DAINESE - FortNine or Direct? | GTAMotorcycle.com

DAINESE - FortNine or Direct?

Fr0stByte24

I'm looking to buy some Dainese Carbon D1 Long Gloves and found them on two websites being sold for drastically different prices, could someone tell me why? I always buy from FortNine, but this seems like too good of a deal to pass on.

FortNine.com - $229.95 CAD (Free Shipping)
Dainese.com - $179.95 CAD (Free Shipping - DHL Express)

Am I just going to be charged a duty of what would be the savings of $50 if I buy from Dainese direct? Anyone ever buy from Dainese directly? What was your experience?

Another option is to what price Riders Choice is selling those gloves for .

GP Bikes have them for $229.95 . They have a coupon code for 15% off in store only that expires today (inside back page of their catalogue). Code is 2018CAT2 and is in store only.

Am I just going to be charged a duty of what would be the savings of $50 if I buy from Dainese direct? Anyone ever buy from Dainese directly?

Most likely, yes. Especially since they are using a courier, which charges you a brokerage fee on top of the duty.

It might be worth it if they offered delivery via standard postal service, but that courier brokerage fee will erase any savings by buying direct from Italy.

Last edited:
If Riders choice has them they can price match FortNine, I do it all the time with them from everything to chains, gloves and helmets. Sometimes if you pay cash or debit they give another 5% off

With DHL you'll most likely be paying duties, overtime I order stuff overseas and they deliver I end up with some fees and charges to pay extra, even above Duty for DHL's effort negating any savings.

Last edited:
Import with DHL multiple times a month. No import fees, only taxes.

Check your invoice. It's embedded in there as per: http://international.dhl.ca/en/express/customs_support/brokerage_infomation.html

Here's one of my latest DHL invoices, the brokerage fee is highlighted:

6p2ahd.jpg

Admittedly, it's not as much as I thought it was. UPS and FedEx have much higher brokerage charges.

In this case, OP might come out ahead by about $12 if he orders from Italy. That's barring any other charges that might crop up.

For that amount, I'd buy local, because the last time I had a bear trying to return a defective part to Europe and then trying to claim back the duty from CRA and be reimbursed the brokerage fees on top of losing out on foreign exchange on the credit card reimbursement....

Plus the whole process took 6 months for me to finally get the part.

Buy local.

Check your invoice. It's embedded in there as per: http://international.dhl.ca/en/express/customs_support/brokerage_infomation.html

Here's one of my latest DHL invoices, the brokerage fee is highlighted:

6p2ahd.jpg

Admittedly, it's not as much as I thought it was. UPS and FedEx have much higher brokerage charges.

In this case, OP might come out ahead by about $12 if he orders from Italy. That's barring any other charges that might crop up.

For that amount, I'd buy local, because the last time I had a bear trying to return a defective part to Europe and then trying to claim back the duty from CRA and be reimbursed the brokerage fees on top of losing out on foreign exchange on the credit card reimbursement....

Plus the whole process took 6 months for me to finally get the part.

Buy local.
I'll probably forget to look by the time I have a chance, but as you said it's always very minimal. I don't think it's ever been more than Canada Post would have charged me. Whereas UPS has been known to do $40 on that same transaction

$219 at baysideperformance.ca the store is located in B.C.

https://www.baysideperformance.ca/i...ainese d1 gloves&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=2

GPbikes has discount codes, sales/ promotion and no tax days so it's a good deal but $50.00 is $50.00

Also check chromeburner.com based in the neatherland $193.00 (tax included, double check though) for the gloves. click CAD english in the top left corner. and don't forget there is a discount code. i bought something from there and tax was included
https://ca.chromeburner.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=dainese+d1+gloves

$219 at baysideperformance.ca the store is located in B.C.

https://www.baysideperformance.ca/i...ainese d1 gloves&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=2

GPbikes has discount codes, sales/ promotion and no tax days so it's a good deal but $50.00 is $50.00

Also check chromeburner.com based in the neatherland $193.00 (tax included, double check though) for the gloves. click CAD english in the top left corner. and don't forget there is a discount code. i bought something from there and tax was included
https://ca.chromeburner.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=dainese+d1+gloves

I think you have to pay shipping from Chromeburner unless you are spending more than that...like $400 or more. Having said that they are great to deal with. But just call local and see what they can do.

Yea looks like I'll just buy local, the stress if I need to return it isn't worth the $50 to me.

Here’s another option to buy at GP Bikes if you couldn’t get there today and take advantage of the 15% off code.

This is their ONLINE discount code for 10% off any single item: 2018CAT1

Valid to December 30th

That would bring the cost down to $200 + tax and free shipping.

Here’s another option to buy at GP Bikes if you couldn’t get there today and take advantage of the 15% off code.

Valid to December 30th

GP Bikes said this discount doesn't apply to Dainese products. :( oh well.. thank you though!

Just call and ask! I got discounts on Dainese just by asking. WHen you get on the phone say the words...could you ask your manager if I can get X discount. (15% off) My buddy got it at the show." That takes the option of saying no out of the hands of the guy who answer the phone. They've been happy to give me deals on Dainese before. Just ask.

Yea looks like I'll just buy local, the stress if I need to return it isn't worth the $50 to me.

We sometimes forget now nice it is to have some place local, where we can try stuff on and really see new items, like GP Bikes and Riders Choice...
It's much harder for these places to compete with online sellers. The expenses like rent, heat, hydro, employees plus everything else can take it's toll.
Look at Kahuna Powersports, Brampton Powersports, both gone. They say in 10 years we will be left with mostly Amazon and Walmart for retail.
In 10 years if you want a new CBR, you order it from direct from Honda. If you want a new Camaro, you order it from direct from GM.
I'm old fashion, I want to go to a bike shop and look at new bikes, sit on new bikes.

Valid to December 30th

Is it possible to get the price adjusted after a purchase ? I purchased a jacket in-store. Could've used 10% off.

Suggest you call the store. I don’t work for them. Just trying to help fellow GTAM members save a buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom