Does Being Naked Save you Money? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Does Being Naked Save you Money?

RacerX

Are naked bikes worth going for compared to their faired counterparts for the insurance difference.
Would an S1000R be that much cheaper to insure for example? Would appreciate any feedback into this matter as I would prefer a faired later bike but wouldn't mind a street fighter or the like for a year or so to limit insurance payments.

For most companies yes, but of course check in your case. My favorite example is the place I am with will not touch a Hayabusa but they will insure a B-King dirt cheap...

I wasn't able to get insurance on a super sport but was able to get insurance on naked with same cc engine. Keep in mind the naked had different performance characteristics than the super sport - but it's still enough of a bike to put a smile on my face :)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

For most companies yes, but of course check in your case. My favorite example is the place I am with will not touch a Hayabusa but they will insure a B-King dirt cheap...

Right there......I think it'll be a naked 1000 for the street and a superbike for the track.

I wasn't able to get insurance on a super sport but was able to get insurance on naked with same cc engine. Keep in mind the naked had different performance characteristics than the super sport - but it's still enough of a bike to put a smile on my face :)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Yes of course, I wouldn't expect a Z1000 to corner like a ZX10 but yeah that's exactly what I'm going for!

A significant number of riders that I know have switched over to nakeds and sport tourers within last few years.
Aside from differences in power delivery, generally the biggest downside is weaker suspension, atrocious in some cases even.
With that said the MSRP tends to be much lower and suspension upgrades are fairly easy to execute.

My premiums for SS are about 20-30% higher than for non-SS (for similar cc). Depends on a lot of factors though. For many people it's double.

Same thing for me. When I bought my Ninja 1000 in 2011, my insurance company first quoted me on a Z1000 because they could not find the N1K on their tables. The Z1000 was less than $100 more than the V-Strom 650 I had at the time. When I gave them the VIN for the N1K, she said "I don't know anything about motorcycles, but that's a supersport and we don't insure supersports". I said "you are right, you don't know anything about motorcycles". It took a week of negotiating for them to make a "special exception" and give me the same rate they quoted for the Z1000. Pretty sure the exception was because they figured they'd loose the rest of our business if they didn't cover the N1K.

Misleading title. I came in here with totally different expectations.

Try the Romper Room. Plenty of registered members to interact with.

Do the nakeds typically have the same frame as the ss versions? Like can you take a Z1000 and easily put a ZX10r fairing kit on it?

I mean, if so, one could get the Z1000 ABS for exactly $6k less than the ZX10R ABS and spend the difference on a full carbon fairing kit and a couple other upgrades.

Last edited:
Do the nakeds typically have the same frame as the ss versions? Like can you take a Z1000 and easily put a ZX10r fairing kit on it?

Z1000 has the same frame, motor and swing arm as a Ninja 1000/Z1000SX (in Europe), not a ZX10R. Rear subframe pan is different. Not sure if they kept the actual mount points on the frame so I'm not sure about adding fairings to a Z1000.

Anything is possible, adding a ful fairing to a naked would be expensive and take a lots of time scrounging and or fabbing all the little parts needed. A Chinese fairing kit with lights will runs $1000+, then you a box if stays, brackets, fasteners. If you had a complete parts bike it might be doable.

I mean, if so, one could get the Z1000 ABS for exactly $6k less than the ZX10R ABS and spend the difference on a full carbon fairing kit and a couple other upgrades.

It's hit and miss.

Right there......I think it'll be a naked 1000 for the street and a superbike for the track.

Yes of course, I wouldn't expect a Z1000 to corner like a ZX10 but yeah that's exactly what I'm going for!

Nakeds are typically more torque happy and that's what you want for the street anyways. You'll keep up just fine with the big boyz on the SS.

Ask Thong man next time you're at Friday the thirteenth.

I think being naked would end up costing me money. Tried it today at the office, had to turn the heat up 3 degrees.

You weren't thinking of riding your S1000RR naked were you? You just recovered from that nasty bout of flu, I'd stay away from anything naked if I were you........for now.

I think being naked would end up costing me money. Tried it today at the office, had to turn the heat up 3 degrees.

But you wouldn't need to spend money on clothes or laundry detergent.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Can someone shed light on insurance and track mishaps.......how does it work?

A Tuono is cheaper to insure than an RSV4 so there's that. And while it gives up 25HP to the RSV it's got ~77cc more displacement. Insurance companies clearly see nakeds in a different light than supersports.

You weren't thinking of riding your S1000RR naked were you? You just recovered from that nasty bout of flu, I'd stay away from anything naked if I were you........for now.

But you wouldn't need to spend money on clothes or laundry detergent.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Can someone shed light on insurance and track mishaps.......how does it work?
Insurance and track don't belong in the same sentence. Afaik, you can only get fire and theft on a track bike. There is no collision coverage on the track.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom