Subtle release of the throttle, bike suddenly goes to engine breaking mode | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Subtle release of the throttle, bike suddenly goes to engine breaking mode

Funny..

Simple stuff first:
1. Regular maintenance? Was the 21K-ish service completed? Plugs, air filter, coolant... How many total kilometers on the bike?
2. Have you made any changes to the bike? Air box mods, slip-on, air filter changes, electrical accessories...
3. Tires, brakes, chain and sprocket condition.
4. Once you are certain it is not something simple, then you can move on to the more complicated electrical problems.

Don't throw parts at the problem, find the issue and fix it.

Thanks, I service regularly. No mods. It has about 24k. I had the sprockets and chain replaced around 22k. Brake and Hydraulic fluids were replaced as well. I replaced old brake lines. Other than that, the bike is stock.

Last edited:
TPS issues are endemic with Suzuki GSXRs. I know yours isn't a GSXR but it probably uses the same parts.

Are there any other symptoms of note? Roughness, stumbling, hesitation? Gas mileage? Super black inside of the exhaust system? Really black spark plugs? Or the opposite ... really white spark plugs with almost no deposits on them? (the insulator should be a light tan colour)

It is entirely possible that the TPS reads correctly (or close enough) through most of its stroke but only gives a signal that is out of whack far enough to cause issues, when the throttle is almost closed. If the "zero" on the TPS doesn't correspond with "actual zero" this is what will happen. This won't trip a fault code ... the sensor isn't off by enough for the computer to realize that there's a problem. It just thinks you've shut the throttle when in reality you haven't quite. Or it thinks that you haven't quite shut the throttle when you actually have.

3 months later...

I purchased a TPS online months ago. As life would have it, I got busy and couldn't find time if i tried. Anyway, i found time today. After replacing the TPS, I went out for a long, long ride and never encountered the problem once. It was so enjoyable, I almost forgot where I lived (almost).��

Anyway, thanks all for your input!

Cheers,
B

Back
Top Bottom