the opposite of what you should do. Try as much of it as possible and as your palate develops revisit wines that you've tried in the past and didn't like, chances are you will feel different about them after a while, i've also gone back to wines that I liked when I first got into wine and found them undrinkable (mostly because they were too sweet)

Last edited:

that's the opposite of what you should do. Try as much of it as possible and as your palate develops revisit wines that you've tried in the past and didn't like, chances are you will feel different about them after a while, i've also gone back to wines that I liked when I first got into wine and found them undrinkable (mostly because they were too sweet)
I disagree. When I was young I tried many different things to see if I liked them better than those I already knew. Now that I'm old, I'm content to sit back and reap the benefits of knowing what I like.

its the climate, full body reds need time in the sun (neither of which we have) to develop so I wouldn't look for any full body wines from here (red or white), thry some of the med body stuff like Cab Franc, Pinot Noir and Gamay Noir if you are looking for an Ontario red

Pinot noirs aren’t great either. Some Prince Edward county places were selling “rare vintages” for megabucks last season. I paid quite a bit to try one. It tasted like plonk and was really very bad. Some Quebec guy bought several bottles of it for no reason I could fathom. Closest place with a similar climate I can think of is Alsace and they have 1 watery red and the rest are rieslings, gewurtzstraminer, Pinot Gris etc. Basically dryish or sometimes semi sweet German style whites. Those aren’t so bad here in Ontario but they aren’t my favourites. Like I said, there’s some amazing stuff from elsewhere for $20ish these days. The Californian wine we get here is really pretty good value even with some recent price hikes.

Back
Top Bottom