Harsher distracted driving penalties = Safer summer? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Harsher distracted driving penalties = Safer summer?

Penalties mean f-all if there's no enforcement. Enforcement is still focused on speeding because that's the easiest thing to prove in court. People abruptly changing lanes with no signalling or running red lights are of little concern to police as well (a big concern to us though).

As mentioned before, playing with your cellphone is being replaced with playing with your giant, built-in, touch display in the car. It's been already proven that talking on the cellphone while holding it in your hand (to your ear or on speakerphone) has about zero negative consequences. Taking your eyes off the road is what does it. There have always been distracted driving laws (for people doing their make-up or preparing their meals while driving) - they are extremely difficult to enforce.

Also, if drivers are to be fined, pedestrians should be fined as well.

I think overall we should start with basics. Training is inadequate, licensing is a joke (as in write a little test, jump on a fastest bike you can get and legally cause havoc on the streets), road etiquette is almost non-existent. There are vehicles out there like e-bikes that get away with "murder," cyclists seem not to follow any rules whatsoever either, etc.

^^ This. Amen.

Maybe a short range jammer, that switched on when the vehicle shifts out of park or neutral?

interesting idea
but would increase the zombie time

staring at phone in disgust
as the twitter feed is buffering forever

Penalties mean f-all if there's no enforcement. Enforcement is still focused on speeding because that's the easiest thing to prove in court. People abruptly changing lanes with no signalling or running red lights are of little concern to police as well (a big concern to us though).

As mentioned before, playing with your cellphone is being replaced with playing with your giant, built-in, touch display in the car. It's been already proven that talking on the cellphone while holding it in your hand (to your ear or on speakerphone) has about zero negative consequences. Taking your eyes off the road is what does it. There have always been distracted driving laws (for people doing their make-up or preparing their meals while driving) - they are extremely difficult to enforce.

I think overall we should start with basics. Training is inadequate, licensing is a joke (as in write a little test, jump on a fastest bike you can get and legally cause havoc on the streets), road etiquette is almost non-existent. There are vehicles out there like e-bikes that get away with "murder," cyclists seem not to follow any rules whatsoever either, etc.
Driving isnt considered a privilege anymore.... That's where the root of the problem lies

Imagine this -- distracted drivers and zombie walkers get sentenced to using an interlock app. The app locks the phone when the GPS detects the phone to be moving.

Pretty much it.

Don't speed or DUI and stop for some of the red lights and you'll likely never get a ticket. Therefore the average driver doesn't have to think beyond those three laws.

Pull over to text isn't a good idea on a highway. You could get rammed by someone else texting while driving. You should be in a valid parking spot.

Education also has to go out to the senders of texts. I give one person I deal with a text saying "I'm on my way". They know I'm driving but instead of calling me, I have bluetooth, they text me to pick up something or adjust. I could have answered the phone.

Now let's talk about why the only way cell phone usage won't go away. IT MAKES TOO MUCH MONEY.

Sales and service reps make too much money by being able to wheel and deal any where, anytime.

With the company I was working for around the time cell phones were coming out we worked four days a week on the road and one in the office. The office day was so clients could actually call us back at a fixed location.

When we got cell phone we were on the road five days a week. 25% more sales time.

I like what they do on the us routes. Signposts for “text stops” and a lot of other signage about how you’ll lose you licence if you’re driving distracted.

Maybe we amend it as "DUIP" and call it a day?

Imagine this -- distracted drivers and zombie walkers get sentenced to using an interlock app. The app locks the phone when the GPS detects the phone to be moving.

Why not just ban them from having a mobile phone for a year.

Why not just ban them from having a mobile phone for a year.

I said it before and I'll say it again;

Phone should be confiscated at road side. You have to visit the police station to get it back after 24hrs.

Phone should be confiscated at road side. You have to visit the police station to get it back after 24hrs.
Nope, that'll just get people to have 2 devices backed up at all times in the cloud.

I like that idea, but I'd have the phones picked up and delivered by an impound company. Let the police focus on enforcement.

I like that idea, but I'd have the phones picked up and delivered by an impound company. Let the police focus on enforcement.

I just picture some teen walking in, head down, somber. Listening to a lecture from the cop before getting it handed over.

How many repeats of that before they get the message? On top of other penalties of course.

Also what the heck else is the desk cop doing? No offense to peeps in blue :D

Go on? I'm not seeing the connection.
Meaning they can whip out their 2nd device and continue being reckless. Leaving driver unaffected.

Or simply have an old phone without even a SIM card that stays in the car and you hand it to the cop when you get "caught"

Meaning they can whip out their 2nd device and continue being reckless. Leaving driver unaffected.

Or simply have an old phone without even a SIM card that stays in the car and you hand it to the cop when you get "caught"

Well one assumes you still have to go pick it up, or not...if you don't care about $ I guess.

http://winnipegsun.com/news/provincial/manitoba-introduces-tougher-penalties-for-distracted-drivers

"Manitobans who fail to put down their cellphones while driving could soon face licence suspensions.

Infrastructure Minister Ron Schuler introduced a bill in the legislature Friday that would add suspensions for using handheld electronic devices while driving, which would last three days for a first offence and seven days for second and subsequent offences.

Schuler said the province must crack down on the offence, since the number of accidents caused by distracted driving skyrocketed from 2,415 in 2011 to 11,086 in 2016, according to Manitoba Public Insurance data. In 2016, those crashes were blamed for 138 serious injuries and 29 fatalities."

It's a start.

How about your G automatically becomes an G-2 then on second hit G-1?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom