Your First Ride of 2018 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Your First Ride of 2018

Fr0stByte24

When are you planning to start your riding season? If you already started, I would love to hear how that first ride went!

7MDOG.gif

Went out a few days in late Feb on the Fazer. It was chilly but otherwise fine. It's cool how quickly the muscle-memory comes back after months off the bike.

Been out 3 times on my new 250 in the last month and once on my Ossa.

heated grips, hand deflectors and dual height windscreen. i has to be pretty chilly before I'm not ok, not good, but ok

What about the "S" word? I think I'm going to hold off until April, maybe last week of March so the salt can be washed away with a good rainstorm. :(

Here we go again :p

Queue Pilot and MacDoc in 3..2..

I've been out for either a commute or quick romp as long as its 4+ out. Didn't even put the bike 'away' until almost mid December.

Out a few times. Did a loop from Markham to Whitby-Port Perry-Keswick and back. Roads were a bit dirty in Easy Gwillumbury, but nice thru Markham, Durham, and Scugog. One of my bikes got excited by the warm weather, she took me for a nice romp between Port Perry and Uxbridge - the feeling of white knuckles was nice after a long winter.

Been out 3 times on my new 250 in the last month and once on my Ossa.
I've always had a small displacement bike in my garage, the spot is open right now and I'm struggling to decide whether a small adv bike will work for me. My primary needs are around town, so anything from a Virago 250 to a Ninja 300 will do. I'd like to try a small ADV bike, but I'm not sure how they will handle doing 6-7 hour days at 300-500km/day. I know I'm not keeping up with STs, I'm happy if I can run with a KLR. If not, I'll stick to a small urban bike and look for a bigger ADV.

Are you comfortable running your CRF for 6 hours & 300KM a few days at a time? I'm zeroing in on the CRF 250, Versys 300, and BMW 310GS -- I need to convince myself I'll be comfortable.

I plan on my first ride being on Friday when the the f4 I am buying is delivered to my house...

-1 in the city, you`re brave.

Sat/Sun looks sweet!

I've always had a small displacement bike in my garage, the spot is open right now and I'm struggling to decide whether a small adv bike will work for me. My primary needs are around town, so anything from a Virago 250 to a Ninja 300 will do. I'd like to try a small ADV bike, but I'm not sure how they will handle doing 6-7 hour days at 300-500km/day. I know I'm not keeping up with STs, I'm happy if I can run with a KLR. If not, I'll stick to a small urban bike and look for a bigger ADV.

Are you comfortable running your CRF for 6 hours & 300KM a few days at a time? I'm zeroing in on the CRF 250, Versys 300, and BMW 310GS -- I need to convince myself I'll be comfortable.

How about a Duke 390?

It's a test ride to run through the gears and what not. I won't be out long but I need to make sure she runs good...

Cold tires and cold tar = no bueno. Take it easy :)

Many of us haven't really stopped riding. Rode trikes and my street bike in Jan, Feb and March. Overall consistently I will start riding by the end of March.

I'm a bit spoiled by the big bikes i have had in the past (esp the wing).I think my CRF250 Rally is really better suited to not much more than 80kph for any extended time.No doubt that the honda powerplant will run forever at high rpm,but it would not be much fun for 6 hours.But i'm not getting any younger either at 65.

Many of us haven't really stopped riding. Rode trikes and my street bike in Jan, Feb and March. Overall consistently I will start riding by the end of March.

Have not seen an FZ9 on the street since i started riding. Perhaps only 2 at a meetup.

I keep hearing we are everywhere but i think it's a myth.

3 or 4 weeks ago when it was raining, but the temp was up, I went to my storage garage to check on the tender and air up my tires. Once the tires were topped off I decided to make sure my jacket still fit. lol that ended up in a very damp ride, and like Blackfin said, it was awesome how quickly the muscle memory kicked in. It was like I never parked it. The next sunny day I took her to the coin wash and shined her up and had her back home for about a week. Then we were threatened with a foot of snow, so I took her back to the garage.

I went out on snake road out to waterdown, but it had some wet areas that threatened to turn to black ice when the sun went down, so I had to take it easy. I'm probably not going to be grinding my pegs in earnest until around May, but I'm hoping to get back to regular riding by early-mid next month.

I went out the last 2 days of Feb when we had that warm up.
First day was just to shake off the rust and see how it went. Just puttering around the neighbourhood.
Second day straight north over to Stouffville, Uxbridge, Port Perrty, then down to Oshawa, then back west.

This week coming up there should be a good day to get out.

Last edited:
80kmh won't cut it. The 300s have no trouble holding 120, I've done that for hours on Virago 250 and a Ninja 250.

I have a few big bikes that are great for touring, but I'm getting older too and prefer something smaller my daily commute of 15 km through city traffic. I want to try a little backroads stuff so one of my bikes has to be ADV class, not ready to do that with my big bikes.

Back
Top Bottom